Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chinese medicine

Options
  • 07-12-2007 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

at the moment there's a lot of chinese herbal medicine shops popping up all over the place. i know that they do massages and accupuncture too.
    my line of thinking would be that because there's so many around there must be some good in they're methods.
    i was wondering if anybody has been brave enough yet to check out any of they're treatments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

they are in the crescent and o connell street arent they
    supposed to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Well that all depends if it's regulated and govt accredited.
    We had quite a few set up shop here until the govt stepped in with requirements and bang, they were all gone overnight. Funny that.
    Also wise to check the ingredients of what you're being given.
    While a fascinating culture, one of the most hideous features of Chinese society is their disdain for animals. Anyone visited a farmer's market in China? Cats, dogs, rare and exotic birds, horses...anything that moves it's there and butchered in front of you should you choose to buy it. Endangered is a foreign word in every sense to them. They just don't care. If it can be eaten, they'll give it to you. They'll even prepare it for you.
    In Chinese medicine, it is believed that dried Tiger penis powder leads to virility in men. Or bile extracted (painfully) from a Black Bear is believed to successfully treat illnesses of the eyes and liver. Both products are illegal in a lot of countries owing to the fact that they're derived from endangered species, often while tethered and amputated while alive and over a period of time. Check this for a heads up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile_bear

Traditional Chinese Medicine has its place - in practitioners who do not condone such practices and use non animal ingredients.

Buyer beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

personally I would be very slow to use chinese medicine for the reasons in what Tea Leaf has pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The Chinese Meds. phenomenon seems to be around a bit longer in the UK - If you Google "Dr. & Herbs" reviews [for sake of example] you'll find plenty of people have posted their experiences for better or worse.

Lots of the people who took the time to post seem to be of the opinion that the main objective here is profiteering by trying to get you back time and time again for multiple relatively expensive potions and lotions each time - http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews59013.html

But then again there are the 100% satisfied people who will be eternally grateful having been failed by our GPs/conventional medicine/etc. only to be helped by these chains - an example here http://www.reviewcentre.com/review259042.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I have used such a place in Dublin for the treatment of psoriasis.
    I used it for about 6 months for accupuncture, herbal tea and pills and cream

I did ask if all ingredients were vegitarian friendly and they assured me that everything was 100% vegitarian.

I had to stop recently as I am currently unemployed but I am impressed with the results. IT is a slow process which really got to me at first and especially with the costs involved but I decided to stick with it.

75% of my psoriasis has gone with no sign of it coming back in previously affected areas.

the one thing that will get to most people is the cost.

I paid 1K for 20 accupuncture/massage treatments and then the teas were 8 euro a day and absolutly vile stuff.

chinese medicine works but at a cost of both time patience and espeicially wallet..in saying that, for treatment of other conditions it may be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Washout,
    Would you mind telling which clinic/group you went to (PM if you don't want to publish). I have just started a course of treatment and I'm just a bit sceptical at the moment - everything seems to be about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

I was in the Jetland yesterday (Dr China) and had a lovely neck massage for about 10 minutes for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭blanco

I went to a great guy on Dame St. in Dublin. Dr. Zaing I think he was called (He's in the Golden Pages).

It's about €35 per visit and he doesn't try to sign you up to a really long course if it's not needed.

AVOID THOSE SHOPPING CENTRE GUYS LIKE THE PLAGUE!
    Some of them tried to get registered here, but when questioned it turns out that most of the aren'e even qualified.
    I'll PM the telephone number of the Irish Governing Body who examined them

Advertisement