Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car impounded for VRT...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Buddy of mine, sound enough chap, law abiding, hard working, got nabbed the other day, they asked him for the keys there and then:mad:, unless he had 10% of the cars value and the price of the VRT on him:confused:. He had to go and pick it up in dublin (50km):mad:. He wasn't treated to well either, left standing in the rain for someone to come pick him up:eek:. They sound as bad as clampers. Maybe anonymous could take up the cause:D
    I have never had an issue with the clampers as I don't break the parking laws.
    WRT to your friend getting left in the rain - maybe he will think twice about driving without paying his fair share. The revenue are not a taxi service though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

markbld wrote: »
    i paid the customs officer's cash that day

So I mean no offense mate but you must be stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 markbld

mick.fr wrote: »
    So I mean no offense mate but you must be stupid.
    :rolleyes: nope not stupit at all my choice was either to give them my wife's car and leave her stranded or pay the fund's
    what would you have done ??? no offence to you either just wondering thats all given the choice's available

no insults peeps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

:rolleyes: nope not stupit at all my choice was either to give them my wife's car and leave her stranded or pay the fund's
    what would you have done ??? no offence to you either just wondering thats all given the choice's available

I have asked you several times but you did not replied.
    Did you get any receipt for that payment you made?

I mean do you realize either you have been fooled by 2 guys who played custom roles or 2 dodgy customs who were up to get easy cash in their own pocket.

• Advertisement

mick.fr wrote: »
    I have asked you several times but you did not replied.
    Did you get any receipt for that payment you made?

I mean do you realize either you have been fooled by 2 guys who played custom roles or 2 dodgy customs who were up to get easy cash in their own pocket.

hi yes we got a receipt i did mention in my previous post's we did recieve correct paper work from the custom's personnel and i also followed it up with a call
    so that bury's the dodgy customs or scam artists theory out, it's all above board the stop and fine so it seem's well by the letter of the law, we still feel it's a bit OTT to be honest
    we have spoekn to DVLA and because of Xmas holidays and back log etc there are behind with paper work, so still cant VRT the vehicle maddness pure madness
    anyways i'm finished stressing out about this issue, i've made my decission to go against the grain from now on and not be so straight with things in the future it's just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ok for ther last time
    i paid the customs officer's cash that day
    we did contact the VRT + DVLA adn awaiting completion of registeration form's
    the car we purchased could not be got in Irl e.g. same colour, mileage, spek, also its cheaper even with VRT etc
    also we both held full Uk licence's but decided to change them as we live now in Ireland
    if i didn't want to pay VRT and scam it, we could get our Uk licences back and use our address in the Uk yes we still have a address there , but being straight decided not to do such a thing
    so to cap it,
    i'll scam/fraud whatever in future it's not worth being fair in this country
    thanks for all the + feedback and also for the - i can see all you're point's of view
    End

What has any of that got to do with the fact that you were going about it wrongly? If all was above board and doen properly you wouldnt have had to pay anyting.

So you should have either parked it up, gotten a letter from the vro or gotten the proper documents when buying it. You did none of these and were drivign the car illegally on the roads, so you had to pay to rectify that.

anyways i'm finished stressing out about this issue, i've made my decission to go against the grain from now on and not be so straight with things in the future it's just not worth it

As above, if you were beign straight with things, the situation wouldnt have occured.

Stekelly wrote: »
    What has any of that got to do with the fact that you were going about it wrongly? If all was above board and doen properly you wouldnt have had to pay anyting.

So you should have either parked it up, gotten a letter from the vro or gotten the proper documents when buying it. You did none of these and were drivign the car illegally on the roads, so you had to pay to rectify that.

As above, if you were beign straight with things, the situation wouldnt have occured.

Look if you cant actually read my post's correctly please dont bother to reply ok, if you had read them correctly you would have relised that we have being trying to sort the matter out since january

i've gone through all you're ahem reply's to my post and to be honest i just think you find some twisted joy in stiring things, no joy here buddy find another poster to annoy with you're so right citizen ploy
    just go away and annoy some one that give's a **** about you're reply post's :rolleyes: LOL
    away with ya no kido ok :D

Look if you cant actually read my post's correctly please dont bother to reply ok, if you had read them correctly you would have relised that we have being trying to sort the matter out since january
    D

Again, none of that matters to the fact that the law states that its to be VRT'd by the end of the next working day.

You chose to drive a vehicle on the road illegally, none of your excuses change that. Any of the 3 things could have covered you (note from the vro, getting the right documents when buying , or keeping the car off the roads(not 100% safe but will most likely be ok) )

You can whinge and throw in "lol's" and smilie's all you like, it doesnt make you right.

Again, none of that matters to the fact that the law states that its to be VRT'd by the end of the next working day.

You chose to drive a vehicle on the road illegally, none of your excuses change that. Any of the 3 things could have covered you (note from the vro, getting the right documents when buying , or keeping the car off the roads(not 100% safe but will most likely be ok) )

You can whinge and throw in "lol's" and smilie's all you like, it doesnt make you right.
    hopefully this will be the last post ok
    1. this in not exactly a whinge as you say just pointing out some fact's
    2. i never stated i was right, just trying to sort a matter but fined for trying to actually be straight with a difficult paperwork process
    3. Driving Illegally ?? the vehicle was taxed and insured also full licence holder, define illegally please and dont use because it was on a UK plate, are you stating somehow we broke a common law
    4. you actually do seem to have a very extremely unpleasent approach Stekelly to a genuine poster asking advice and why a fine was impossed in such a fashion
    5. please refrain if you can from replying i do find you're replys to be just stiring things and not actually helping, find something else to do on you're sunday maybe something nice if thats not beyound you,
    actually why not stand on you're nearest town centre and shout how an upright person you seem to be run along now there's a good fella

if you do want to reply please be civil and please do read my original post's in full before you reply thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

FFS. The guy said he was willing to pay the VRT, he clearly made an effort to contact the VRT office and sort out a simple paperwork issue before he could pay the VRT. Its not like he was deliberately dodging the tax, and he was going to pay it as soon as he was able to, at the end of the day the revenue were going to get their money from this ridiculous tax off the guy so whats the problem? The way his wife was treated by a state employee is like something out of Stalinist Russia and is a disgrace.

Yes your supposed to pay the VRT within 24 hours of arriving in the country but live in the real world and you'll realize this is not an option for most people, it can take a few days or a week or two to get things sorted. Just because the Government has closed every possible loophole on this tax does not make it right, and the way it was enforced in this case is just wrong as well. As usual the Irish motorist just rolls over and takes it.

At least in June the rates are a bit fairer, though I still fail to see the value for money we get for the 2billion a year payed in VRT when members of our own government are not 'tax compliant'.

hopefully this will be the last post ok
    1. this in not exactly a whinge as you say just pointing out some fact's
    2. i never stated i was right, just trying to sort a matter but fined for trying to actually be straight with a difficult paperwork process
    3. Driving Illegally ?? the vehicle was taxed and insured also full licence holder, define illegally please and dont use because it was on a UK plate, are you stating somehow we broke a common law
    4. you actually do seem to have a very extremely unpleasent approach Stekelly to a genuine poster asking advice and why a fine was impossed in such a fashion
    5. please refrain if you can from replying i do find you're replys to be just stiring things and not actually helping, find something else to do on you're sunday maybe something nice if thats not beyound you,
    actually why not stand on you're nearest town centre and shout how an upright person you seem to be run along now there's a good fella

if you do want to reply please be civil and please do read my original post's in full before you reply thank you

1) seemed like whinging in your earlier posts.
    2)again, doig tings "straight" implies properly, which for a resident, you werent by driving a foreign reg'd vehicle.
    3)illegally because you are a resident driving a foreign vehicle here. Taxed? how did you tax a british reg'd car? if you mean british tax, you may as well have burnt that disc for all it matters here.
    4) I couldnt care less what people do tbh, but when you come on givig out about the manner you were made pay a tax that should have been payed before you decided to use the car I feel entitled to reply.
    5) you can find them stirring all you like, im just replying. If you think I'm breaking the rules, report the post.
    astraboy wrote: »
    FFS. The guy said he was willing to pay the VRT, he clearly made an effort to contact the VRT office and sort out a simple paperwork issue before he could pay the VRT.

Again, what does that matter to the fact he was driving when he shouldnt have been. There was a coupleof threads recently about people "only drivign a bit" before sortign their isurance, doesnt make it any less wrong.

Not saying its the same but you cant give out about being done for not paying VRT/insurance/tax/NCT if you chose to drive wothout one or all of them.

SteKelly, glad to see your perfect yourself. :rolleyes: What was the guy supposed to do, not drive his car? It was out of his control that he could not register the car in Ireland yet due to paperwork issues. If he was blatantly avoiding the tax that is different. And there is no excuse for the way customs treated him and his family.

1) seemed like whinging in your earlier posts.
    2)again, doig tings "straight" implies properly, which for a resident, you werent by driving a foreign reg'd vehicle.
    3)illegally because you are a resident driving a foreign vehicle here. Taxed? how did you tax a british reg'd car? if you mean british tax, you may as well have burnt thta disc for all it matters here.
    4) I couldnt care less what people do tbh, but when you come on givig out about the manner you were made pay a tax that should have been payed before you decided to use the car I feel entitled to reply.
    5) you can find them stirring all you like, im just replying. If you think I'm breaking the rules, report the post.

Again, what does that matter to the fact he was driving when he shouldnt have been. There was a coupleof threads recently about people "only drivign a bit" before sortign their isurance, doesnt make it any less wrong.

Not saying its the same but you cant give out about being done for not paying VRT/insurance/tax/NCT if you chose to drive wothout one or all of them.

Unbelievable
    doesen't even merit a decent reply TBH
    to sum you up in my view Stekelly quote from the movie Cool Hand Luke
    Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here

that quote there is called a sence of humour Stekelly sadly for you these can not be purchased but dont worry all is not lost
    i'm sure we will meet on other topic's here chill out relax :cool: catch ya on the next one

SteKelly, glad to see your perfect yourself. :rolleyes: What was the guy supposed to do, not drive his car? It was out of his control that he could not register the car in Ireland yet due to paperwork issues. If he was blatantly avoiding the tax that is different. And there is no excuse for the way customs treated him and his family.

Yes, he's supposed to not drive his car until all is in order. Where did I say I was perfect? The paperwork issue was not out of control. Theres plenty of inffo in the importing thread streesing what documents you should make sure and get when buying abroad. The other option, after making the mistake of not getting the proper documents is to get a letter off the VRO (not difficult) to cover him to drive.

There is an excuse, they are enetitled to sieze the car, I'm sure while researching what to do re VRT he came across the consequences of what would happen if stopped. He chose to drive anyway.

Unbelievable
    doesen't even merit a decent reply TBH
    to sum you up in my view Stekelly quote from the movie Cool Hand Luke
    Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here

that quote there is called a sence of humour Stekelly sadly for you these can not be purchased but dont worry all is not lost
    i'm sure we will meet on other topic's here chill out relax :cool: catch ya on the next one

I answered your points clearly and with proper answers. I'm not even going to attempt to squint and read whatever childish rubbish you have there. Just pay your bills in future and you wont have an7y trouble swith the law and wont have to come on here giving out.

Yes, he's supposed to not drive his car until all is in order. Where did I say I was perfect? The paperwork issue was not out of control. Theres plenty of inffo in the importing thread streesing what documents you should make sure and get when buying abroad. The other option, after making the mistake of not getting the proper documents is to get a letter off the VRO (not difficult) to cover him to drive.

There is an excuse, they are enetitled to sieze the car, I'm sure while researching what to do re VRT he came across the consequences of what would happen if stopped. He chose to drive anyway.

So him not remembering to get the correct piece of paper off the seller warrants a 1,400E fine and his wife being treated like a criminal? I'm glad your not a judge. Yes, he should have researched what he needed to get paperwork wise before he imported, but he made a genuine effort to clear up the incident and he gets treated like he did.

He was'nt in any way trying to avoid the tax, he was willing to pay once all was sorted out. Having your car on english reg plates for a few days before you register it is not a big deal, how many people can reasonably make it to the VRO within 24hrs of landing in Ireland with their new car? The law in regard to this is a joke anyway FFS, and though technically VRT is a registration tax we all know it violates the principles of the treaty of Rome regardig the free movement of goods and services across Europe.

Its also typical of customs to pick on the easy irish targets when we all know plenty of eastern Europeans living here for years without re registering their cars and paying VRT. I know several that are easily getting away with it. I disagree with VRT on principle anyway but if its going to be enforced like this it may as well apply to ALL that live in Ireland not just the easy targets the customs seek.

So him not remembering to get the correct piece of paper off the seller warrants a 1,400E fine and his wife being treated like a criminal? I'm glad your not a judge. Yes, he should have researched what he needed to get paperwork wise before he imported, but he made a genuine effort to clear up the incident and he gets treated like he did.

Its also typical of customs to pick on the easy irish targets when we all know plenty of eastern Europeans living here for years without re registering their cars and paying VRT. I know several that are easily getting away with it. I disagree with VRT on principle anyway but if its going to be enforced like this it may as well apply to ALL that live in Ireland not just the easy targets the customs seek.

Whos to say he's not lieing and using the "honest mistake guv'nor" excuse? Is law breaking ok as long as your ignorant of said law or didnt look into it enough? Not saying he is but how is the customs guy to know wich catagory the guy falls into? the result is fair application of the las to anyone.

and yet again I'll say it. He could have gotten a letter from the VRO to cover him.

As for the eastern Europeans, most of them probably wouldnt have to pay vrt anywya as it would be a change of residency job but at the risk of tarnishing all with the same brush (I have and do work with a few EE) most of the time it is done (not re-registering) as a way to avoid having to get tax /Insurance/NCT and traceability. At which case it is really a Garda matter and not a customs one I would think.

Generally an "easy target" is just that because they make themselves one (notdoing things by the book etc)

I answered your points clearly and with proper answers. I'm not even going to attempt to squint and read whatever childish rubbish you have there. Just pay your bills in future and you wont have an7y trouble swith the law and wont have to come on here giving out.

o dear from you're last post it may seem that indeed there is a dint in you're armour you seem a tad uptight in you're reply

i pay my way allways have allways will DONT TRY TO SLANDER ME WITH THAT OK not paying my bill's

you no douth going by you're post's allways seem to want the last word
    i'd honestly say you're some bundle of joy at the party mother a god will you please go away get a sence of humour perhaps along with a personnality anything try to see other's views on subjects, if you have no control over you're own issue's why come on here stamping you're so upright view's on other's no matter what is right or wrong ok thats a little tip there for you as to how to get along with others work on that for a while and then come back !!!!!!!!
    you can have the last word it's not critial to me but does seem to you , if it make's you happy then so be it enjoy and move to you're next conquest please

o dear from you're last post it may seem that indeed there is a dint in you're armour you seem a tad uptight in you're reply

i pay my way allways have allways will DONT TRY TO SLANDER ME WITH THAT OK not paying my bill's

you no douth going by you're post's allways seem to want the last word
    i'd honestly say you're some bundle of joy at the party mother a god will you please go away get a sence of humour perhaps along with a personnality anything try to see other's views on subjects, if you have no control over you're own issue's why come on here stamping you're so upright view's on other's no matter what is right or wrong ok thats a little tip there for you as to how to get along with others work on that for a while and then come back !!!!!!!!
    you can have the last word it's not critial to me but does seem to you , if it make's you happy then so be it enjoy and move to you're next conquest please

From your last few replies I assume your way out of an arguement is to change the subject and hope no one notices? What have your ramblings got to do with motors in general , let alone the thread subject?

• Advertisement

Whos to say he's not lieing and using the "honest mistake guv'nor" excuse? Is law breaking ok as long as your ignorant of said law or didnt look into it enough? Not saying he is but how is the customs guy to know wich catagory the guy falls into? the result is fair application of the las to anyone.

and yet again I'll say it. He could have gotten a letter from the VRO to cover him.

As for the eastern Europeans, most of them probably wouldnt have to pay vrt anywya as it would be a change of residency job but at the risk of tarnishing all with the same brush (I have and do work with a few EE) most of the time it is done (not re-registering) as a way to avoid having to get tax /Insurance/NCT and traceability. At which case it is really a Garda matter and not a customs one I would think.

Generally an "easy target" is just that because they make themselves one (notdoing things by the book etc)

Fair point, I'm only going on what he posted here. Can you get a letter to stipulate you are awaiting paperwork to register your car? Also as regards the EE's I'd say you are correct, many of them would have owned the car before they bought it over so the 6 month rule would apply. However it still brings up the implications of NCT/insurance etc and it appears where there is not easy pickings to be made the customs/guards do not want to know!

Fair point, I'm only going on what he posted here. Can you get a letter to stipulate you are awaiting paperwork to register your car? !

It woul dappear so. Didnt know myslef up till a few weeks ago. My cousin brought in an Elise, got the wrong part of the V5 (lucky enough the seller still had it when herang him. So my cousin got a letter from the VRO to cover till he gets the documents. He's heading to the VRO this week after getting the car back form the garage (2 weeks for a service :eek:)

From your last few replies I assume your way out of an arguement is to change the subject and hope no one notices? What have your ramblings got to do with motors in general , let alone the thread subject?
    ok this is my last post on the subject
    i didn't relise this was a argurement Stekelly i though the boards where a place to seek advice and gain knowledge on subjects from you're post this seems incorrect
    anyways to answer you're question on how i may settle a argurement nope it is not to change the subject i mearly defended myself against a tirade of Unreasonable post's from youself my god man thats called standing up for oneself , i do this in real life to it's having some diginity and respect for yourself
    ok i'm tired of you TBH you no longer hold any degree of knowledge i'm seeking on the matter you Contributed actually nothing of value to me

we could trade insults forever here but i unlike yourself may have better things to do and even may have actually friends i mean real people that actually breath air, you'll understand when you get some of you're owe
    so bye bye and thanks again for the brief but funny ahem argurement it was errrrrrrrrrrrr exiciting to say the least
    i may be away when you reply so whatever enjoy stay safe and above all man keep it real LMAO

It woul dappear so. Didnt know myslef up till a few weeks ago. My cousin brought in an Elise, got the wrong part of the V5 (lucky enough the seller still had it when herang him. So my cousin got a letter from the VRO to cover till he gets the documents. He's heading to the VRO this week after getting the car back form the garage (2 weeks for a service :eek:)
    read the posts
    the dealer kept the V5 sending it to DVLA, we spoke to the VRT office we spoke tot eh DVAL etc
    so we are still wrong i guess ok done deal then

read the posts
    the dealer kept the V5 sending it to DVLA, we spoke to the VRT office we spoke tot eh DVAL etc
    so we are still wrong i guess ok done deal then

I know I've said it loads fo times, but again, thats irrelevant. you coul dhave insisted on the V5 ( he could well not know the preocedure for sellingto someone leaving the country) failing that you ask ang get a letter froom the VRO. Failing all that, you dont drive until its sorted for fear of exactly what happened to you , which is clearly documented as a potential consequence.

it is not to change the subject i mearly defended myself against a tirade of Unreasonable post's from youself my god man thats called standing up for oneself , i do this in real life to it's having some diginity and respect for yourself

Jesus , if you think that was a tirade,you need to get out more. I answered your number points with clear answers. You must be very sensitive. Your two posts after that had nothing to do with your threads and just seemd to be you playing with the font settings and random rubbish.
    you Contributed actually nothing of value to me

Surely you now know what you need to do in case of importing again , no? seeing as you claim you didnt before

we could trade insults forever here

Where did I insult you?

relax will ya Stekelly
    ok sure you're a wealth of information so ya are
    anyways the topic is gone off topic
    as stated man we could trade insults all night i have better things to do thats Unless you really want to go to town on it with me
    i for one am tired of you and i'd say i'm certainly not the only one either
    enought said i have a life you kido go seek one out
    sorry man sorry i shold have checked you're profile first before all this started sorry
    you're a member for 5 years with over 9000 post's wow fair play i didn't think i was up against a big poster wow
    just a tip ok i also noticed with over 9000 post's and 5 years on here you aint got no friends in you're list

i ahem rest my case
    good luck stekelly i really really mean that kido

as stated man we could trade insults all night

Again, where did I insult you?

Again, where did I insult you?
    Kido read my above post enought said ok
    i really really aint got the time to entertain you any longer i really truly have better things to get on with :cool:

Kido read my above post enought said ok
    i really really aint got the time to entertain you any longer i really truly have better things to get on with :cool:

The only thing I've said in the last 2 posts was where did I insult you, your the one evadig the question. It's not adifficult one yet you felt the need to imply I did twice. Filling in around it with babbleig nonsese doesnt hide it btw.

• Advertisement

and now it gets closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement