Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auditions

Options
  • 07-12-2007 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey, hope ye are all well,

I have recently been getting interested in drama and acting. I dont have any experience apart from school plays when I was about 5 which doesnt really count! However I am determined to give it a shot anyhow. I am planning to go to an audition next week for a play that will be put on by the drama society at college. There have been signs up around the place for it. However it does not mention anything about preparation or what is expected. Does one have to go for a particular role and learn lines or how do these things work? Please excuse my ignorance and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Give it a go....Definitely. If you aren't successful in the audition then maybe try going to a drama school for a while. It'll give you more of a confidence boost

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Hey, hope ye are all well,

I have recently been getting interested in drama and acting. I dont have any experience apart from school plays when I was about 5 which doesnt really count! However I am determined to give it a shot anyhow. I am planning to go to an audition next week for a play that will be put on by the drama society at college. There have been signs up around the place for it. However it does not mention anything about preparation or what is expected. Does one have to go for a particular role and learn lines or how do these things work? Please excuse my ignorance and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :)

Well, I've only experience with one college Dramsoc - that of UCG or NUI, Galway as it's now known - and certainly for that it was just a turn-up-and-do-your-bit kind of deal. It's amateur after all, not professional. :)

In my experience you'd be given a short piece by one of the characters in the play - if the audition was for a specific character, then that character, if not then a character that you could play (say, any of the male chars, if you're a guy). You'd have 5 or 10 minutes to look over the piece, and then you'd go in and give it your best shot. They don't expect you to have it off by heart or anything, or even necessarily "act it out", although obviously if the spirit moves you and you do do more than just sit in the chair, that could stand you in good stead.

Go for it! It's worth it and much fun. And if you don't get anything this time, don't for the love of God let it put you off. The rejection is hard, but the harsh reality is it's a fact of dramatic life.

If you're in Dublin and interested in pursuing drama further, the Gaiety School of Acting do short courses for those interested, but not yet sure on pursuing a career. They're pricey enough though, especially for students. But Dramsoc is some of the greatest experience you can get, cos you can get hands-on experience in all aspects of theatre life, on-stage, backstage, directing, tech stuff. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

Make sure that you have read the play that you are auditioning for. You should have some idea of the part you'd like to play. Be realistic! If possible, be prepared to read or speak a piece from the play. Be prepared to be the equivalent of the 'spear carrier' to get experience.
    The Gaiety school is well worth checking out if you are serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Arlo-Gilbert

Thanks for the info :-)

Alro Gilbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 little britain

Thanks for your support and advice guys. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement