Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a site

Options
  • 07-12-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

What is involved in setting up a website? I kniow about registering a domain name. What then? Get a host is it? And if I want a form on the site to be filled in by customers giving details, what is that called?Also the facility to have people pay by laser/credit card. Then there is email,myname@mysite etc.

How do I know how many pages or do I go by MB's

Am I leaving out anything?

Do I need a company to do this or can it be done by anyone familiar with websites?

Any recommedations for host and cost? Saw siteground got some very bad reviews on its page. Thanks

And please no PM spam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What is involved in setting up a website?
    Register domain. Buy hosting. Code and upload files

I kniow about registering a domain name. What then? Get a host is it?
    yes, have a look around the interweb (or pm me if you want some nice and cheap or if youd rather deal with a company then i recommend www.meirhosting.net which have a nice friendly efficient setup)

And if I want a form on the site to be filled in by customers giving details, what is that called?
    there's plenty of free code on the web for this.. you could call them many things, I guess a "contact form" would be generic enough. if you use a cms (www.phpnuke.com for example, but probably not the best) most have this facility in built.

Also the facility to have people pay by laser/credit card.
    cheapest setup here is to use paypal. go over to www.paypal.com and look at the merchant tools.

Then there is email,myname@mysite etc.
    any good control panel (cpanel being my personal favorite) will let you setup all these emails accuonts easily

How do I know how many pages or do I go by MB's
    how many pages do you want? if its just text you probably wont go over a couple of meg .. if you have lots of photos and more then it probably will. start small, you can always upgrade! i would say 50MB space and maybe 500MB bandwidth would be a nice start

Am I leaving out anything?
    how are you going to pay for this? how many visitors do you expect to have? what sort of content do you want on the website?

Do I need a company to do this or can it be done by anyone familiar with websites?
    if its a personal or club website then do it yourself. the learning experience is half the fun

Any recommedations for host and cost?
    again, depends on what exactly youre using the website for, what sort of content on it and how many visitors you expect

Hope any of this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

cheapest setup here is to use paypal. go over to www.paypal.com and look at the merchant tools.
    I will want credit /laser cards
    how are you going to pay for this? how many visitors do you expect to have? what sort of content do you want on the website?
    It is for a business and my customers will pay hopefully, that is why I want the credit/laser card facility
    if its a personal or club website then do it yourself. the learning experience is half the fun
    Business, so I should hire a company?

Thanks for that info, random

Paypal doesn't take Laser but it will take all major credit cards. Look at something like Worldpay maybe for Laser if you're serious about this.

If you want a professional build and this is to be a very serious website to earn you large amounts of revenue then I would suggest getting it professional designed. Having said that, it's hard to know who's good and who isn't ... some places will take you for a ride in terms of costs. Maybe someone else can suggest a design company they've used. Again, depends on the scale of your website.

What sort of business is it ?

Also, maybe one of the following forums might be better for this thread if you can get a mod to move it?
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=985
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Paypal doesn't take Laser but it will take all major credit cards. Look at something like Worldpay maybe for Laser if you're serious about this.
    I don't understand, you mean Worldplay will set up laser? Also what about making the sit secure for payments
    earn you large amounts of revenue
    hope so
    What sort of business is it ?
    Can't say yet other than service will be dfor reward

Also, maybe one of the following forums might be better for this thread if you can get a mod to move it?
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=985
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23[/QUOTE]

Thanks

For secure website payments you'll want thingsl ike SSL and stuff. Any decent host will have no problems helping you out with this.

Worldpay - look at this maybe: http://www.worldpay.com/emea/sme/content.php?page=step1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm just going to add one little bit of advice: setting up the website is the easy part. Getting people to use it, that's a different matter altogether. So give as much thought to marketing as you will to design/coding/etc.

So give as much thought to marketing as you will to design/coding/etc
    Am doing ;)

That link was a great help thanks

Advertisement