Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

contaminated fuel

Options
  • 07-12-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My brother let his Legacy run out of petrol and after filling up, it's spluttering and won't rev higher than 2,500.

Any idea what has been affected by this or is it likely the filters only are clogged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

cantdecide wrote: »
    is it likely the filters only are clogged.

I'd say this is the best place to start. Start from the tank and work your way towards the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

If it won't rev past 2500 rpm, make sure it isn't in "limp home mode". I presume there is no warning lights on?
    It happened me, but with a diesel car. Went in to a safe mode but it didn't have the spluttering. That sounds like the engine isn't getting the correct fuel/air mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Filter, pump, injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Contaminated fuel is extremely rare, I have not seen a case of it for many years.

If the problem was caused by debris because of the low fuel level in the tank then he will need to sort the tank out too. Best bet is to check the fuel delivery pressure and volume before anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks folks. I got contaminated petrol in 2003 (so yes, many years I suppose).

How does one check fuel delivery pressure and volume?

Ps, how many filters will his car have??

• Advertisement

Fuel pressure is measured on a fuel pressure gauge connected to the high side, ie between the pump and the the pressure reg. Volume is the amount the pump can deliver in a given time, ie X litres per minute.

Will the same instrument do volume and pressure? Is this something all garages will have?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Will the same instrument do volume and pressure? Is this something all garages will have?

Some do both, some only pressure. Volume can be measured simply by running the pump with the fuel line into a suitable container for a measured time.
    I think every garage should have at least a fuel pressure gauge but some dont.

Legacys only have one filter in the engine bay. Access was great and we blew the old line through. Tons of gunge in the filter but now she's running 100%.

Advertisement