Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops plugged into the ceiling in the library

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

What the hell? When did people start doing that? It looks bizarre. I'm also confused as to how so many people can reach so high.

But most importantly: where is librocop in this madness?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Seen a few people doing it in science last year and to be fair, there is a need for more electrical points in the lib...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

haha i was wondering the exact same thing- there's one section in Library on 2nd floor and everyone had their laptops in the roof- it was crazy- i couldn't stop laughing it just looked so bizzare.... and some of these people were tiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

who the hell sticks sockets into the ceiling anyway?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

it's for doing work, plug in leccy tools and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I had a thread about this last year, thought it was really funny.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's spare sockets on the lighting loops. Presumably libro cop (or libro ban garda) can't been too happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

How the heck can you use them? I don't think I'd be able to reach that high if I stood on one of the desks...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I saw them there last Monday and wondered would people use them if looking for some space. Low and behold, this thread pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Red Alert wrote: »
    It's spare sockets on the lighting loops. Presumably libro cop (or libro ban garda) can't been too happy about it.
    There's a libro bean garda now? Aren't we very politically correct :p Anyway that's crazy, I must go see this! (the laptops, not the libro bean garda)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Breezer wrote: »
    There's a libro bean garda now? Aren't we very politically correct :p Anyway that's crazy, I must go see this! (the laptops, not the libro bean garda)

Shes been there ages. The small middle aged woman. Wouldnt put her on the same pedastal as librocop or the big guy with glasses though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Maybe now they'll allow us use the wall sockets? Surely plugging laptops into the ceiling is a...neck hazard? Yeah, that'll do...

I wonder who the first brave soul to do it was.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Maybe now they'll allow us use the wall sockets?
    You're not supposed to use those? I don't venture into the main library very often, not quite up to speed with such happenings as libro bean gardaí and socket regulations. And I got a very angry reaction (bordering on repulsion) the other day when I tried to return a short loan book in the short loan section :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It gives me a flashback of that scene with the sausages from 'Freddy got Fingered'....

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

you know I was just wondering while studying in the library the other day

and I meant to post here about them, bit of a coincidence
    what the hell are those sockets there for?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

I'll set the scene for an event I hope has or will happen at some point in time, either in UCD or another uni.

Pissing rain outside, library packed. A 150 cm tall 130 kilo guy who is socially shy walks into the packed library soaked and evenyone looks up so he sits in the first seat he sees. He takes out his laptop and realises that it is out of battery. He cant change seats to get nearer a plug so what does he do, he needs the laptop to do the essay due tomorrow. Frantically looking around he notices a socket on the roof. He doesn't want to be as conspicious as he would be when he stands on the desk (he is 150 cm tall remember, there is no way he is reaching that mutha from the ground) but he decides that there is no other option. He begins to pull himself onto the desk, laptop mains in hand, and people begin to look around and see him. He feels self concious but assures himself that it will all be over soon. Finally after some struggle he pulls himself onto the top of the desk and he begins to reach for the socket, but! the desk starts creaking loudly(130 kilos now remember). He decides not to look around but he knows all eyes are on him now. The creaking gets rather more loud and violent. With a final push he gets the plug into the socket. There is a sudden and serious sounding creak just as he does this. The guy looks up, to see everyone in the whole library looking at him, some at desks, others standing in the middle of the aisles. There is a moment of silence as the guy surveys the entire room, and the entire room surveys him, his face red and glazed wet from the rain outside. And then, with a loud, almost angry sounding snap, the desk gives way and the 130 kilo guy disappears from site in an instant. For that millisecond of free fall he wished he would just keep falling, but he didn't, he hit the carpet of the library floor, and in the process let rip a whopper fart......

And when did this happen to you?

Jesus, I thought that was so predictable that nobody would bother to do it, I guess i over estimated some members of this thing.

And it was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ah, I have located these legendary laptop ceiling people...and what a strange bunch they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

finally I saw somebody plug one out a few minutes ago- mind you he was a big lad- so i gave it a go myself- and to be honest standing on a table it is pretty hard- i couldn't reach the plug myself and i'm 6 foot 1, i was only a few inches off but i wonder how the small people do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

finally I saw somebody plug one out a few minutes ago- mind you he was a big lad- so i gave it a go myself- and to be honest standing on a table it is pretty hard- i couldn't reach the plug myself and i'm 6 foot 1, i was only a few inches off but i wonder how the small people do it

See small people are magic - you'd be amazed how we can do stuff that *tall* people is only in their realm.

Never underestimate the power of a small person - my elbow is at a great height. :p:D

• Advertisement

See small people are magic
    Yes, we have pixie powers :p I still haven't seen these people, I'm imagining a kind of digital jungle with power cords instead of vines and creepers.

I need to study. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Pixie powers??? Someone's going cookoo..... :p

I wish we had stuff hanging off the ceiling in health sci - that would be cool.

And i get the study thing, i'm trying to convince myself that playing with scenarios and cool pictures with sarcastic comments is studying.

'14 year old vehicular locksmith' heh heh

Advertisement