Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show some respect

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Terry wrote: »
    Actually, it does. In a roundabout sort of way.
    If it's ok with Karoma, I'd like Thaedydal's ban lifted, because she was correct in her assumption.

She was incorrect in that she broke the rules. However, those rules are now null and void as it has emerged that cocaine was behind her death.
    Seriously, Terry, that will bite you and every other mod in the ass.

We all have to obey the rules as they are now, not as they may be tomorrow if circumstances change. I'm sure 90% of posters on this site made the same assumption (I certainly did) ... if we all posted based on that assumption, and on the further assumption that we would be proved right tomorrow, and any bans etc. would be lifted, what kind of chaos would ensue? If that thread took a fair bit of cleaning up last night, how much more would it have taken if that scenario was in effect?

I'm not saying that because of any difficulty with Thaed or Mord ... far from it, I enjoy them both ... but they are both big enough to take responsibility for their actions (and in fairness, neither of them is whinging, nor would I expect them to.)

Mordeth wrote: »
    i'll be sure to die with something amusing stuck in my anus
    just for boards.ie
    Well, given that we know not the day nor the hour!

Oh wait ... actually, that explains a lot, come to think of it! :rolleyes:

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'm involved in international children's public health with work. I would kill to get this kind of publicity for all the thousands upon thousands of kids round the planet who die of treatable diarrhoea every day. Not one of them will get the publicity that Katy did.
    Lemming wrote: »
    You know what pisses me off about this whole Katy French thing? Is that people are wasting so much time on it. We have national f*cking newspapers devoting four f*cking pages (including front-headlines) to this woman with a history of cocaine abuse whilst she was "mysteriously" hospitalised, and now we have more crap after her death.

Do we not have more pressing matters to concern ourselves with? How about the fact that our country appears to have no-one at the helm steering it because or senior political leadership is so corrupt and/or incompetent, or a housing market that's beyond f*cked up, or our road deaths (which funnily enough get about 2 seconds air-time compared to four f*cking pages in a national newspaper), or our never-ending HSE scandals, or any other number of REAL issues.

No, instead the media decides it's going to cover an utterly trivial matter akin to the spice girls latest shopping spree or something equally lame. That someone died is a shame and my condolences to her family. But it's not a national f*cking tragedy.
    The core point about the whole thing, from my point of view, and probably a lot of what gets people riled up to throw mud and take the mickey.

I've nothing against Katy French, I'm sorry the kid fucked up her life and caused such heartbreak to her family, I certainly can't say that I never did anything stupid or wrong, and given that fact, I'm in no hurry to throw stones at anyone else.

Mind you, that doesn't mean that I'm going to go on a PC bender either because someone makes a smart comment or tells a joke ... nor do I believe in re-writing history to sanctify someone simply because they're dead, that's pure hypocrisy, and I swear, if someone tries to do it to me when I drop, i'll come back and fucking haunt them! (You have been warned!1! :p )

But the guys are right ... every year kids die drug-related deaths in Ireland, some of them die alone in agony in alleyways in the cities, many with histories of abuse, of homelessness, of psychiatric illness or whatever ... do they get front page spreads in all the newspapers, unless to complain that they may be damaging the tourist trade or our "image"?

What about, as Tallaght01 says, the thousands of kids who die in the world each year from easily treatable ailments which could probably be cured by the medicines we throw into the bottom of a drawer in case of a hangover? Do they get front page coverage in our papers for a week?

I have the same reaction to the Maddie McCann furore. Of course I have sympathy for that poor kid, whatever the hell it eventually turns out happened to her ... but how many thousands of children around the world are abducted each year, and sold into sex slavery, or just into slavery in child labour factories, and tossed carelessly into a ditch when their undernourished and overworked bodies finally wear out? Do they appear on the front page of our newspapers each day? And when they do occasionally appear, how often is it a cynical journalistic exercise and how often a genuine attempt to raise awareness and encourage a useful response?

Now, I'm not suggesting either that we wrap ourselves in sackcloth and ashes and spend our days weeping for those kids ... much use that would do them! I am saying that I understand why people react to hypocrisy with irritation, and why that irritation sometimes turns into taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I would still urge caution about the whole cocaine angle at the moment.

Many people are crying 'open season' because they think the preliminary postmortem had found evidence of cocaine use.

This is complete BS because it would take even the most efficient toxicology lab at least 24 hours to conduct a full analysis on bloods.

The whole rumour-mill is now working overtime because of some pretty reckless journalism at RTE. Here's the text of their report:

A post mortem examination has concluded that the model Katy French suffered brain damage.

It has also emerged tonight that the 24-year-old, who died yesterday evening, had taken cocaine before she was admitted to hospital early on Sunday morning.

The examination was conducted at Our Lady's Hospital in Navan by the State Pathologist, Professor Marie Cassidy.

Pay close attention to the second paragraph. It breaks all the rules of good journalism. It makes the reader infer that Katy French's death was brought about cocaine use. It doesn't state 'when' Katy French took cocaine, it doesn't state from 'whom' the fact emerged and it doesn't state 'where' Katy French had previous taken the drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Dublinwriter is spot on. Cocaine can cause bleeds into the brain. But the two aren't neccesarily linked. They may be. But they may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thank you dublin writer, hope every one else reads that as well, in addation to that, it doesn't say wether the cocaine use had led to her hospital admission, nor does it say it led to her death

at present, what we know is, she colasped at a freinds house, she was taken to hospital, was in intensive care, and died, none of the causing factors, to any of these events are yet to be proven, or revelaed to the public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sizzler wrote: »
    If this is the quality of your posts I think you should stick to your observations on the eircom league and leave it at that son.

Daddy??!:eek:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If someone is moderating for "rewards", then they probably shouldn't be doing it at all. And yes, I do believe that Mods should show a little cop-on, no matter where they post.

It's all very well churning out the "we're not mods outside our own forums" mantra, but let's face it, that's not how it appears, or ever will, to the majority of users and it's increasingly hard to communicate that to a growing membership.

I think ALL people should display some cop-on when they post.

I don't care what anyone thinks, so long as its not true.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I would still urge caution about the whole cocaine angle at the moment.

Many people are crying 'open season' because they think the preliminary postmortem had found evidence of cocaine use.

This is complete BS because it would take even the most efficient toxicology lab at least 24 hours to conduct a full analysis on bloods.

The whole rumour-mill is now working overtime because of some pretty reckless journalism at RTE.
    You were right:
    Garda sources last night rejected reports that traces of cocaine were found in the postmortem, saying cocaine cannot be found in such an examination. This can only be revealed by toxicological tests, which can take four to six weeks.
    Full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hmm. That changes things.

quote from irish examiner

"Garda sources last night rejected reports that traces of cocaine were found in the postmortem, saying cocaine cannot be found in such an examination. This can only be revealed by toxicological tests, which can take four to six weeks.

The autopsy was carried out by State Pathologist Marie Cassidy at Our Lady’s Hospital in Navan yesterday. A Garda source revealed the results showed no sign Katy had taken any illegal substance."

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=49918-qqqx=1.asp

with the above in mind, think it still needs to be emphased that speculation is avoided in relation to the events leading to ms french' hospital admission and her death

think it also needs to mentioned and condolances given to the family and friends of the second waterfordman who died in hospital today following 21st birthday party two weeks ago

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1208/waterford.html

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Actually, it does. In a roundabout sort of way.
    If it's ok with Karoma, I'd like Thaedydal's ban lifted, because she was correct in her assumption.

She was incorrect in that she broke the rules. However, those rules are now null and void as it has emerged that cocaine was behind her death.

Still away for a while. Quick note: She was banned for speculating. Any bans put in place are staying in place.

I'll read everything and reply later on but that bit I'm sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Correct me if i am wrong, do we now know how she died? Or what killed her?
    If she died because she was on drugs then i have no sympathy for her, if it wasn't then she was too young to die!
    I had so much to say on the afterhours thread but there seem to be loads of posters getting banned! Don't want to be banned yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Correct me if i am wrong, do we now know how she died? Or what killed her?
    If she died because she was on drugs then i have no sympathy for her, if it wasn't then she was too young to die!
    I had so much to say on the afterhours thread but there seem to be loads of posters getting banned! Don't want to be banned yet:)

Yep it was because of drugs as far as the papers are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The AH thread has been deleted.

It has? ... still showing for me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Why was it deleted? Are we not allowed to express our opinions?

think it was due to all the speculation, and some inconsiderate comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Why was it deleted? Are we not allowed to express our opinions?

On a locked thread? ... um, no.

On any other thread? I'd prefer that you didn't; but you will anyway. They all do. Bastards. Go on! Ask for free speech! I DARE YA!!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I heard they found traces of semen in her blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Binomate wrote: »
    I heard they found traces of semen in her blood.

I kinda choked as I laughed there. Good show :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement