Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian Insurance grrr

Options
  • 07-12-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

So i got my full license today. *Waits for applause*

Cue the hunt for cheap insurance, right? I pull out the phone book and start at the beginning, high quote after another and I'm getting kinda tired of it.
    So i think, what about the Ignition program? Why don't i give that a whirl.
    I ring up Hibernian to get a quote and to find out about this Ignition lark. I give them all my details and we get to the cars details. So i tell them i have a 99 2.0 Diesel Corolla....the lady (she was very nice about it) tells me they don't insure anything over a 1.6....

What the hell is that about?! My car capable of 71BHP when new, a 1.6 petrol corolla 109BHP. My car top speed 103MPH, 1.6 'rolla 121MPH* Which is more of a risk?! Is this not one of the stupidest conditions set by an insurer?!

*figures from parkers.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

They will insure you on a car greater than 1.6. The thing is that you will not be able to use the hibernian ignition discount for a car greater than 1.6.

This is just how it goes and personnally i think it is good. Most everyday cars are not greater than 1.6. why you need something bigger than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

They wont insure someone with a brand spanking new license on >1.6.
    Why do i need a 2.0 diesel? Why do you need a (insert lower cc) petrol?

Well i could get a 1.9 diesel for the same moneys and have about the same power + acceleration (pants) and Hib will still not look at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The Ignition test is free provided you pass the test, if not you have to fork out the €400 odd that it costs to do the test! I'm sorry to say its a case of ringing around alot and seeing who will give you the best quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Quinn ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

How old are you? 17?

All seems weird to me, Hibernian are one of the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try insure.ie. I got the best quote (by €200-300) from them a while back when looking for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Savman wrote: »
    Quinn ftw.

I got insured for the first time last month and the quinn quote was the cheapest of them all. 600 Euro less that fbd and axa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Just get a smaller engined car for the first few months of driving and then you wont need to winge :)

You will get cheaper insurance and you will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

pete4130 wrote: »
    The Ignition test is free provided you pass the test, if not you have to fork out the €400 odd that it costs to do the test! I'm sorry to say its a case of ringing around alot and seeing who will give you the best quote.

Is this true?? Also is what was said in one of the above posts true that it only applies to cars under 1.6? I just got a quote with insure.ie for Hibernian for 1800 on a golf gt 170bhp, 21 male 1 years no claims and full license held 6months. Great quote for that car and the hibernian course would be even better. Can someone explain more maybe?

Also is the test in the testers car or your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I don't know about the engine size restriction but my Dad did the Ignition test. He hadn't driven in about 10 years and did the test to lower the premium. The way it worked with Hibernian is that they pre-authorise your credit card for the amount and if you don't pass the test they take the money. He passed so it cost him nothing.
    He said it wasn't particularly difficult but wasn't a breeze to pass either. Alot of what they teach is about defensive driving, how to deal with tailgater's etc..... common sense stuff that most people wouldn't be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Like I've done my full license test recently enough ago (6months) and I doubt it would be as hard, but 400euro is a lot for the test. What exactly would constitute as a fail? I would be worried I would not feel comfortable in the car. Getting used to the different layout, response of the car and gears. If it was my own car I would have no hesitation bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Theres a reason quinn are the cheapest. Insured with them last year and heading for AXA on the 23rd of this month. Quinn = poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

su_dios wrote: »
    Like I've done my full license test recently enough ago (6months) and I doubt it would be as hard, but 400euro is a lot for the test. What exactly would constitute as a fail? I would be worried I would not feel comfortable in the car. Getting used to the different layout, response of the car and gears. If it was my own car I would have no hesitation bout it

I think you've answered you own question. If you'd feel uncomfortable in the Hibernian car then there's a problem to start. Once you pass a test you shouldn't really have an issue driving a Corsa/Clio.

Also this test would be a lot more intense than the driving test. I've a granduncle who did the testing for a while. They're looking for responsiveness, braking and not surprisingly attitude to driving. It's worthwhile, it should really be part of the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

kodute wrote: »
    So i tell them i have a 99 2.0 Diesel Corolla....the lady (she was very nice about it) tells me they don't insure anything over a 1.6....

What the hell is that about?! My car capable of 71BHP when new, a 1.6 petrol corolla 109BHP. My car top speed 103MPH, 1.6 'rolla 121MPH* Which is more of a risk?! Is this not one of the stupidest conditions set by an insurer?!

*figures from parkers.co.uk

Same thing happened to me. I had 2 years NCB & 1 year full license, and was 23 years old and they would not quote me on my 2.0 Almera Diesel with a whopping 73bhp, just because it was >1.6 L

Then I rang Tesco, and they wouldn't insure me on anything over 1.4L!!!

Quinn Direct came to the rescue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Have you tried BESTQUOTEDIRECT :cool:
    I find them good

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pete4130 wrote: »
    The way it worked with Hibernian is that they pre-authorise your credit card for the amount and if you don't pass the test they take the money.
    Incorrect. They take a booking fee. If you pass and take out a policy with Hibernian, they refund that fee. If you fail, they refund the fee. If you fail to turn up, or pass and don't take out a policy, they charge you full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cionád wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. I had 2 years NCB & 1 year full license, and was 23 years old and they would not quote me on my 2.0 Almera Diesel with a whopping 73bhp, just because it was >1.6 L

That's because the following are underwritten by Hibernian

AIB
    Tesco
    OneDirect

there are others that don't spring to mind also!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Cionád wrote: »

Quinn Direct came to the rescue :)

Same here 3 years ago, 1.9D Seat Ibiza, 64bhp when it was new which is a whopping 4bhp over the 1.4 petrol version!!
    Lady from Hibernian actually said that they do not insure people in a car which is over 1.6 if you are under 25, i didnt bother arguing the fact that they have to provide you with some form of a quote by law [i think], because i already knew Quinn's quote, which say what you like but in my case they looked at it correctly, because instead of just going by ust the engine size they looked at the actual engine output. Its only right that someone with a 64bhp car pays less that someone with the 90bhp, 110bhp, 130bhp turbo'd version etc. Engine size alone means jack.
    I am still with Quinn for this very reason, i still have the same car, i ring around a few different companies every year just too see, but they are nearly half the price as the next cheapest. And as for all the horror stories you hear about them, i know someone who had to claim off them and said that they were brillent to deal with.

Advertisement