Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btireland inbound ssh

Options
  • 07-12-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just trying to setup inbound ssh to my linux box. I have btireland dsl broadband connection and a netgear router. I have dynamic dns setup and it is working fine. I then have the port 22 forwarded onto to IP address of my linux box. I have an sshd running on the box and it is accessible from the machines on the lan. I cannot however connect to this machine from remote machines.

I emailed btireland about this and they replied and assured me that they have no firewall in place. I have setup an inbound ssh connection previously with smart and esat using the same router so I am thinking its btireland that are the problem. The only other thing I was thinking was the the router might be giving problems. It got a bang and was a bit flaky for a while but has been ok recently.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or know if inbound ssh access is possible with btireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

I used to run an ssh server on my bt connection no problem. Granted that was about a a year and a half ago now, so they could have changed things since, but I seriously doubt it. Have you tried changing the listening port on the server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I have SSH set up on my BT connection. I used to use port 22, but I could tell from my logs that there were multiple brute-force attacks every day. While I felt there wasa zero risk, it was annoying. I switched to a non-standard port, and I haven't had any problems since.

Advertisement