Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New A4 - Diesel or Petrol

Options
  • 07-12-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of ordering a new A4 but stuck deciding to go for the 1.8T or 2.0TDI.

The 1.8T is 40,300 and the 2.0TDI is 44,300 I think. With the new VRT rates, I believe the two will cost very similar, however the new VRT rates don't come in until July. I'm kinda of eager to get one at the beginning of 08.

Any advice, suggestions would be welcome. Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you can afford the extra €4k, buy the TDI. Especially if you do decent mileage. It will be more economical to run and should have a much better residual when it's time to move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Anyone work out how much the new TDI version will cost from July '08 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The petrol model will find itself in the 24% VRT band, so that means it should cost €39,800 or thereabouts so €500 less, however the diesel will be in the 20% VRT band so should cost €38,762 so I'm guessing around €38,800, so thats a grand less than the petrol model. You could always have a BMW 318i ES which has the same power(although it won't have anything like the torque of a diesel of course) as the TDI A4 and is in the same VRT category(it even pollutes less CO2(7 g/km less to be precise at 142 g/km) than the diesel Audi even though it's a petrol) and that should end up costing €35,600 roughly, the plusher SE version should be €37,450 or the 318d with its 16% VRT category(129 g/km) and that should end up costing €37,200 approx or the 318d SE with more spec than the A4 and should end up costing €39,700 approx under the new scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92 wrote: »
    The petrol model will find itself in the 24% VRT band, so that means it should cost €39,800 or thereabouts so €500 less, however the diesel will be in the 20% VRT band so should cost €38,762 so I'm guessing around €38,800, so thats a grand less than the petrol model. You could always have a BMW 318i ES which has the same power(although it won't have anything like the torque of a diesel of course) as the TDI A4 and is in the same VRT category(it even pollutes less CO2(7 g/km less to be precise at 142 g/km) than the diesel Audi even though it's a petrol) and that should end up costing €35,600 roughly, the plusher SE version should be €37,450 or the 318d with its 16% VRT category(129 g/km) and that should end up costing €37,200 approx or the 318d SE with more spec than the A4 and should end up costing €39,700 approx under the new scheme.

I have to hand it to ya E92 - only you could take a question on which Audi to give an impromptu walk through the BeeEmm catalogue...........:D

Again!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have to hand it to ya E92 - only you could take a question on which Audi to give an impromptu walk through the BeeEmm catalogue...........:D

Again!

LOL, my username is E92, were you expecting me not to like or promote BMW:D? Seriously, I never told him/her if the 3 series was good, bad or indifferent nor did I say if the A4 was good, bad or indifferent(I've never seen never mind been in the new A4 so I've no idea what it is like). I've only had a brief spin in the current 3 series, and was duly impressed although it is small in the back and the boot is hardly the most capacious boot ever. I was merely bringing it to the OP's attention that there are other similar cars out that would cost the OP less, pollute less now that we have an emissions tax and deprive the Government more money. It just so happens that the greener and cheaper alternative is a BMW;).(and FWIW I told the OP a few facts, I didn't say ohhh the 3 series is miles better to drive and has a "better badge" and all the salesman's patter)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

E92 wrote: »
    LOL, my username is E92, were you expecting me not to like or promote BMW:D? Seriously, I never told him/her if the 3 series was good, bad or indifferent nor did I say if the A4 was good, bad or indifferent(I've never seen never mind been in the new A4 so I've no idea what it is like). I've only had a brief spin in the current 3 series, and was duly impressed although it is small in the back and the boot is hardly the most capacious boot ever. I was merely bringing it to the OP's attention that there are other similar cars out that would cost the OP less, pollute less now that we have an emissions tax and deprive the Government more money. It just so happens that the greener and cheaper alternative is a BMW;).(and FWIW I told the OP a few facts, I didn't say ohhh the 3 series is miles better to drive and has a "better badge" and all the salesman's patter)

i dont like E numbers :D they are bad for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd go with the diesel myself.

Co2 and VRT aside I switched recently and find a diesel car more relaxing to drive than a petrol. The new 2.0 common rail TDi in the A4 is supposed to be very good. I reckon if you add the DSG box you'll have a very nice motor indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd go with the diesel myself.

Co2 and VRT aside I switched recently and find a diesel car more relaxing to drive than a petrol. The new 2.0 common rail TDi in the A4 is supposed to be very good. I reckon if you add the DSG box you'll have a very nice motor indeed.

2nd that and wait until July if you can...cheaper car and cheaper road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    I'm thinking of ordering a new A4 but stuck deciding to go for the 1.8T or 2.0TDI.

The 1.8T is 40,300 and the 2.0TDI is 44,300 I think. With the new VRT rates, I believe the two will cost very similar, however the new VRT rates don't come in until July. I'm kinda of eager to get one at the beginning of 08.

Solid advice, don't waste your money...go out and buy a VW Passat they are exactly the same car. The new Audi A4's aren't worth that money. Had one for a year and couldn't stand it, they aren't a patch on the previous A4's. The
    basic A4 model has a real plastic feel about it. Gear stick and surround popped out in my hand one day, chrome trim fell off the boot.

For that money you could have a top of the range Passat with all the trimmings, leather, sunroof etc and your still getting the exact same engine as the A4 and in my opinion a far better built car.

Its up to personal preference I know, but for 44k I would expect a lot of car...and the new A4 is definitely not a lot of car. Think about the Passat or possible have a look at a 320D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

after July 08, :

road tax on 2.0TDI will be 290euro (141g/km)
    road tax on 1.8T will be 1000euro (192g/km)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Feelgood wrote: »
    For that money you could have a top of the range Passat with all the trimmings, leather, sunroof etc and your still getting the exact same engine as the A4 and in my opinion a far better built car.

Bear in mind the OP is referring to (correct me if I'm wrong) the B8 A4 which shares a lot less in common to the current Passat. So to compare them in this way is moot.

kyote00 wrote: »
    after July 08, :

road tax on 2.0TDI will be 290euro (141g/km)
    road tax on 1.8T will be 1000euro (192g/km)

Just looking at the new audi brochure, the co2 emissions are as follows:
    2.0 TDI 144g/I'm
    1.8T pertrol 169g/km (improvement over outgoing model)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

is that the new model a4 youre talking about?

hiscan wrote: »
    is that the new model a4 youre talking about?

Yes, this is the B8 model which is available to order now but won't hit the streets until next Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

The B8 model output seems to be 169g/km...=> 430euro...

http://www.eurocarblog.com/post/527/audi-a4-b8-first-official-informations

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ADSLUSER wrote: »

better off waiting, you prob won't get one until april at this stage anyway, wait for the 2.0TDI imo. I was in a similar position to yourself and am going to wait and see what happens and keep a close eye on which marques try to shaft us most. Looks like lexus are in the lead so far based on Meisters thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Feelgood wrote: »
    Solid advice, don't waste your money...go out and buy a VW Passat they are exactly the same car. The new Audi A4's aren't worth that money. Had one for a year and couldn't stand it, they aren't a patch on the previous A4's. The
    basic A4 model has a real plastic feel about it. Gear stick and surround popped out in my hand one day, chrome trim fell off the boot.

Its up to personal preference I know, but for 44k I would expect a lot of car...and the new A4 is definitely not a lot of car. Think about the Passat or possible have a look at a 320D :)

I drove the new A4 in both 1.8 and 2.0TDi engines last week and take it from me its a much much better car than the Passat. Its also based on a new platform, different to the Passat. We also drove both the 3 Series and C Class back to back and it eclipses both.

Its a fine car and the 1.8 was probably the nicer of these two engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Also depends on your driving style, if you like overtaking, the 2.0TDI has great low end torque. It's not very refined though, which is where the petrol would win.

RedorDead wrote: »
    I drove the new A4 in both 1.8 and 2.0TDi engines last week and take it from me its a much much better car than the Passat. Its also based on a new platform, different to the Passat. We also drove both the 3 Series and C Class back to back and it eclipses both.

Its a fine car and the 1.8 was probably the nicer of these two engines.

Where did you test drive the new A4, I'm dying to try it out myself! I'm torn with between the petrol or diesel. They will be quite similarly priced after July. I know the petrol will be more enjoyable to drive but with the drop in price for the diesel, which is also more economical, it sounds like the better deal. The 3 series is also an option and recommended by a lot of people but it's been out a few years now and looks a bit dated. I think a facelift is due but not until Sept next year. The 3 Series cabin is also showing it's age compared with the new A4. Actually the current cabin in the B7 A4 is still pretty good. Sounds like the best option for me at the moment is to hold out until July and see what happens. Those car manufacturers better not raise the price!!

Advertisement