Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noob Question: Achievements and Gamer Score

• 07-12-2007 4:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

So I've been playing Gears of War and Crackdown and unlocking some achievements and building up my gamerscore(or is that gamerpoints?)
    anyway have these any use? I mean, can I build up a s hite load and download some free xbox live arcade games using these points?

Or are they just used on some pointless leaderboard?
    Also, is it possible to use some sort of "game genie" device to unlock all the achievement?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They're just to show how amazing you are and you can't cheat to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

It's a measurement of your e-penis :D
    Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

They're completely worthless but fiendishly addictive! If a multiplatform game is released and if its equal (graphically, performance etc) on both systems, I'll probably pick it up on the 360 just to get the achievements missing from the PS3.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Yeah but some of them are just nuts.
    Imagine looking for EVERY green orb and secret orb in Crackdown.
    You'd go out of your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

jayteecork wrote: »
    Yeah but some of them are just nuts.
    Imagine looking for EVERY green orb and secret orb in Crackdown.
    You'd go out of your mind.

I'm sure people have done that,they are good for getting extra play time out of a game.

As said before,it's basically the videogame equivalent of "my c*cks bigger than your c*ck"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

The question is which boardsie has the biggest xbox C*ck ??

And much like the guy with the flashiest Ferrari, the guy with the biggest xbox score has in reality the smallest penis.

As for Crackdown orbs, imagine when you have 495 Green Orbs. You'd probably be pulling your hair out looking for the last 5. Going through the city again and again - certainly not my idea of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ciano1 wrote: »
    The question is which boardsie has the biggest xbox C*ck ??

the ones with the hacked consoles and more warez games than you.

i have 155 got 10 the other night :D have xbox a year now with 6 games go me

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I must say at first I had no interest in the score thing but its coming basically a big thing getting my score higher and higher..

Its kinda annoying really!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

ahh the green orbs now that brings me back to looking for that last one for about a week , but it's good fun just jumping and running around in that game. plus i found a fair few hidden orbs when i was looking for that last green one :D.

• Advertisement

finished Crackdown last night and maybe unlocked 60% of the Acheivements. Has no desire to go back and unlock them all.
    My fav one(two I guess) was scaling the Agency Tower and jumping off into the sea. Twas awesome that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

KdjaCL wrote: »
    the ones with the hacked consoles and more warez games than you.

i have 155 got 10 the other night :D have xbox a year now with 6 games go me

kdjac

Much like myself, I have mine 18 months or so and I have 1200 points :P.

A friend of mine on Xbox Live has 41,000 points! He told me he picks up a game every so often just for the points, not because he wants it, like the Simpsons game of late. Weird eh...

So why don't Microsoft offer some free Xbox live downloads when you get a certain number of points?
    It would make a hell of a lot of sense.
    People will spend full whack on a full game building up points - and Microsoft look good by giving something back to the Hardcore gamers or the ones that buy the most games.

Froot wrote: »
    He told me he picks up a game every so often just for the points, not because he wants it, like the Simpsons game of late. Weird eh...

I wouldn't do that now but usually if I bought a game and finish the singleplayer and liked it I would go straight and try do all the achievements in the game its a nice sense of accomplishment getting a 1000 points in a game..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Clover wrote: »
    ahh the green orbs now that brings me back to looking for that last one for about a week , but it's good fun just jumping and running around in that game. plus i found a fair few hidden orbs when i was looking for that last green one :D.

I'm only missing 2 green orbs and 5 of the hidden ones I think, had to stop playing it then though as I was going mental looking for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

i have me xbox about 6 weeks and i think me score is decent enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ive mine about a year and still aint passed 2000,

its really a reflection on if youve totally dominated a game, ive so many games i jump through and play online.

Though im putting more effort into achievements lately

cause i want you all to see how big my e-cock is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jayteecork wrote: »
    So why don't Microsoft offer some free Xbox live downloads when you get a certain number of points?
    It would make a hell of a lot of sense.
    People will spend full whack on a full game building up points - and Microsoft look good by giving something back to the Hardcore gamers or the ones that buy the most games.

MS did that last year. They held a mini competition, where you register your score at the start and you have a set time limit of about a month to increase it by a set amount of points, usually 5,000+ to 10,000. They were giving away free games, faceplates and t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Had mine for a year...Just passed 10,000 the other day :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Froot wrote: »
    Much like myself, I have mine 18 months or so and I have 1200 points :P.

A friend of mine on Xbox Live has 41,000 points! He told me he picks up a game every so often just for the points, not because he wants it, like the Simpsons game of late. Weird eh...

your friend is an idiot, buying games he doesn't even like just to get gamerpoints :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah lots of games are sell well just because of easy achievements,you can get 1000 points from the new avatar game just for mashing the B button repeatedly.

Most of the EA Sports games are the same, easy 1000 pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Most of the EA Sports games are the same, easy 1000 pointers.

not fifa 08, you have to win about 6 or 7 leagues in manager mode which is worse than watching paint dry, and then theres challenge mode with 10 regions (1 achievement each) that are pointless, i have about 260g on it and im not going to bother with the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah lots of games are sell well just because of easy achievements,you can get 1000 points from the new avatar game just for mashing the B button repeatedly.

Heh, I always wonder what kind of crap games people must've had to play to get their gamerscore over 20k... There just aren't that many games out there that are worth persevering with to get the full 1000 points

tman wrote: »
    Heh, I always wonder what kind of crap games people must've had to play to get their gamerscore over 20k... There just aren't that many games out there that are worth persevering with to get the full 1000 points

Plus some games are now 1250 points with addon content, like Oblivion and Crackdown. GRAW 1 came out with less than 1000 and then extra achievements were released to bring it to 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I like the idea of the points as it allows me to quickly compare my progress in games to that of my friends. That being said, I don't take it too seriously (probably because of my atrocious score :p )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

1 Green and 2 Blue left :(

I hate some of the achievements!!!

did you all not use guides for the crackdown orbs thing?

with a guide I don't think it'll help. There are too many orbs to go into exact details for every one - and how would you describe the locations?
    Anyway I'd rather have someone pour molten lead on my bellend then go for that achievement of the orbs.

• Advertisement

Its not hard with a guide,you just visit each place on the map and then cross out each orb as you get it.

Advertisement