Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Clock Problem

• 07-12-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Here's a fairly odd thing that's been happening to my laptop over the past two weeks or so - the clock won't actually keep time properly, it seems to reset itself every time I switch it on. For example now it thinks it is 5am yesterday morning.
    If I manually change it, it works fine until it's turned off again. So far the only solution I found is to change the settings that sync to a web server. I have tried changing the server, and turning the sync off altogether, but it doesn't make any difference.
    I know it could be something to do with the bios, but I just wanted to see if anyone else here was having this problem and found some kind of answer. Thanks in advance if anyone replies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

CMOS battery damaged? Missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats what it sounds like.. to be sure though... next time you turn it on after having it off for a while.. put it in to BIOS BEFORE windows loads. If the bios does not keep time then its a battery problem... if the Bios is fine then windows is resetting it for some reason.

Laptop cmos batteries can a lot of the time not be replaced. Sometimes they can.. what laptop is it? make/model.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

OK, I hadn't thought of the battery... I'll check it out. I've heard that a good few people have been having the same problem, so I wasn't sure if it was Vista or the laptop itself.
    It's a HP DV6000 by the way, it's just under a year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If the BIOS battery was screwed it'd be going back to the default date set when it was manufactured, not to yesterday morning...

Could be that you've got a different time zone selected, and Windows is updating the time automatically based on that?

^^ It's definately set to GMT. I just restarted - the bios now thinks it's 6am yesterday. It has never set itself to the manufacturing date though...
    So... to replace or not to replace!?

• Advertisement

First thing first... CAN you replace it? Is it under warranty?

Indeed it is, I got a years warranty. Looks like I'll have to get on to HP.
    Thanks a million guys.

Whats the bets when you get on to HP india you will be asked to reinstall windows? :D

I think I'll just have myself a nervous breakdown if that happens! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To check the on board battery
    Go into the BIOS and check the time is ok
    turn off the PC disconnect the mains and remove the big laptop battery, then press the on/off button to remove any residual power
    leave overnight
    check the time in the BIOS again - if it's reset then hardware

the key thing here is not to go into windows during this so HP can't blame the software

if it's remembering the time overnight with no power then it's most likely software

• Advertisement
Advertisement