Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too close to base station

Options
  • 07-12-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend of mine recently moved house and brought his wireless broadband with him. He is a customer of Permanet. However he is now too close to the base station and the signal is too strong, this is causing difficulties with voip (he uses it for his business). Permanet have ordered a gadget (dont know what it is) that will impair the strong signal but this wont arrive until next week. Is there anything he can do in the meantime?
    All suggestions gratefully received.

Should have put this in broadband forum please move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

OP wanted this moved over here from Nets & Comms.....feel free to bounce back if not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Fr0g wrote: »
    Hi,
    A friend of mine recently moved house and brought his wireless broadband with him. He is a customer of Permanet. However he is now too close to the base station and the signal is too strong, this is causing difficulties with voip (he uses it for his business). Permanet have ordered a gadget (dont know what it is) that will impair the strong signal but this wont arrive until next week. Is there anything he can do in the meantime?
    All suggestions gratefully received.

Should have put this in broadband forum please move.

As far as I am aware,no. This has happened to a few Permanet customers who were to close to the base station that they were getting the signal from. I know what the part is called but cant for the life of me think what its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

attenuator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Peanut wrote: »
    attenuator?

Correct - needs to know the correct value to get though as too much will lead to the opposite problem. Best to go back to Permanet and ask them to provide one and you pay for it - they are not expensive - they look like back to back coax connectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

aim the dish towards the ground diagonally. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Thanks for the replies. Moynihan I have passed your suggestion on. he might get the part today but if not he will try it and let me know how he gets on. thanks

Advertisement