Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progress in Meath

Options
  • 07-12-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just new on this site and was having a browse thru the msgs left by others, it seems that most ppl posting are from outside Meath and commuting.

I'm a native meath person, but think its great that our county has ppl from all over in it, only diadvantage I see to the county is the proximity to Dublin means that oue infrastructure cant cope and now we have rows over new motorways (ie M3) and the latest one over Eirgrid and the proposed power lines. Personally I was glad to see in the local paper that the old Navan railway line is to be rebuilt and thats to be welcomed.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

You can't stop progress and it's quite sad that our towns, road networks, power, etc are at breaking point but what i really want to know is there no way we can keep the Dubs out? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jambon

I wasnt tryin to say we shud keep anyone out, just a comment on how poor our political system is at planning ahead, but sure I suppose it wouldnt be ireland if we did it any other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

mickrourke wrote: »
    You can't stop progress and it's quite sad that our towns, road networks, power, etc are at breaking point but what i really want to know is there no way we can keep the Dubs out? ;)

Yeah, those feckin Dubs pumping all that money into the local economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Even if it wasnt for the planning, I'd still be much happier if the councils managed to provide some level of maintenance on the little bits of infrastructure that we DO have. I use some back roads on a regular basis and some of them are incredibly poor. Roads around areas like Culmullin, Pikes Cross (one of the most dangerous junctions I know of in Meath), Summerhill/Kilcock goes without saying (due to construction I admit) but even Dunderry to Navan is an absolute joke.
    The main road into trim from batterstown doesnt have a single light or cats eye on it and it can be impossible to see the road, or anything on a wet dark night. For such a busy road with such high volumes, I fail to see why they cant provide these things. Same thing applies to the main N3 to Navan I suppose, and the road from Navan to Athboy is a potholed joke.

And to top it off, the roadworks for the M3 where it crosses the Athboy-Navan road are one of the most poorly managed things I've ever seen. Every warning sign coated in a months worth of mud, no lights, no way of seeing the edge of the road, and the road is never cleaned meaning if you brake, you'll probably end up in a field. I've seen that happen three times in the past month as I use the Athboy to Navan Road most days.

Oh, and on a final note, when a road sign falls down, how hard is it to put it back up? Due to an accident a few days ago, I was diverted on one of the back roads and told to follow the signs to make my way to Summerhill. All 4 junctions I came to, the signposts were lying on their sides at the side of the road. Thats helpful when its dark and you're lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jambon

Yeah I agree Archeron, its pretty diamal the way we manage projects here, I mean I saw in the Chronicle where the Trim to Navan road will be shut altogether some time b4 Xmas, I mean come off it at least wait until New Year when the traffic may be a little lighter

I use Meath's back roads a lot but thankfully its only the bends I have to deal with not potholes on my daily route to my personal mortgage payment prison (ie work)

Oh what joy there is in life!

• Advertisement

Anyone been on the Kilcock to Summerhill road yet? 4 sets of lights
    They had a diversion on place but never told you which way to go and again, no signposts or signposts lying down. It was by pure luck i made it to kilcock.

mickrourke wrote: »
    Anyone been on the Kilcock to Summerhill road yet? 4 sets of lights
    They had a diversion on place but never told you which way to go and again, no signposts or signposts lying down. It was by pure luck i made it to kilcock.

Because those lights are not timed to conincide with each other, my brother lost 45 minutes on that road, on top of the actual travel time.
    I wish they would observe some of these works and see how poorly run they are.

Archeron wrote: »
    Because those lights are not timed to conincide with each other, my brother lost 45 minutes on that road, on top of the actual travel time.
    I wish they would observe some of these works and see how poorly run they are.

Was on that boulevard of broken dreams yesterday and it still hasn't gotten any better and to top it all off summerhill now has traffic lights

Jambon wrote: »
    I mean I saw in the Chronicle where the Trim to Navan road will be shut altogether some time b4 Xmas, I mean come off it at least wait until New Year when the traffic may be a little lighter

Bloody hell. i wonder if they'll divert Trim traffic back to towards batterstown and through Dunshaughlin?
    Keep in mind that you can go on the bandiest of backroads from Trim to NAvan by going through either Dunderry or Robinstown as well. Much quicker, but much dodgier roads. (not even wide enough for two cars to pass in places).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I'm new enough to Meath - year and a half or thereabouts. I still can't get over how little Meath County Council actually does. I previously rented in Dublin, Cork and I'm originally from Kerry where councils had much more of an involvement in daily life. Estates taken into charge quicker, council refuse collection, *gasp* :eek: a PARKS department who would cut grass in green spaces. Such luxury! ;)

All in all I love where I'm living. That's about my only gripe to be honest. (Except for the bus service, but that's a rant for another day.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement