Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you react to someone dying that you didn't like?

• 07-12-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

This has got nothing to do with what's happened recently or anything. But I'm just wondering how people react when they find out someone that they didn't get on with is after dying.

When it's me I don't change my opinions about the person, If I didn't get on with them when they were alive I'm certainly not going to say what a wonderful person and all this crap they were when they die. I mean if I didn't get on with them, I probably tried to avoid them so I'm not going to fell sorry for them at this stage.

I think this could be a little bit hypocritical if someone was to do that. A bit like backstabbing but in reverse.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Crack open the bubbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I usually say nothing and keep my opinions to myself. I don't feel sorry for them and don't change my opinion but i don't preach about how i felt when they were alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If i just don't like them? Nothing.

If i really hate them? Smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Eh just because I didn't like them doesn't mean I wouldn't have sympthay for their family and friends. I may not have liked the deceased but there is nearly always somebody who loved them and will miss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I hated my maternal grandmother, she was an absolute **** and I couldn't even pretend to be upset. I wasn't disrespectful or anything but there was no way I was crying for her. I would miss her now but in the way you look back fondly on a horrible holiday or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Meh (Shruggs shoulders) opinion does not change about them after death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I prefer the two faced approach - give sympathies to the relatives and then dance a jig when nobody's looking.

I'll sympathise with the friends and family of said person.

But on the inside I'd probably be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't hate people and wouldn't be happy someone lost they're life no matter what grudge I had against them, I probably wouldn't cry for them either. I'd feel sorry for the people that loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

When it's me I don't change my opinions about the person, If I didn't get on with them when they were alive I'm certainly not going to say what a wonderful person and all this crap they were when they die.

Same with me, the hypocrasy of people suddenly going on as though they're heartbroken when someone they dislike dies is really irritating.

E.g.: a few years back, a guy myself and a few of my friends knew killed himself. The guy was a dick, nobody liked him when he was alive, but everyone did such a u-turn when he topped himself. I'm not saying it's not a pity he had such an unbearable life that he decided to exit stage left, but I'm not going to pretend he wasn't an annoying tool just because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I send hilarious mocking texts to all my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As a mark of respect to the mourners, I generally wait for them to leave the cemeterey before I dance on the grave. I'm always at a loss as to what to do should the deceased have been cremated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Eh just because I didn't like them doesn't mean I wouldn't have sympthay for their family and friends. I may not have liked the deceased but there is nearly always somebody who loved them and will miss them.
    QFT. Back in school, some guy who was a year ahead of me died in a car crash. I hated the guy; He was the most sneaky, conniving, backstabbing asshole ever, but managed to be extremely popular. But I felt extremely sorry for his family because they were the nicest, warmest and most outgoing people I have ever come across.

Anyway, the school got a few hours off for his funeral. I refused to go to it (as I hated him that much) and low and behold, there were another 15 or 20 people across all the years who also refused to go. Had a great indoor soccer match that day though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A friend of mine on holidays in the west of ireland cycled ten miles out of his way to piss on Peig sayers' grave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Id feel sorry for teh family but I wouldnt feel sorry for the person that died if I had not liked them when alive.
    I hate how people do a 360 when someone dies they wont say a word against them. Esp the media they might have slagged off the person but once they die they were fans and 'they were such a lovely person. I guess it goes back to the whole 'dont speak ill of the dead' thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I usually mess with their wiki page. If they don't have a wiki page I will create one and then vandalise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ding dong the bitch is gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

A girl from my area was murdered not so long ago, the murder was planned, I felt sad for her family but not for her because she was always horrible to me and my friends and always hung around with stoners and generally was one of the bad crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Degsy wrote: »
    A friend of mine on holidays in the west of ireland cycled ten miles out of his way to piss on Peig sayers' grave!

I can imagine many more would do it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I remember a guy who was in my year in school committed suicide on holidays after the LC. My brother's gf's sister was a good mate of his and had been away with him at the time. My brother asked me if I knew him and I said, "Not really, he was a complete wanker". My brother went off on one about showing respect, but I don't see how his death made him less of a wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

But I'm just wondering how people react when they find out someone that they didn't get on with is after dying.

What do you think?

'Schadenfreude' springs to mind ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've never had it happen tbh. There's one or two people I'd like to see die horribly but I don't generally let people I dislike have any effect on my life so it wouldn't really bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i wouldnt change my view on the person at all once a gob****e always a gob****e, feel sorry for the family tho and anyone who did respect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

A person I knew died recently because she was abusing too many drugs. I didn't like her. She was a real bitch. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I would occasionally have to put up with her every now and again. I'm glad she's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

If I get blood on my shoes I get very upset. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

If I get blood on my shoes I get very upset. :(
    I'd say that happens a lot up in Firhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vaschuk

*Shakes head at this thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Wouldnt care i wudn be upset or happy usually when i really dislike a person they become dead to me anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If I know them personally (which hasn't happened but someone I don't like had a very close brush with death and when I heard of it I actually laughed), would probably just sympathise with the family as despite how much of an arsehole the deceased may be, their death has just turned a load of peoples world upside down. Then I'd privately have a few celebration drinks.

If I don't know them personally, have sympathy for the family and be glad the persons gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Binomate wrote: »
    Wow Binomate, you're such a slightly less intelligent version of me it's frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

well when my mil died ,i had a happy smile on my face for ages....
    the hubby didn't get on with his mother either but at the same time i wasn't jubilant in front of the hubby!

but for the funeral i made a point of getting my hair and make up done just as a treat for myself....ooh and i got new shoes ,..black of course!

and myself and a good friend sang ding dong the witch is dead....

god rest her,....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

This has got nothing to do with what's happened recently or anything. But I'm just wondering how people react when they find out someone that they didn't get on with is after dying.

When it's me I don't change my opinions about the person, If I didn't get on with them when they were alive I'm certainly not going to say what a wonderful person and all this crap they were when they die. I mean if I didn't get on with them, I probably tried to avoid them so I'm not going to fell sorry for them at this stage.

I think this could be a little bit hypocritical if someone was to do that. A bit like backstabbing but in reverse.

What do you think?
    I don't change my opinion of that person, but I no longer express it so vocally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Binomate wrote: »

When I bought my House, the lecky bills etc said Knocklyon D16....

I have since discovered that not to be true... Actually I discovered that about 6 months after I bought it in 2000. Amazing what 50 feet can do to your post code*

Only coming to terms with it now :(

*Ireland being the third world back water that it is I use the term post code loosely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Degsy wrote: »

Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

How do you react to someone dying that you didn't like?

With respect and dignity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dance on their grave, preferably during the funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'd have to go with the respect and dignity thing here ! i beleve in karma and what goes around comes around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Never happened yet so don't know. Only people I like die

God can be such a w@nker at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Like hitler??? I'd be like I'VE GOT THE POWER!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Some of you people make me sick...i see a trend with your posts in particular rb_ie....

Personally i dont hate anybody, i dislike some people but not very many and if they died, i'd have a lot of sympathy for them and their family. How people can actually celebrate the passing of another human is beyond me but im sure you all sleep easy at night so i wont bother entering a debate on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Well said Requiem.

Everything and everyone has a share in this world for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Unearthly wrote: »

God can be such a w@nker at times.

Sometimes???? :eek: If there is a God he must be the biggest w@nker ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

get annoyed that I can't find out what's happening in Ireland because the evening news is dominated with sh*te about her
    or him.........

I wouldn't give a toss and move on with my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Nobody I know and actively dislike has died...I don't dislike many people anyway :) So I can't say how I'd react really. I'd probably be indifferent. I wouldn't be happy about it but probably wouldn't lose any sleep either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You know Ive been thinking alot about whats going to happen when ian paisley dies (cant be that far away now).

Obviously there will be a big funeral, there are enough shamless excuses for human beings in NI to elect him first minister, he must have quite the following. But how will those affected by the mans hideous nature react. Will it be publically dignified, privatly happy or will there be dancing in the street?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The way I feel about most people dying. Indifference.

Advertisement