Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TH42px70 - xbox and DVD

• 07-12-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have also posted this question in the HE display forum, but i thought i might try here too. sorry for any cross-postings

have a quick question: i have the xbox connected via component and set to 720p for the mo (on a panny 42px70 1080i plasma). however when i play a dvd, the input changes from 720p to 576p. i thought that the xbox was capable of upscaling and that the dvd will play at whatever the display is set in the xbox, or am i being a complete pleb?

I appreciate any help or advice
    Cheers,
    scobius

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

I may be wrong, but i think you need to use a VGA or HDMI connection to get upscaled DVD,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm pretty sure the xbox does not upscale DVD's. The HD-DVD drive might do it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

yeah no HD-DVD drive :(

but i (via a mate) found this which seems to answer my q and confirm all your opinions

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=125#MicrosoftXbox%20360%20(Component)

cheers for you help guys ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

BTW why do you have a 1080i TV set to 720p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

xbox 360 upscales DVD's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Scobius90 wrote: »
    have a quick question: i have the xbox connected via component and set to 720p for the mo (on a panny 42px70 1080i plasma). however when i play a dvd, the input changes from 720p to 576p. i thought that the xbox was capable of upscaling and that the dvd will play at whatever the display is set in the xbox, or am i being a complete pleb?

You need to get your xbox connected to the internet, and download the latest update. You shouldn't have any problems upconverting your DVD's then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Simona1986 wrote: »
    BTW why do you have a 1080i TV set to 720p?

I always set my output to 720p. Reason being: most 1080i TVs are in fact 768p TVs. So they have to deinterlace a 1080i image AND squash it down, which ca cause flicker/digital artifacting.

720P however means that no deinterlacing is involved, and because the 720 is so close to the 768 of the TV, there is very little "digital involvement", That's the best way I can describe it, apologies of it sounds like waffle. Many people clai the 1080i is better because of the 60frames per second (as opposed to 720p's 30fps) but I personally don't see a difference!

Advertisement