Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Better idea than speed cameras

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I was unlucky enough to have to head into Dublin city centre last night in the car. (Shoot me Mr Green I needed my car sorry)

Firstly - the traffic was absolutely atrocious, but thats to be expected..
    What I did notice was how much of it is caused by bad driving.

So my proposal would be that rather than waste their time and effort with speed cameras wouldn't "red light" cameras be a better option - they certainly would stop some of the idiocy we see at lights.

Also "yellow box" cameras might stop plebs pulling into yellow boxes that are clearly blocked - if your car is stationary in one for more than 10 seconds, click click - fine
    Lastly tools who pull onto roundabouts that clearly are going to just block people leaving from another exit - click click, fine.

Any ideas on whether this might help or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

would definately help, the main aim of this years operation freeflowis to keep junctions, yellows boxes and roundabouts free from blockage but because its mostly inexperienced gardai not even out of college yet it actually leaves things worse, eliminate the human factor and use some sort of camera as a deterrent and people will soon learn not to do it.

unfortunately it would cost a fortune to impliment and would actually work so after the initial bit of money the government would make off it then it would be all cost so they wont bother implimenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im surprised bus lane cameras havent been brought in here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Main problem with this is that people make mistakes sometimes.

Im sure you have been caught in a yellow box before robamerc or blocked a roundabout exit by accident ... would you like an 80.00Eur fine and 2 points for it?

What about learner drivers?

The offences which you mention are things i see everyday sometimes they are just plebs and sometimes they are scared L drivers or Women and i cut them some slack unitl they LEARN ... What you are suggesting would be way too penalising IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

C_Breeze wrote: »

Im sure you have been caught in a yellow box before robamerc or blocked a roundabout exit by accident ... would you like an 80.00Eur fine and 2 points for it?

The offences which you mention are things i see everyday sometimes they are just plebs and sometimes they are scared L drivers or Women and i cut them some slack unitl they LEARN ... What you are suggesting would be way too penalising IMO

Is that not the whole reason why learner drivers are not supposed to be out on their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

Cameras on jnction great idea. i think also if once you hit 12 points your car was taken off you and sold as well as having to re-sit you driving test would be a better deterrent as i know of people who have 12 points and are still driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

real_484 wrote: »
    i think also if once you hit 12 points your car was taken off you and sold

What a stupid suggestion. Why would you think anyone should have the right to just take something that you paid hard earned money for and sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I never mentioned points they should be reserved for dangeous behaviour thats what they are supposed to be for.

In 17 years of driving I can honestly say I never blocked a roundabout and maybe once if ever got caught in a yellow box, if I did and was fined for it, I sure as f*ck would not do it again - remember cameras should be a deterrent not enforcement !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Far too draconian, and very hard to prove it would make a huge difference to traffic levels at all. Do some research into how traffic jams occur before taking the penalising route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Other cities have red light and yellow box cameras and they work quite well. Like all things though, the devil is in the detail. A system that automatically fines people won't work well, a system where the footage is flagged and reviewed before the fine is sent out is much more fair to everyone. Bus lane cameras don't seem to be a priority, at least not in Dublin. I spoke to Dublin Bus, Dept. Transport and DCC about them and got nowhere. Circular firing range ahoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

What a stupid suggestion. Why would you think anyone should have the right to just take something that you paid hard earned money for and sell it on.

don't you think it would be a strong deterrent, and if you 12 points you are a habitual offender. The criminal assets bureau have no problem in confiscating and disposing of assets from criminals so why should be it any different for car offences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

don't you think it would be a strong deterrent, and if you 12 points you are a habitual offender. The criminal assets bureau have no problem in confiscating and disposing of assets from criminals so why should be it any different for car offences.
    F**k NO,sorry but a travelling sales guy can get 12 points and he is not a criminal. Yes if you get 12 points get your licence taken away and be punished for the stupidity of a repeat offence. But sell the car and leave you with a debt for the car? What kind of a counrty do you want to live in. Its already bad enough with the Gov doing what they please and when they please !
    (I am not a sales guy and I do not have points on my licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

cashmni1 wrote: »
    F**k NO,sorry but a travelling sales guy can get 12 points and he is not a criminal.

A travelling salesman who knows how to drive and can obey the rules of the road won't ever get 12 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Selling someones car on them when they get 12 points is a joke. The reason for those points could vary wildly but I really don't think someone deserves to lose their car for "something minor".

As for yellow box cameras .. bring them out! Also, have the guards on motorbikes from the traffic corps actually stop (dont get me wrong, some do... but more should be assigned) and give out to the guys in yellow boxs rather than weaving through and moving on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Cameras on jnction great idea. i think also if once you hit 12 points your car was taken off you and sold as well as having to re-sit you driving test would be a better deterrent as i know of people who have 12 points and are still driving.

Goodness God. Move to North Korea if you want compulsory purchase orders put on cars. I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

And who would you propose would buy these cars ? The state ? And what if they couldn't sell them on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

It should be different for car offences because criminal ASSETS have been obtained by criminal means. It is an entirely different story when someone has worked hard to earn fair money to buy a car. The fact that they can't use it (legally) should be penalty enough, and may force them to sell it anyway. You're effectively saying that someone who drives a mercedes or a bmw should be penalised €50,000 where as someone who drives a '99 ford fiesta only gets penalised €2,000 or so.

Pretty flawed system there buddy, back to the drawing board with you.

And the people you know with 12 points will most likely be caught eventually and get a much heavier penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I was unlucky enough to have to head into Dublin city centre last night in the car. (Shoot me Mr Green I needed my car sorry)

Firstly - the traffic was absolutely atrocious, but thats to be expected..
    What I did notice was how much of it is caused by bad driving.

So my proposal would be that rather than waste their time and effort with speed cameras wouldn't "red light" cameras be a better option - they certainly would stop some of the idiocy we see at lights.

Also "yellow box" cameras might stop plebs pulling into yellow boxes that are clearly blocked - if your car is stationary in one for more than 10 seconds, click click - fine
    Lastly tools who pull onto roundabouts that clearly are going to just block people leaving from another exit - click click, fine.

Any ideas on whether this might help or not?

Aaahh yellow box blockers, my pet hate

Advertisement