Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race of Champions

• 07-12-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

This weekend the "Race of Champions" takes place featuring an interesting line-up: Michael Schumacher, Jenson Button, David Coulthard, Marcus Gronholm, Petter Sollberg, NASCAR star Jimmie Johnson, and Champ Car star Sebastien Bourdais among others...

18 drivers in identical equipment racing around a purpose built track in Wembley - oh how I wish I could be there!!!

Being shown on SkySports - any chance at all of a pub showing it?!!! Who do ye think could take the crown.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I'd love is schuey could win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

was great last year watching Travis pastrana and Colin going head to head some of the best racing Ive seen in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

This is on next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

My money is on Loeb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 edwardh55

so many guys that will be quick but the Finnish team to win the nations cup and one of them to win the title, but ekstrom and Travis Pastrana (Amazing talent and seems a really nice guy) to be right up there, should be exciting stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Looking forward to this now cant wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Well what did you's think ? I thought it was very entertaining and Schumi did well getting to the final .. but I thought it was a bit unfair that they ending up doing two of the three final races in the same car ? Even the drivers seemed to be suprised this was the case .. anyway as soon as they said the 3rd race would be in the 'Solution F' car Schumi was beaten as it was his weakest car.

Vettel also did well in the Race of Nations part and did well to beat Ford Focus WRC'07 Driver Marcus Grönholm in a 07 Ford Focus RS WRC !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

v10 wrote: »
    Well what did you's think ? I thought it was very entertaining and Schumi did well getting to the final .. but I thought it was a bit unfair that they ending up doing two of the three final races in the same car ? Even the drivers seemed to be suprised this was the case .. anyway as soon as they said the 3rd race would be in the 'Solution F' car Schumi was beaten as it was his weakest car.

Vettel also did well in the Race of Nations part and did well to beat Ford Focus WRC'07 Driver Marcus Grönholm in a 07 Ford Focus RS WRC !!

Schumi wasn't allowed to race the Focus, the Aston Martin and one other car, can't remember which, becuase of his contract with Ferrari.

Maybe that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Great show savage job by vettel. Poor Jenson got beaten twice by schumacher, although Ekstrom beat him twice. It's wonder they couldn't work something out with the aston and the rally car, THAT would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Tauren wrote: »
    Schumi wasn't allowed to race the Focus, the Aston Martin and one other car, can't remember which, becuase of his contract with Ferrari.

Maybe that was it.
    Apparently they were to use the Fiat Abarth again .. thats what was supposed to happen, I dunno why it didn't. Bit unfair if you ask me as if 2 of the 3 rounds had taken place in the Buggys Schumi would proly have won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 edwardh55

v10 wrote: »
    Apparently they were to use the Fiat Abarth again .. thats what was supposed to happen, I dunno why it didn't. Bit unfair if you ask me as if 2 of the 3 rounds had taken place in the Buggys Schumi would proly have won.

Ekstrom may not have been allowed to drive the Fiat due to his contract with Audi, the solution F had no manufacturer markings and seemed like the best balance between all of the available cars, apart from the buggy...
    Did you see on Schumachers car in the final all of the names being taped up to cover logos like Michelin

I'm a huge fan of almost all motorsports but its quite sad to see the sport that commercial on what is supposed to be a fun night
    Also bring back Gran canaria that will show who the great drivers are!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

I was at the ROC on Sunday.

Schumacher was very impressive, I know he did not win but his driving stood out. It was great to see all the drivers relaxed and smiling.

The event seemed to run into a few problems and the atmosphere was not as good as I expected, but a good day was had by myself and my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Was it an expensive day out? Or was it worth the cost?

It looked like the stadium was empty - such is it's capacity. Atmosphere seemed like it was lacking alright, but I was putting this down to watching it on tv (Sky Sports).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

Flights were 90 euro each
    ROC ticket 55 pound
    Hotel room 55 pound

We had wanted to go on a day trip but the flight times back from Heathrow did not suit.

I have read there was 50,00 in attendance but it did seem very empty. It was v v cold there and a lot of people left early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I watched this on sky the other day. I would liken the atmosphere to watching a rugby 7s event. Its an all day affair so not going to get a buzzing atmosphere constantly. I can imagine that for some of the races there were probably pockets of fans of some drivers, but for the most part it would be very sedate. Not really sure if there would be any way to remedy this....you can't tell people when to cheer!

Advertisement