Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Dublin South/West??

Options
  • 07-12-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey all,

This might sound like a lazy question, but I promise I've been doing my research but I'm hoping for the advice of people that know more about Dublin than me.

Myself and two friends are going to be looking for a three bedroom place together soon...we've each started new jobs recently and we're not from Dublin. One of us is in Tallaght Hospital, one in Crumlin, and one out in Clonskeagh. I was wondering where would be the best place to live to suit the three of us? It's one thing to look at a map, but we'll all be relying on public transport and stuff and I'm wondering if there's anywhere in particular that would be good for getting transport to each of these three places?

Any and all info/opinions are much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    ~Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The guy in Clonskeagh really drew the short end of the straw here. The two of you in Tallaght and Crumlin should try to get somewhere along the LUAS red line as it goes close enough to both of these hospitals.

From a public transport POV, the guy in Clonskeagh is screwed - he'll have to go into the city and then change onto a bus going out to clonskeagh. About a 90 minute trip if ye get a place in Tallaght.

Best probably to get a place in or near the city centre. Two of you can go get the LUAS out in the morning (won't be jammed going in that direction) and the other guy can cycle or get a bus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was going to agree with Seamus- but then I remembered there are buses that go from the Square to Belfield in the early morning and again in the evening- so the Clonskeagh guy (back gate of Belfield) is not quite as badly screwed as he might have been. Its specifically a bus that services UCD- but seeing as Clonskeagh is only a stroll from UCD- it just might be a satisfactory solution for your friend. Mind you- the traffic out that direction in the morning and evening is poxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mercury83

Yeah I'm the guy that needs to get to Clonskeagh, so I take it, its not going to be that practical to get a place for the three of us, does it help that I work at HP and possibly couldd get free shutytle bus from dart close by. or does this make any sense at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mercury83 wrote:
    Yeah I'm the guy that needs to get to Clonskeagh, so I take it, its not going to be that practical to get a place for the three of us, does it help that I work at HP and possibly couldd get free shutytle bus from dart close by. or does this make any sense at all.

To be honest- it doesn't really help much at all..... I still think that getting a place together in Tallaght, and then using the UCD shuttle bus is probably one of the best options (if you are going to live together that is). Unfortunately Clonskeagh is just not all that convenient for the other two......

Using the DART- would entail you going into town and then out again- its possible, but its one hell of a trek- it would seriously do my head in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Darts not much good in this case. Would you mind cycling? I did some work for HP a couple of months back, cycled there in about 25 mins from Crumlin. You could probably do it in less if you werent worried about arriving in a ball of sweat! Im sure they have showers.

Crumlin would be great for the tallaght man as he can get the 77, which basically come every 5 mins or so. He probably wouldn't bother with the Luas. its more expensive and a bit of a walk from Crumlin. Drimnagh would be better if he really wanted the Luas, but personally I wouldn't bother. Clonskeaghs probably one of the worst places to get to for public transport, and HP is a fair walk from where the UCD buses will leave you.

Actually if you were thinking of going down the cycling or mopede way, you might get a good place in Harolds cross, lower kimmage road, kcr, kimmage. All served well for buses to Tallaght, not too far to crumlin and that bit closer for clonskeagh. There is a bus, the 18 which goes all the way from Crumlin to Ballsbridge, but you would still have a long enough walk.

• Advertisement

as it is at the moment I'm in rathmines and walk to Clonskea so if I got to Rathmines from anywhere and walked the rest it really doesn't bother me, takes about half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Somewhere in Templeougue or knocklyon would suit you all - central to all of those locations (if you were all to cycle!)

75 Bus goes out past dundrum (Clonskeagh)
    49/65 Goes to tallaght
    Crumlin is close enough - not sure which bus might be the 54

So basically these places seem to be the best area's Harolds Cross, Templeogue, Knocklyon, Kimmage, or Tallaght. Any other idea's would be great and thanks very much for the feedback was very quick and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect the ideal location if planning to share would be somewhere in the city centre, close toth e Red Luas Line.
    smccarrick wrote: »
    I remembered there are buses that go from the Square to Belfield in the early morning and again in the evening- so the Clonskeagh guy (back gate of Belfield) is not quite as badly screwed as he might have been.
    The Xpresso buses from south Dublin to UCD suffer badly in having to travel into the city centre and then back out again.

Advertisement