Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting in new build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi baud

Just be careful that the LED bulbs you're looking at are completely compatible with normal fittings - some are 20mm longer for example.

We're in the process of replacing our upstairs downlighters with LEDs as the 50w ones you get with the fittings are too bright anyway. We'll then use the cascaded bulbs in the fittings downstairs (mainly wall lights) until they blow and then replace them in turn.

One point to remember is that you can't mix LED and halogen GU10 on the same lighting circuit.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

One point to remember is that you can't mix LED and halogen GU10 on the same lighting circuit.

What's the reason for this? Are you talking about 220v circuits?
    I have mixed circuits without issue and I don't see why there would be a problem? :confused:

It was just something that our electrician said to us - that if you mix LED and halogen bulbs on the same circuit you can shorten the life of the LEDs on it. I assume it's something to do with the high current demands of the halogens but would welcome any enlightenment.

It also appears to be part of the guarantee/terms of use of most of these bulbs and at the best part of a tenner each I'm not messing about with them.:eek:

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

The only GU10's that I have seen that are longer are the CFL units and not LED units.... I could be wrong though....

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

bauderline wrote: »
    The only GU10's that I have seen that are longer are the CFL units and not LED units.... I could be wrong though....

Quotes from your own link above to Ultraleds:

"Please note this bulb is 20mm longer than a standard GU10 Bulb"

"Not to be used with dimmers or and the same circuit as standard GU10 bulbs"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

hi baud

Just be careful that the LED bulbs you're looking at are completely compatible with normal fittings - some are 20mm longer for example.

We're in the process of replacing our upstairs downlighters with LEDs as the 50w ones you get with the fittings are too bright anyway. We'll then use the cascaded bulbs in the fittings downstairs (mainly wall lights) until they blow and then replace them in turn.

SSE

I can agree with this as I did it and the 2 LEDs lasted a week.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ircoha wrote: »
    I can agree with this as I did it and the 2 LEDs lasted a week.:eek:
    I'd be intrigued to know the science behind that.

The only thing I can think of is that it might have something to do with what happens when the GU10 bulbs fail .. the gas in the bulb ionizes which potentially can cause a huge current surge. Most good quality bulbs have a built-in fuse that prevents this, but some el-cheapo ones don't. Still, that shouldn't have any effect on any other devices on the same circuit, unless they also create a temporary high voltage spike across them as well which might damage the LED bulbs somehow.

Note I'm not sure whether this means not to mix LED and Halogen on the same lighting circuit from the consumer unit - but we're avoiding doing this upstairs anyway. I'd say mixing LED and Halogen on the same room sub-circuit of 5/6/7 spotlights is a definite no-no.

I can actually beat ircoha's story below - one of our rooms downstairs has a dimmer and is wired two-way with the hallway. We had plugged in one of those cheapo Philips CFLs on 2-for-1 from Lidl and the light got turned on with the dimmer in the half-way position. About three seconds of flashing later and "poof"! The bulb actually went to the recycling centre on the same journey as the box it came in!

SSE

That's what you call blonde moment !

No matter, anyone seen an extra deep housing to accomodate this ?

Best regards, Baud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if you have the room above where the fitting will be installed there are deeper fitments that are spring loaded which will acomodate most gu-10 lamps inc led and cfl. ive replaced my lamps in the entrance hall with 7 watt cfl, but the fitings i have wouldnt suit the 11 watt cfl as they are slightly longer. hope this info is some use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

B&Q have GU10 LED bulbs. At least they do in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Alun wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is that it might have something to do with what happens when the GU10 bulbs fail .. the gas in the bulb ionizes which potentially can cause a huge current surge. Most good quality bulbs have a built-in fuse that prevents this, but some el-cheapo ones don't. Still, that shouldn't have any effect on any other devices on the same circuit, unless they also create a temporary high voltage spike across them as well which might damage the LED bulbs somehow.

Interesting that you can get an arc going when a filament fails - I'd always wondered why some bulbs said they were fused. Presumably this arc is the cause of the flash and 'pop' you sometimes get when a bulb goes. I imagine the heavier current suddenly stopping when the arc collapses is what causes the voltage spike.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hey - good info that! I always wondered why a single GU10 could take down my MCB!

Folks,

I think this is actually the light I was looking at originally, same size as GU10. How does this stack up against the conventional halogen 50W I wonder....

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/gu10-240v-watt-cree-warm-white-leds-spot-light-p-1594.html?osCsid=a1ba8c7a0615fa52237487958a34d34d

baud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

£24.99 for one bulb/led :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You will be a looooooong time making that back on the 'lecy bill

Two things to consider...

1. In a circa 5900 sq ft the energy consumption of numerous 50W GU10 units is not to be sniffed at. Its bad enough in a 2500 sq ft house.

2. The longevity of GU10 Halogen lights isn't great. If they are getting any sort of daily use expect to replace them twice a year. GE units last the longest by far but are not cheap ! You can buy El Cheapo ones but be prepared to go up and down a ladder like you know what......

I am going to buy a few of them after xmas and road test them in my existing house. I will post my findings here and there does not seem to be much information about how good or not they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I think you might be better off fitting dimmer switches wherever you can.
    They have a beneficial effect on lamp life as well as running costs.

Advertisement