Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL maths option question in p2 section B: does anyone do the probability Q?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

My maths book, concise maths 5, only covers further calculus, but I'm interested in seeing what the probability question is like to cover. Does anyone do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

As far as I know, the most favoured question is further calculus, followed by groups andfurther probability and finally further geometry (elipses etc), so yes, poeple do do it.

If you're looking for a book that covers it, the really old text and tests covers the three more popular options, while the new Less stress more success covers the further propability Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

According to the last chief examiner's report, at http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2005/LCMathematics.pdf, it's 95% calculus & series, 3% prob & stats, 2% groups, and 0% geom. (Presumably all correct to the nearest %) The percentages were the same in the previous report (2000).

There were 9848 higher-level candidates in 2005, according to the report, so there were about 300 people doing this option.

Worth noting too that according to both of these reports, those taking the prob/stats outscored the calculus people by a fair whack.

There are booklets available to accompany text and tests for both the groups option and the prob/stats one. The same is true of Oliver Murphy's book and Aidan Roantree's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

I find probability alot easier its the only thing on the whole course that i actually understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I still have to cover 6 full exam Qs in class =O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

I wouldnt be to worried about that yet:rolleyes: the maths course is long we still need go over a lot of stuff aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement