Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show some respect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If someone is moderating for "rewards", then they probably shouldn't be doing it at all. And yes, I do believe that Mods should show a little cop-on, no matter where they post.

It's all very well churning out the "we're not mods outside our own forums" mantra, but let's face it, that's not how it appears, or ever will, to the majority of users and it's increasingly hard to communicate that to a growing membership.

Hats off chief, probably the most sensible post in here today from a Moderator, all is not lost.

Can I vote for you on the Best Mod of 2007 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Thaedydal wrote: »
    ok fair enough there are limits but I don't think what i said was that out of line tbh
    not like I used any of the offensive terms for a person dying like checked into the maggot motel, or that she has a whole new range of nercophila pinup posters coming out soon.

Can someone ban this guy?? Its just he gets on peoples nerves...and his sense of humour is tasteless..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Typical bloke. He should be ashamed.

Teeheehee maggot motel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Gordon wrote: »
    Sizzler, you are incorrect if you are trying to say that mods won't be banned from forums when users will. Let's just nip that in the bud now.

He's right. I've been banned from many forums, even site banned for 1 month before. Just because we are mods does not mean we can claim diplomatic immunity. I wish we could though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'd just like to thank all the 'edgy' posters both here and on the original thread for their witty comments. I've a lot to learn from you, both online and in the real world.

Similarly, those who brought to my attention the scandalous lack of coverage of serious issues in our media. Our health system is in a jock? Can someone PM me the details, no one ever told me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

My own opinion is that, while I concede 110% that mods are treated like other users outside of their own fora on a forum by forum basis, their treatment sitewide is not.

In rare instances, behaviour by a mod is tolerated, where say, if the same trait was exhibited by a noob poster over the course of a 20 or 30 post account, they would most likely be subjected to, at least, a temporary siteban.

I don't have a retort, or an answer for this, despite the clamouring by some users here for an explanation.

Bottom line, the admins set the rules of this site, we consent to them by our presence here.

@ Anti: I don't want diplomatic immunity, and for the great majority of mods, such a move wouldn't be necessary anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

faceman wrote: »
    it didnt reflect well on a surface level of the moderating job

I don't imagine it needs to reflect well on a surface level of the moderating 'job'.

If you found out that your school janitor liked to tell dirty jokes in his spare time, would you feel it might interfere with how efficiently he cleans the jacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

would like to say my peice on this, some of the behaviour last night on the boards were just shocking, regardless if it was on after hours or not, at the end on the day someone died, regardless who they are or the events leading to their death no one deserves some of the slaging that was given out last night, we are continully reminded that due to the way this site is owned/ran, we have to be carful what we say, regardless of the forum, or the postion of the poster

i'll admit, i hadn't really heard of ms french much before these weeks events, but shes a human being, her family are hurting, give her and them the respect they deserve, nothing yet has been proven surrounding the events of last weekend, until then, really think people should be keeping there opinions out of a public forum

unfortunalty, i dont think the events stopped with what started as a trubute forum in the AH and celebraty boards, there was furthers attempt to raise attention to this in my own opinion last night with the creation of more subjects/discussion, altough not with ms french's name in the title, the days events could suggest they were possible related, and altough not mentioned by the OP, furhter posters did make drug/death related references

reading through some of the posts in this thread it seams the references have not stoped, with at least one coke/cocaine reference being posted,

dont really want to say any more on the topic my self, have said my peice, and now want to leave it as that

RIP katy, thoughts and condolances to your family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Stop boring everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

omg ronan, that's so edgy

• Advertisement

Edgy like a fox carrying a stanley blade.

http://digg.com/celebrity/Top_Model_Katy_French_24yrs_Old_is_Dead

hahahaha

read the comments, and you thought it was bad here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Mordeth wrote: »

hahahaha

Yeah their pretty good... I mean bad... Still the " did she drop any loot " was fooking funny. Still 4can and Somethingawfull are much better/worse depending how you take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The thread was locked, but that wasn't enough for some people.
    No. Some people wanted the posts deleted. But even that wasn't enough for others. They wanted heads to roll.

One or two people were banned as a result of that thread.
    They were banned because I made a point of saying that any speculation regarding the cause of her death would result in a ban. They broke that rule. They were banned.

While Mordeth's comment was in poor taste, it was no worse than some of the posts I deleted before reopening the thread. In fact, it was tame in comparison.

Then you have the other side. The people who think it's funny to take the piss out of someone who isn't even in the grave yet. The ones bitching and moaning about no being allowed to do so. The ones who cry about the lack of free speech, but only when it suits them.

I'll just say this; DeVore has said on several occasions that threads taking the piss out of/ bitching about etc. those who are not members here should not be allowed.
    In fairness, he was generally referring to certain companies and the likes of college professors who were the subjects of, well, not very nice comments.

I took this on board and applied it to Katy French. After all, it's not like she can now post on boards and deny that she died from doing coke.

If you don't like that policy, then you have two choices.

You can post in the sticky at the top of AH and voice your disapproval or you can blow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1207/frenchk.html
    A post mortem examination has concluded that the model Katy French suffered brain damage.

It has also emerged tonight that the 24-year-old, who died yesterday evening, had taken cocaine before she was admitted to hospital early on Sunday morning.

The examination was conducted at Our Lady's Hospital in Navan by the State Pathologist, Professor Marie Cassidy.

Stop boring everyone.

If this is the quality of your posts I think you should stick to your observations on the eircom league and leave it at that son.

Thaedydal wrote: »

Confirms the speculation but certainly doesnt vindicate or excuse the stuff that Terry / Karoma had to deal with the last few days.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Confirms the speculation but certainly doesnt vindicate or excuse the stuff that Terry / Karoma had to deal with the last few days.
    Actually, it does. In a roundabout sort of way.
    If it's ok with Karoma, I'd like Thaedydal's ban lifted, because she was correct in her assumption.

She was incorrect in that she broke the rules. However, those rules are now null and void as it has emerged that cocaine was behind her death.

Open season so :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

hahahaha

roffle

Quality Link Mordie.

"She come from the mustard making family? I love mustard. I hope this doesn't affect production"

Terry wrote: »
    Actually, it does. In a roundabout sort of way.
    If it's ok with Karoma, I'd like Thaedydal's ban lifted, because she was correct in her assumption.

She was incorrect in that she broke the rules. However, those rules are now null and void as it has emerged that cocaine was behind her death.

I can see that bitting you in the ass Terrence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I can see that bitting you in the ass Terrence!
    Didn't take long.
    ziggy wrote:
    Are their any "non-mods" who were banned that are going to be pardoned?
    If there were any banned, then yes.
    It's Karoma's call though. He did the banning.
    Whatever decision he makes will be supported by me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

you can't compare normal users to Thaed. she mods like three forums, that makes her at least 3 times more important.

at *least*

Terry wrote: »
    Didn't take long.

Plenary indulgence.

Infallibility.

Negating the Word of Mod.

It is like Dogma II The Boards.ie Scenario.

Plenary indulgence.

Infallibility.

Negating the Word of Mod.

It is like Dogma II The Boards.ie Scenario.
    Karoma hasn't said yes. Yet.

If this thread represents the cathedral, then you still have a chance to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DeVore wrote: »
    I'd love to get all the people who think we should remove all this stuff, in a room with all the people who scream Freedom Of Speech, with a big laz-e-boy chair and a supersize bucket of popcorn.

DeV.
    I see your supersize bucket of popcorn, and raise you a supersize bucket of lolcats, flung crazy-cat-woman-from-Simpsons style at the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

you can't compare normal users to Thaed. she mods like three forums, that makes her at least 3 times more important.

at *least*

Bollix to that it's 5 forums but honestly that should not come into it
    the fact i have been banned twice before form AH maybe should but that was a loooooooooong time ago.

Advertisement