Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky taking the mick?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Going to post this in the TV forum too, but someone here might have come across this before :

I've just been on to Sky looking to order Sky Multiroom, and they're telling me I need a permanent phone connection to the box in each room I want the boxes in. They're saying it's a technical limitation, but it sounds more to me like they just want to be able to talk to their sky boxes over the phone, and so are insisting on this.

I'm wondering if this is one of those things that the engineer will have a way around when he calls out.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you install multiroom without hooking up the phonelines, you will get threatening letters from sky (the "pay up or else we'll charge you full rate for the second box" kind of threat)

No workaround as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Its so they can check both cards are in the same house... no other way for them to do it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭still_raining

Yeah Sky are dirty like that sometimes. They tried to tell me to keep my phoneline connected for at least a year after I signed up but I plugged it out permanently after a few days and they weren't any the wiser. It's only needed for box office or interactive services. For you it'll depend on the enginneer. Personally I called a local Sky-approved electrician who I knew well and he got me off the hook on all these technicalities and installed everything no problem. I'm pretty sure they're not too strict on the phoneline requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You need all the multiroom boxes connected to the same phoneline for the entire time you subscribe. Its their way of making sure that, for example, you and your neighbour or yourself and one of your mates don't go splits on a multiroom subscription.

If you don't connect each box to the phoneline, or after installation you disconnect the phoneline from the boxes, then they will start to charge you full subscription for each box. Eg. If you pay €68 for sky world and then €15 for multiroom (€83 total), they'll instead whack you with €68 for each box - a total of €136 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

Yes I had Sky for about 3 years before I got multi room and the engineer had never connected the original box to the phoneline (dont know why didnt notice cos I never order movies or sport etc)
    Then when they connected the multiroom I was getting letters from them constantly about the original box.In the end I just connected it myself to save them the paper :cool:

Our phone is on the stairs and we dont have a phone socket upstairs but they just ran the wire down (really discreetly to be fair) and it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

i don't have the second box plugged into the phoneline never had since it was installed and never received any letters about it do know why? its only in the kids sitting room a i don't want them to have access to movies etc or they would cost me a small fortune each month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

We had Sky in our sitting room only for years with no phoneline hooked up
    to it, so then I decide I would like multi-room for my bedroom.

The engineer calls out and tells me he needs to install a phone line in my bedroom (obviously with extra charges), I told him no as the sales girl did not mention this when I purchased the multi-room, so he rang up the 'office' and they agreed with me that I didn't need a phone line so he set me up and all was well.....until.....a few months later the threatening letters start to arrive about not having it hooked up to a phonline :eek:

The funny thing was they didn't notice/mention the one in the sitting room at all, we just cancelled the whole lot then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its another way for them to make money, the boxes obviously don't need the phone line.

We have 4 sky lines in the house (Sky + and 2 Multi room) and we regularly get billed the "full" amount for multi room.

Advertisement