Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show some respect

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

I dont think I need to point out the Katy French threads got out of hand last night on AH but I have to say this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54597038&postcount=145 was in extremely poor taste.

Call me cynical but if the poster wasnt a mod there would have been a lengthy, if not total ban adminstered I would guess.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Yeah. Mordeth being a dick isn't really anything new however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hang on, he was banned from the forum! What's your point?

He was banned by Gordon, an SMod. That thread was heavily moderated last night and many people were banned. More than one mod too!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, Mordeth was banned from the forum. I don't see what else you would want us to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Just a forum ban eh ....

Can't the comment be deleted :confused:

I seem to recall Thaedydal made a remark also but that comment has since been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The OP is talking about Afterhours, not Celebrity And Showbiz.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »

Correct, sorry if there was any confusion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

actually, I'm not banned from AH I'm banned from celebrity.
    also, what the hell was wrong with that? I didn't insult her, I didn't call her a druggie whore like so many had been doing on the thread, I didn't say 'she deserved it, I don't feel any sympathy for her'. I simply alluded to the fact that it was I who was responsible for her death, and that Karoma was next.

also i'd like it if Myth were banned for personal abuse, .|.

Mordeth wrote: »
    I simply alluded to the fact that it was I who was responsible for her death

If you can't see whats wrong with that then I'm sorry I bothered my hole even posting here.

so am I, you could have fed a starving child, or laid a wreath at ms french's hospital.

shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So he is, nevertheless the point still stands that Mordeth was banned from C&S as were a lot of people, so I fail to see how any mod favouritism is being shown towards him and that seems to be the main nature of the complaint.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So he is, nevertheless the point still stands that Mordeth was banned from C&S as were a lot of people, so I fail to see how any mod favouritism is being shown towards him and that seems to be the main nature of the complaint.

The post was made in AH.

Inappropriate comment - Check
    Banning offence - Check
    Is the poster a mod? - Check
    Poster Banned - Nope

After Hours is "looser" than the other forums, in the sense that it's more like pub talk than anything. I can see Mordeth making a comment like that over a few pints and I don't think anyone would be overly offended.

A non-mod making the same comment wouldn't have been banned.

I'm a mod of the Discworld Forum..... I don't know if you overestimate the power of Pratchett... but I don't have as much sway here as you seem to think.

seamus wrote: »
    I can see Mordeth making a comment like that over a few pints and I don't think anyone would be overly offended.

I can also see Harold Shipman talking about his 'achievements' over a few pints, doesnt mean its not offensive, to be fair.

Anyway, I've made my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sizzler, you are incorrect if you are trying to say that mods won't be banned from forums when users will. Let's just nip that in the bud now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sizzler wrote: »
    I can also see Harold Shipman talking about his 'achievements' over a few pints, doesnt mean its not offensive, to be fair.

Anyway, I've made my point.

Um ... you have? All I see is a ridiculous attempt to equate a comment by a poster with a serial killer.

Bravo ....

Well done Mordeth, you're now a convicted serial killer!

Sizzler, that's one of the worst comparisons I've ever read. Just sitting in Harold Shipman's presence would be ultra-offensive to most people. Especially now that he's a rotting corpse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh i'm banned from Ah again ? dang it!

*points and laughs at thaed*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh i'm banned from Ah again ? dang it!

What Thaed did: Posted.

What Thaed did next: Got banned.

:P

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    Um ... you have? All I see is a ridiculous attempt to equate a comment by a poster with a serial killer.

Bravo ....

FFS.

It was a tasteless comment, that was my point, if you thought not, then BRAVO to you my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

why is everybody so upset at the death of katy french. yes any death is bad, but the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

i agree that heavy modding was needed, this is a private site, and the wrong words can land us in a lot of crap.
    but it's not as if mordeth was serious.

Tasteless - offensive to some, humourous to others.

Murder - Offensive to most. Humourous to psychos.

and inferring that someone you don't know is akin to one of the most prolific serial killers in recent memory *isn't* tasteless?

Sizzler, you are incorrect if you are trying to say that mods won't be banned from forums when users will. Let's just nip that in the bud now.

Good enough for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't go there Jizzy! People get right up annoyed at small things, even if they make sense... Ya, it was a terrible comment, but one which was probably funny in the context it was used it. People are too sensitive to be getting annoyed at what an anonymous person types on a forum...

Mordeth wrote: »
    and inferring that someone you don't know is akin to one of the most prolific serial killers in recent memory *isn't* tasteless?
    Seamus wrote:

Tasteless - offensive to some, humourous to others.

Works both ways it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Famous ?

Never heard of the bint until she landed herself in hospital from too much 'partying'.

Nice find Mordyboots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I could be mistaken but I think the point the OP is trying to make is that the comments made by the mods who had the hands smacked were totally inappropriate and in some cases, idiotic. Irregardless of bannings, its not really the behaviour that you would expect from individuals who were selected to moderate other forums on boards. Im sure the criteria for their selection didnt include their ability to post ban worthy material.

mods are posters too (and not just for christmas!) but surely there is a line where you have to say cop on lads. Granted they were banned or whatever but really they shouldnt have posted crap like that in the first place.

Advertisement