Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show some respect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

*paging dredre...drdre, please report to the morgue...*

funny-pictures-bored-cat.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Kharn wrote: »
    How many fucking times do we have to say this: Mods are only mods on their own board. Give us a fucking break - why can't we enjoy this site the way the rest of you (l)Users do?

Some dumb bint took coke and died - it happens! It's a horrible drug and turns people into total arseholes and so if this high profile bull makes people stop doing coke then Katy French has done a lot more in death than she could have ever hoped to accomplish in life.

I couldnt give a right swinging mickey where a mod posts and if they fool around on forums. However surely there is a point where a bit of cop is expected? IMO it doesnt reflect well, but thats just my opinion. Swear all you want, thats my 2 cents. I dont buy into all that fight the power nonsense i just wanted to add my opinion to the discussion as constructively but if the response i get a heated swear induced post and someone else suggesting i want to "oppress" them then forget it. Clearly the some of the discussion here is no better here than in the katy french threads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

* looks for traces of white powder on that kitteh's face

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you know what does reflect well? sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

While I always Karaoma's general condescending tone towards AH users is very comic book guy-esque, I don't think he/she should have had to spend so much time moderating the thread.

I really truly don't understand why those who had nothing to say about this girl couldn't just stay away from it. Surely they could have bitten their tongues. If some old boy down the road died, I wouldn't dream of going round shouting me mouth off about him. Not coz I'm some kind of moral pillar, but because I'm a human being. What I'm asking is what motivates people to come online and go to the effort of abusing a dead person???!!!!??? It's truly the most extreme for of kicking somebody while they're down.

I'm involved in international children's public health with work. I would kill to get this kind of publicity for all the thouasands upon thousands of kids round the planet who die of treatable diarrhoea every day. Not one of them will get the publicity that Katy did. To that end, I accept it's ot of proportion.

It's really no reason to abuse a dead person though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

tell-me-when-its-over.jpg

faceman wrote: »
    I couldnt give a right swinging mickey where a mod posts and if they fool around on forums. However surely there is a point where a bit of cop is expected? IMO it doesnt reflect well, but thats just my opinion. Swear all you want, thats my 2 cents. I dont buy into all that fight the power nonsense i just wanted to add my opinion to the discussion as constructively but if the response i get a heated swear induced post and someone else suggesting i want to "oppress" them then forget it. Clearly the some of the discussion here is no better here than in the katy french threads.
    There is no discussion to be had on this matter as we've gone over it time and time again. Mods are resigning their post left right and centre (there's now only 1 politics mod in a 24 hour period for example) because you the users deem that we are supposed to be some sort of saint-like figure on this site because we have offered our time and energy to the community for what are becomming increasingly less rewards. If we want to troll, we will troll and if there is punishment necessary, then let the mod of whatever board hand out a ban. There is no way in any level of hell that we should have to "behave" in a certain manner because ye muppets can't get it into your thick heads that we're all on the same standing. Why is this such a difficult concept for people to understand?

Y'see that's where draw the line - abusing a dead person.

You want to bitch about how she gets attention for dying? Do so.
    You want to bitch about how she gets attention for dying when millions of others die each day? Do so.
    You want to discuss the cause of death after it has been established? Do so in a grown-up and somewhat respectful manner. Something semi-good can come from this but nothing remotely good can come from "dat junkie scum deserved to died THE SUN TOLD ME SO" ¬_¬

Mordeth wrote:
    you know what does reflect well? sunlight.
    And this is why I tolerate you, little man. :)

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I really truly don't understand why those who had nothing to say about this girl couldn't just stay away from it. Surely they could have bitten their tongues. If some old boy down the road died, I wouldn't dream of going round shouting me mouth off about him. Not coz I'm some kind of moral pillar, but because I'm a human being. What I'm asking is what motivates people to come online and go to the effort of abusing a dead person???!!!!??? It's truly the most extreme for of kicking somebody while they're down.

You know what pisses me off about this whole Katy French thing? Is that people are wasting so much time on it. We have national f*cking newspapers devoting four f*cking pages (including front-headlines) to this woman with a history of cocaine abuse whilst she was "mysteriously" hospitalised, and now we have more crap after her death.

Do we not have more pressing matters to concern ourselves with? How about the fact that our country appears to have no-one at the helm steering it because or senior political leadership is so corrupt and/or incompetent, or a housing market that's beyond f*cked up, or our road deaths (which funnily enough get about 2 seconds air-time compared to four f*cking pages in a national newspaper), or our never-ending HSE scandals, or any other number of REAL issues.

No, instead the media decides it's going to cover an utterly trivial matter akin to the spice girls latest shopping spree or something equally lame. That someone died is a shame and my condolences to her family. But it's not a national f*cking tragedy.

So cop the f*ck on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Sizzler wrote: »
    I dont think I need to point out the Katy French threads got out of hand last night on AH but I have to say this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54597038&postcount=145 was in extremely poor taste.

Call me cynical but if the poster wasnt a mod there would have been a lengthy, if not total ban adminstered I would guess.

The only solution is to wait until Mordeth (or any other of the people on this site making a joke out of what happened to Katy French) happen to end up in a similar situation, ie on a life support machine...then you and I can make plenty of jokes about it and laugh because it will be funny you have to admit...funnier still if he dies and many people lament his passing...in fact all tragedies have comic value really, the bigger the tragedy the more humourous..sure that holocaust was a laugh, the Rwandan genocide, man that was a funny one..

By the way Admins, i'm being ironic here...in case you are thinking of banning me...

• Advertisement

1181592538-20149ignore.jpg

you're not very good at irony if you have to tell people you're being ironic.

I know I'll laugh when Mord dies - it's what he'd have wanted, erm, I mean will want...

<_<

>_>

i'll be sure to die with something amusing stuck in my anus
    just for boards.ie

Kharn wrote: »
    I know I'll laugh when Mord dies - it's what he'd have wanted, erm, I mean will want...

<_<

>_>

The suicide note will confirm this.
    Remember our plan: Break his right hand - this will reduce his love life and avoid suspicions about the suicide note...
    Next: we import the dodgy coke and dodgier hooker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Karoma wrote: »
    Y'see that's where draw the line - abusing a dead person.

You want to bitch about how she gets attention for dying? Do so.
    You want to bitch about how she gets attention for dying when millions of others die each day? Do so.
    You want to discuss the cause of death after it has been established? Do so in a grown-up and somewhat respectful manner. Something semi-good can come from this but nothing remotely good can come from "dat junkie scum deserved to died THE SUN TOLD ME SO" ¬_¬

/shrug

Legally you can not defame, slander or libel a dead person.

and both Tallagh01 and Lemming are right the level of publicity on this is disgusting and if I want to express my disgust in the manner which I did then I will and if there are consequences then so be it.

no need to import the hooker, karomas granny will do just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Mordeth wrote: »
    you're not very good at irony if you have to tell people you're being ironic.

lol.
    We have all lost someone who died through no fault of their own , difference is when your in the limelight , your in the limelight for everything good and bad , and unfortunately right now , this case brings up an issue that has been brushed under the carpet when it is Joe Bloggs doing and dying from it.

I don't need to hear it like everyone else , we all know drug use is for the ones who take one day at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Lemming wrote: »
    You know what pisses me off about this whole Katy French thing? Is that people are wasting so much time on it. We have national f*cking newspapers devoting four f*cking pages (including front-headlines) to this woman with a history of cocaine abuse whilst she was "mysteriously" hospitalised, and now we have more crap after her death.

Do we not have more pressing matters to concern ourselves with? How about the fact that our country appears to have no-one at the helm steering it because or senior political leadership is so corrupt and/or incompetent, or a housing market that's beyond f*cked up, or our road deaths (which funnily enough get about 2 seconds air-time compared to four f*cking pages in a national newspaper), or our never-ending HSE scandals, or any other number of REAL issues.

No, instead the media decides it's going to cover an utterly trivial matter akin to the spice girls latest shopping spree or something equally lame. That someone died is a shame and my condolences to her family. But it's not a national f*cking tragedy.

So cop the f*ck on.

As my post was the one quoted by you, am i to assume that the "cop the **** on" remark was directed at me?

Coz, funnily enough, i'd just brought up the point you made. I would love the publicity for world health inequality, that katy french got for dying. However, the fact that you think things are out of proportion, doesn't mean tat we should abuse her.
    Imagine if her family read some of the comments on here. I mean, parts of it would presumably make them physically ill

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Legally you can not defame, slander or libel a dead person.
    I know. Again, I pretty much said this in the thread in AH... As per the title of this thread it's about common f'ing decency and a little bit of cop-on not a legal matter. We have taken this approach to previous deaths and their respective threads. There is a line. For the love of Jebus! can we not see there's a problem here when I think something has gone too far?
    and both Tallagh01 and Lemming are right the level of publicity on this is disgusting and if I want to express my disgust in the manner which I did then I will and if there are consequences then so be it.
    Couldn't agree more. Same goes for the Maddie McCann thread in terms of level of public and media attention and in terms of bans for making offensive jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Threads like this are nearly enough to make me start a SA account and boards be damned.

Really let take al these whiney pansys and make them read SA in all it's glory for 18 hours and see if they can recalibrate their brains.

Where have the lulz gone :(

As my post was the one quoted by you, am i to assume that the "cop the **** on" remark was directed at me?

No, it was aimed at everybody making a big deal out of this whole fiasco.
    Coz, funnily enough, i'd just brought up the point you made. I would love the publicity for world health inequality, that katy french got for dying. However, the fact that you think things are out of proportion, doesn't mean tat we should abuse her.
    Imagine if her family read some of the comments on here. I mean, parts of it would presumably make them physically ill

TBH, no more so than if some scandal had errupted about her in life and people were commenting/speculating.

And incidentally, who said anything about abusing her? I'm not. I'm just telling everyone to have a large glass of "cop the f*ck on" over this.

Mordeth wrote: »
    no need to import the hooker, karomas granny will do just fine.

Heh. She probably would be too much woman for you to handle, little man. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Asking for trouble if they did.

When drugs are involved , you know there are members of the public who will vent their dissaprovement , respect or not.
    If it was your local chav who it happened to , would you care about his family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't imagine what train of thought would lead any member of the French family to trawl through boards looking for threads about thier recently deceased.

The various threads about the woman have merely shown up the power of cheap sentiment.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the publicity is entirely to do with who she was. The previous weekend's shenanigans provided something of a magnifying glass through which this became something much bigger.

15 people collapse at a house party, a couple of them die. We all say, "Ah shure they were only junkie scumbags", the media tut-tuts about drugs and there's some talking of it.
    Then the following weekend (timing couldn't have been better), the exact same thing occurs, except this time it's a well-to-do media darling, seemingly squeaky clean, whom the media had built up as an all-round good time girl.

So now the media are in flavour country. The drugs issue was big, but now they can make wild claims about Mother Teresa herself being a coke addict.

It's further compounded by a total silence on the whole thing. The people who were at that party could have instantly squashed any rumours of drug abuse. But they didn't. They all zipped up, shut up and probably ran to their solicitors for advice. That for me says more than anything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

faceman wrote: »
    However surely there is a point where a bit of cop is expected?

Yes, the 'cop on' is expected in the forum they moderate. They got to moderate that forum because the Admins knew they could trust them to do the job well.
    IMO it doesnt reflect well

Reflect well on what exactly?
    Outside the forum they moderate, a mod can act like any other user. They are not 'special' on all other forums and will be treated like any other user.
    Many, many mods have been banned from other forums because of their behaviour.

There's no doubt Mordie swings his ass pretty close to the fire at times, but at least he's funny to watch and has always taken his bans on the chin.

As for this French person, never heard of her until she got sick.
    Couldn't agree more with Karoma and Lemming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Karoma wrote: »
    "Banning offence - Check" - Says who?! You?!

Isn't threatening to kill you a bannable offence? Or would that just make him angry and it'd no longer be a threat...:eek:

humanji wrote: »
    Isn't threatening to kill you a bannable offence? Or would that just make him angry and it'd no longer be a threat...:eek:

humanji - Banned from life.

• Advertisement

Absolutely correct Seamus - where are her "friends" to say she wasn't doing something she shouldn't have been? The media would be only too happy to run with that too.

Advertisement