Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If someone is caught driving your car without tax or NCT, who gets in trouble?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

My sisters car broke and she needed something in an emergency and used a car of mine which is off the road without tax or NCT. So if she got stopped could I have gotten in trouble?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah it is your responsibiltiuy to check that the you car is taxed and displaying a valid tax disc as you are the owner of the car.

Same for NCT.

So to answer your question - YES you are responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You are in trouble only if she takes it WITH your permission.
    If your car is genuinely off the road there is no need for tax/nct AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Even when the car has been parked off the road for over a year and you're not the one driving it?! :eek::eek::eek:

Sheesh, I don't need any more stamps on my license, especially for something i didn't do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You'd have to prosecute her to get away with it then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

frobisher wrote: »
    she needed something in an emergency
    depends on the emergency and the garda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

If you are caught driving a vehicle that is not correctly taxed then you as the driver are responsible. Owner should not be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The driver is responsible for ensuring that the car is taxed, NCT'd and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Both you and your sister could be fined for having no tax on the car, both you and the sister could be summonsed to court for not having nct and the car can be seized under section 41 of the road traffic acts. penalties are €125 impound fee and €35 for every day till you get it taxed and show proof. If you are really nice with the guard he/she may let you have the car towed/recovered after paying the €125 impound fee.

if the car is taken off you then your sister is left on the road side

simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It is the responsibility of the owner and the driver to ensure that the vehicles documentation is in order.
    Hagar wrote:
    If your car is genuinely off the road there is no need for tax/nct AFAIK.
    Yes, but the OP enquires if his sister "used" the car. Presumably he/she means using it on a public road. It would therefore be legally required to be taxed/NCTed..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

The guards will just take the car and impound it. That's probably enough trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement