Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can someone merge all the "should I buy" threads??

Options
  • 07-12-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭

No offence lads, I'd be the same if I was in the position but can we get one big "should I buy or cancel order" thread cause every two minutes a new thread is going to start with pretty much the same question !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

On the related topic, could we have a sticky explaining the VRT changes and more importantly explainig how to calculate a the price under the new scheme, because clearly and understandably there is going to be a huge amount of confusion, and most people seem to be assuming that prices won't go down when they have to under EU rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

E92 wrote: »
    On the related topic, could we have a sticky explaining the VRT changes and more importantly explainig how to calculate a the price under the new scheme, because clearly and understandably there is going to be a huge amount of confusion, and most people seem to be assuming that prices won't go down when they have to under EU rules?

Can someone maybe send an email to the Dept. of Finanace to get the calculation formula....and paste the reply here when it arrives in January sometime:p

I reckon there's only about 10 people on the whole island, if even, who know exactly how this is going to work...and they're all employed at the Dept. of Finance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ninty9er wrote: »
    Can someone maybe send an email to the Dept. of Finanace to get the calculation formula....and paste the reply here when it arrives in January sometime:p

I reckon there's only about 10 people on the whole island, if even, who know exactly how this is going to work...and they're all employed at the Dept. of Finance

Well I know how to work it out, I told everyone how to do it in this thread. We're not talking about sending a rocket to the moon like.

Here is how you do it:
    E92 wrote:
    the formula is (x*a)/b, where x is the current price, a is the %tage(expressed as a decimal) price of the car thats NOT VRT, and b is the new %tage(as a decimal again) price of the car that is NOT VRT. I realise we're not in the Maths forum, so sorry for using all the algebra, but it's the only way I know how to explain it

(Hypothetical)Example: car costs €10,000 and has 25%VRT at present, and under new system attracts 20%.

Well then, x=€10,000, a=1-0.25=0.75, b=1-0.20=0.80

For those that don't know, when a car has a VRT of say 30%, this means 30% of the total price of the car is VRT, hence why my % numbers are all below 1.

So do the Maths of it(10000*0.75)/0.8 = (7500)/0.8=€9,375

Advertisement