Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about wheel nuts

Options
  • 07-12-2007 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I have a set of wheels for my car but the nuts from the current set do not fit them as they are too long to allow the wheel covers to pop on.
    I have looked in a few Motor Factors and have only found one place that will sell me ones that will fit, but at €4 each i.e. €64 for 16 nuts!!!
    I've seen a good few cars recently using ordinary nuts on their wheels (the type you could pick up at a hardware store) and I was just wondering if this is ok to do, as long as they are good quality and I keep a socket in the boot to fit them if I get a puncture...
    Also would it be better to put two nuts or a nut and washer on each one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wheel nuts are conical or spherical at one end. This helps to centre the nut in the hole on the wheel and so centers and securely fixes the wheel.

Using a plain old nut isn't a good idea (also very unsafe !)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Ok I know what you mean about the conical end, is there anywhere they can be got, or something similar? I've also tried a few scrapyards but they don't seem to be interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ..if 64 euro is too much to spend, you could always sell the non-fitting wheel trim and actually MAKE some money :D

Seriously ...other than asking around for the cheapest offer I have no idea either.

But you have to have genuine wheel nuts ...not only are they a special shape, they usually are high strength also. Do not bodge this, it's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you have to have the wheel trims buy the proper nuts...... unless you believe your life (or worse still, someone else's life) isn't worth €64.

Advertisement