Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda and Ford 1.6 Diesel to be big winners

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I done the maths of the Mazda 1.6 Diesel Touring model.

If you purchase a Mazda 3 1.6 diesel after July VRT rate will reduce from 25% to 16% based on CO2 rating published in brouchure of 128mg.

Car Tax will reduce from 453.33 (414 + 9.5%) to 150e per year.

Mazda 3 is very reliable and comfortable to drive. Ideal for me. At 26,995e + 375e for metalic paint I will be watching the price list very very closely come July 08.

I will be very interested to see if the distributors change the base price on cars to reflect the changes made in the budget or will they increase the price of cars like the Mazda 3. I reckon they will increase the base price. Its Ireland after all, this is how things work here.

Remember when the Euro was introduced, alot of shops used it to increase their prices.

Wait and see!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

And the new Focus 1.6D will come in at the bottom band due to 115g/km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

kluivert wrote: »

I think your getting mixed up with the road tax and the VRT. Road tax on a 1.6 will be 453.33, or rounded off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kluivert wrote: »
    I done the maths of the Mazda 1.6 Diesel Touring model.

If you purchase a Mazda 3 1.6 diesel after July VRT rate will reduce from 25% to 16% based on CO2 rating published in brouchure of 128mg.

Mazda 3 is very reliable and comfortable to drive. Ideal for me. At 26,995e + 375e for metalic paint I will be watching the price list very very closely come July 08.

I will be very interested to see if the distributors change the base price on cars to reflect the changes made in the budget or will they increase the price of cars like the Mazda 3. I reckon they will increase the base price. Its Ireland after all, this is how things work here.

Remember when the Euro was introduced, alot of shops used it to increase their prices.

Wait and see!

As I told you before they have to pass on the VRT saving/increase to you because to do otherwise is contrary to EU block exemption laws. The Opel Astra 1.3 CDTI falls into the 16% VRT band, since it pollutes 130 g/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi is going to be a winner as well. If E92 vrt calcs are correct then the price is going to drop from €25920 for the elegance model to €23142 and the road tax will drop from €550 to €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

not sure,but is a facelift octavia due soon? might be worth checking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I think your getting mixed up with the road tax and the VRT. Road tax on a 1.6 will be 453.33, or rounded off.

Telling an accountant that he go his taxes wrong - are you mad :D

What I meant was the difference in the savings if you where to buy brand new on 31/07/2008 compared to if you where to buy on 01/01/2008 for the same car.

Sorry if I didnt make this point clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

E92 wrote: »
    As I told you before they have to pass on the VRT saving/increase to you because to do otherwise is contrary to EU block exemption laws. The Opel Astra 1.3 CDTI falls into the 16% VRT band, since it pollutes 130 g/km.

What if they maintain the present prices but improve the spec of the cars? adding things like traction control, extra air bags.This would allow importers to maintain the present prices but not break the block exemption. (or have i got that arseways) Not having "special irish" models would also have a cost saving at production level. EG: making all UK and Irish models the same spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Ice_Box wrote: »
    And the new Focus 1.6D will come in at the bottom band due to 115g/km

Save your money and buy the petrol model. It'll be money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Altreab wrote: »
    What if they maintain the present prices but improve the spec of the cars? adding things like traction control, extra air bags.This would allow importers to maintain the present prices but not break the block exemption. (or have i got that arseways) Not having "special irish" models would also have a cost saving at production level. EG: making all UK and Irish models the same spec.

No you don't have it arseways. They could leave prices alone, as long as they increase the spec count so that the pre tax price is the same for the rest of Europe, that would be perfectly OK. You're still gaining because you now have a higher spec car.

When I say the pre tax price has to be the same I mean if you buy any car here and exactly the same car, same spec, engine etc somewhere else in the EU the pre tax price has to be identical. Different pre tax prices must mean that the spec level is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

No mention of the company that actually designed and build the 1.6 diesel engines used in both Mazdas & Fords :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Altreab wrote: »

I can see it now. DPP adds ALL other importers to the exitsing list of Ford and (was it Mazda) as Price Fixing Defendants for High court case on competitiveness!! :D:D

Advertisement