Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback for a guitar course

Options
  • 07-12-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I've been teaching guitar on a one-to-one basis sucessfully for a few years now and this week I just got a snazzy new premises that has a class room which got me thinking...

A lot of people I teach are with me to learn theory and to get better fretboard knowledge. I was thinking of starting a course that would take all those modules that I have that could be taught to a small class of guitarists (4 or five people) who would be able to play well enough but would like more knowledge.

The course I'm planning would show necessary theory (scales, keys, chord construction), fretboard knowledge (how to play every chord on the guitar just by hearing its name), all the modes and scales you'll ever need learned semantically rather than with lots of mindless shapes.

I think I could cover all that in five weekly lessons, before I start to to prepare it and advertise it I'm wondering what type of interest is there out there for that type of guitar boot camp serious learning course in Dublin. Is there anything else people would like to see covered?

Your opinions will be very appreciated. I'll even give the best post a free spot! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Would you also be including different techniques? Eg. arpeggios, string skipping, tapping etc.
    Also, would you include exercises to improve speed and dexterity, right and left hand?

I would be fairly interested. I've been playing for over 10 years and I've sort of hit a wall. I cannot seem to concentrate on learning solos (even though I know they'd improve me) and my general musical knowledge is average at best. I'd love to do something that would cram as much as possible into a 5-10 week space. I'd love to go the whole hog and become classically trained through the grades. But I feel a course like this might give me the confidence and basis to go on. At the moment playing the guitar is getting frustrating as I feel I'm just going around and around in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I've been teaching guitar on a one-to-one basis sucessfully for a few years now and this week I just got a snazzy new premises that has a class room which got me thinking...

A lot of people I teach are with me to learn theory and to get better fretboard knowledge. I was thinking of starting a course that would take all those modules that I have that could be taught to a small class of guitarists (4 or five people) who would be able to play well enough but would like more knowledge.

The course I'm planning would show necessary theory (scales, keys, chord construction), fretboard knowledge (how to play every chord on the guitar just by hearing its name), all the modes and scales you'll ever need learned semantically rather than with lots of mindless shapes.

I think I could cover all that in five weekly lessons, before I start to to prepare it and advertise it I'm wondering what type of interest is there out there for that type of guitar boot camp serious learning course in Dublin. Is there anything else people would like to see covered?

Your opinions will be very appreciated. I'll even give the best post a free spot! ;)

i would imagine that would go down very well. a huge amount of guitarists don't have a notion beyond the shapes, and this can sometimes hold them back hugely in a group setting.

i'm sure it would go down well with the working professional/young family type as well who mightn't have time to go to sessions week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

playing the guitar is getting frustrating as I feel I'm just going around and around in circles.

......... of 4ths and 5ths :D Sorry ! I could n't resist that. :p

I was wondering would there be a slot for bassists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭colm_r

Just in case it's not covered by 'keys'...

It would be good to understand which scales fit over which chord progressions and why.

If it was in the evening I would be interested in attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Would you also be including different techniques? Eg. arpeggios, string skipping, tapping etc.
    Also, would you include exercises to improve speed and dexterity, right and left hand?

Not for this class. That type of stuff I currently teach in one-to-one lessons. The course I am programming now is for a small class and it would be impossible to afford the attention required to individuals for technique stuff.
    I would be fairly interested. I've been playing for over 10 years and I've sort of hit a wall. I cannot seem to concentrate on learning solos (even though I know they'd improve me) and my general musical knowledge is average at best. I'd love to do something that would cram as much as possible into a 5-10 week space. I'd love to go the whole hog and become classically trained through the grades. But I feel a course like this might give me the confidence and basis to go on. At the moment playing the guitar is getting frustrating as I feel I'm just going around and around in circles.

Learning more about music and broadening the range of styles you play are two good ways of leaving that loop of non-progression. This will certainly be intensive and if followed to the letter will impart a lot of the vocabulary needed to speak music more fluently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm nearly finished the work on this one. There will be two class groups (depending on interest) One on a Tueesday evening and the other on a Saturday morning.

When I'm finished the plan I'll publish the sequence of topics covered so you can see when you can hop on and off. There will be a minimum and maximum class size depending on the work involved and if I can get a nice enough projector!

Updates out by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm nearly finished the work on this one. There will be two class groups (depending on interest) One on a Tueesday evening and the other on a Saturday morning.

When I'm finished the plan I'll publish the sequence of topics covered so you can see when you can hop on and off. There will be a minimum and maximum class size depending on the work involved and if I can get a nice enough projector!

Updates out by the weekend.

I'd be very interested alright. I'm living in Portlaoise at the moment so I don't know if I'd be able to attend but I'd like to look at the sequence of topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'd be very interested. Exactly what I need!

Advertisement