Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a house be renamed?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭

Simple question really, can you give your house a name instead of a number?

If you deem the number to be unlucky (i.e. 13) can you change it, or is it defined forever on that house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Ask at your post office?

I think the way it works is this

Orginal address:

Somestreet
    Sometown
    county wicklow

New address with name

Costa Plenti
    Somestreet
    Sometown
    county wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure it can be renamed. I think it might be excessive though.

Councils usually insist on having a numbering scheme from developers of new estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If it's a B&B then go for it!
    Give it an Irish name to be cool, there are too many houses around with English sounding names, with "Tudor" for example

But imo there just seems to be a bit of wannabe snobbery about naming your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had no idea about this but... my house is named Saint Anthony. We only found this out when trying to order a pizza online from dominos. No idea why it's named that, neither do my parents and we moved into it as a new house...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Renaming should be simple enough...but no way they'll let you change the number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

micmclo wrote: »
    If it's a B&B then go for it!
    Give it an Irish name to be cool, there are too many houses around with English sounding names, with "Tudor" for example

But imo there just seems to be a bit of wannabe snobbery about naming your house.

Definitely, you just have to laugh when somebody sticks up their brand new concrete or timber-frame heap and then names it "Locality House", trying to make it seem like they live in some country masion! :rolleyes::D It doesn't work folks...new houses should not be given grandiose names....stick to something specific for your house, a nice Irish name perhaps...but don't be trying to give yourselves airs and graces!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pl_donnelly

astrofool,

Is it the fact it is no13. I have a house no13 and had concerns initially, but to be honest the number has now turned out to be very lucky for me, everything went like clockwork and luck seemed to surround the number in the end. got mortgage approval on 13th, signed for house on 13th, so many good luck surrounded it in the end, i realised it was definitely lucky for me.

luck is what you make it..

Hope it works out..

ps I did look into it at the start before it became my lucky number but yes it is possible to chnage number if found it to be unlucky via the local county council / land registry and it's not that expensive

Cheers

Advertisement