Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the point of this forum?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Oddly enough this is one the few threads on here which could of done with a bit vigilant atheism
    What the heck is vigilant atheism?!
    Surely you can close this one now Dadaes...I mean thae last four posts were about Alanis morisette!
    Also a pet peeve of mine! "Isn't it iron..." *slap* "NO IT ISN'T!"

Tell you what though, instead of me or Asia locking the thread - how about people stop posting in it?
    Responsibility, people!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

thats not very nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Is this the forum to discuss atheist issues and ideas without fear of scorn from the "faithfull" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Is this the forum to discuss atheist issues and ideas without fear of scorn from the "faithfull" ?

Well, we do that on the other forums too. It's more about not upsetting them and being banned, really.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Dades wrote: »
    What the heck is vigilant atheism?!

Attentive? Uncomprimising?

It was a kind of humouros remark in referecne to your placid and open nature in regards to all things of moderation. The original post was about the purpose of this very forum and how atheists were a tough bunch so while I felt the question had little merit as it can be asked in any forum really (as I demonstrated with a counter post in the christianity forum) it was also clear that it wouldn't be locked quickly becasue we're an open bunch and tend to entertain a wider subject field than most other places under the relgion and spirituality subsection. Therefore my comment

'this is one of the very few threads (IMO) that could have done with some *uncompromising* moderation but considering the subject that would have been rather Ironic'
    particulary considering your reputation as a very openminded moderator, Ironic becasue it would have been justified if it had happened (i.e you locked it early due to lack of merit etc)....

PS.
    dades wrote:
    Also a pet peeve of mine! "Isn't it iron..." *slap* "NO IT ISN'T!"

Emm is that to me becasue I'll think you find that I already am on that side of the argument
    dades wrote:
    Tell you what though, instead of me or Asia locking the thread - how about people stop posting in it?
    Responsibility, people!

Agreed....from here on in obviously..just had to clear that up you understand...

• Advertisement

Agreed....from here on in obviously..just had to clear that up you understand...
    Indeed!
    Given the heathen population posting in Christianity it would be travesty to censure visiting posters here. Besides, I saw the wolves licking their chops when the lamb walked in.

Indeed!
    Given the heathen population posting in Christianity it would be travesty to censure visiting posters here. Besides, I saw the wolves licking their chops when the lamb walked in.

Tasty, but somehow unsatisfying. I sort of fancy another one already, but not a Catholic this time. There's more to chew on with evangelicals like PDN.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

There's some chewin' on a porpoise alright.

There's some chewin' on a porpoise alright.

Mmm...muscular Christianity!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Mordeth wrote: »
    didn't you storm out a while ago?

Nope got kicked out of the Christianity forum. Shouldnt have expected a sense of humour.

I havent been here because I have ben too busy with the Airsoft forum.

It looks like I missed some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

kelly1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the thread has descended into chaos. My original idea was to try to point out that many atheists come across (to me at least) as arrogant and condescending towards believers.

They seem to think that science and reason are all that matter and will solve all our problems. It's very clear that the world is in a big mess and it will only be resolved by turning to God. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly deluded.

That's my opinion anyway.

God bless,
    Noel.

I despise it when people post tripe like this up and then use the cop-out statement of "that's my opinion" as a get-out-of-jail-free-card.

Garbage, of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nice try. What Bush and Bin Laden did is evil, nothing to do with God.
    Surely that's up to your God to decide, not you?
    "Judge not, lest ye be Judged..." Luke 6:36-38
    Christ told us exactly how God wants us to live and there's nothing Christian about blowing up thousands of people.
    So when George W. publicly admitted that he prayed and Jesus told him to invade Iraq, who exactly was he listening to?

Sure, there's nothing Christian about blowing up thousands of people, but you've defended the Crusades openly in this thread; how can you square that by justifying the slaughter of thousands of Christians, Jews and Muslims by Crusaders over two centuries?

The irony of Bush initially calling the invasion of Iraq Operation Enduring Crusade is not lost on most.

Is that not an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Is that not an opinion?

Yes, but I did not use the cop-out statement, trying to be smartass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talon1977

So when George W. publicly admitted that he prayed and Jesus told him to invade Iraq, who exactly was he listening to?

Sure, there's nothing Christian about blowing up thousands of people, but you've defended the Crusades openly in this thread; how can you square that by justifying the slaughter of thousands of Christians, Jews and Muslims by Crusaders over two centuries?

The irony of Bush initially calling the invasion of Iraq Operation Enduring Crusade is not lost on most.

Here here! The crusades were wrong then, and Bush's crusade is wrong now. I never have bought into Augustine's "Just War" arguments.

It's a real shame that a good number of evangelical Christians in the U.S. seem to have simply bought whatever Bush is selling, and at whatever price he sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Richard Perle, Donald Rumsfeld, Henry Kissinger, Dick Cheney, King Faisal, The Entire Saudi Royal Family, The Zionist Lobby group in Washington DC.

Apparently they could answer his prayers.......
    Wonder who'll answer his last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Is that not an opinion?
    Just wondering - is this ironic?

Not in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kelly1 and estebancambias, you don't believe in zeus or jupiter or allah or buddha or vishnu or appollo or thor or xenu (scientology) or jehovah's witnesses god (whatever they call him).

there have been thousands of gods throughout human history. let's assume there have been 1484 gods. you don't believe in 1483 of them. we just go one god further. why is that so mind boggling to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What is the point of this forum? Well, last week it proved its worth.

I was in Cameroon and found that I was able to understand pidgin English without a translator! My Cameroonian hosts were amazed, but I explained to them about this forum and how deciphering the unusual spelling and grammar of one or two posters has enhanced my linguistic versatility.

This humble preacher thanks boards.ie from the bottom of his heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭fairplay

Can I just clear something up here...people seem to have this idea that I am some kind of Fundamentalist...wrong...I am nothing of the sort, what I do have is a strong belief there is A God. I am Catholic, however I do rationally accept that my God may not be the God I believe in. However I am convinced a God is at work.

Also, my dad said to me yesterday, after I had an argument I had with my sister. She said 'so much for you, who never goes to mass' I replied 'yeah but have you observed the world that surrounds you?'' My dad said good boy, which I immediately turned around and snapped at him. 'Good Boy'? I replied. What makes me a good boy? Because I recognise God had to be at work creating this place we live in makes me a good boy...

Do you think I have not considered that perhaps there is no God? Actually from 13-16, I really did doubt.

Can I ask you something, if lets say you were at a funeral where a young person was killed tragically, for example they were killed beyond their control what would you say to the parents? How can you comfort them? I don't believe an Atheist posesses this ability. You can crap on about how religion has prohibted your precious science, but I'm sorry **** Science. This is not trolling, this is actually my real views. If Religion offers a person a 'comfort zone' through their life then Religion has served its purpose. When a person dies(and IF there is no afterlife) then believing in God for the time they were on the earth was irrelevant. My problem is with you is that you fail to realise that believing in something beyond what WE regard as normal is a wonderful part of humans.

The point missed by many in this debate is that there is a vast body of evidence supporting an afterlife. This is casually swept aside by the anti-religion, "scientific" lobby...It would greatly help the situation if science would adapt to the need to investigate paranormal phenomona such as NDEs, astral projection, death bed visions, recollections of past lives, the work of reputable mediums (the emphasis here is one REPUTABLE).

Attacking with venom anyone who professes a belief in an afterlife or indeed a spiritual dimension to like is surely on a par with the narrow sectarian approach of religion when it goes off the rails.

So, Eseban, keep asserting your views and beliefs. You have a great deal more truth on your side than those bigots who want to slience you.

Talon1977 wrote: »
    Here here! The crusades were wrong then, and Bush's crusade is wrong now. I never have bought into Augustine's "Just War" arguments.

It's a real shame that a good number of evangelical Christians in the U.S. seem to have simply bought whatever Bush is selling, and at whatever price he sets.

All very well to attack Bush...but consider the alternative: a world where al Qaeda runs rampant...where religious nuts rule the roost. Does respecting religious freem entail accepting those cruel systems that enforce punishments like stong to death, execution of rape victims, etc?

The problem with Bush is that he hasn't gone far enough. The US should be liberating ALL so-called "Moslem" states, and overthrowing the brutal regimes in Burma, China, North Korea, the African continent.

No picking and choosing. Just treat all oppressive cruel regimes as the "Free World" dealt with the Nazis, even if the free world at that time included Stalin's dictatorship.

I'd like to see one big "D Day" when all the rotten cruel regimes were swept away by the forces of democracy.

Perhaps a future president of the USA will have the vision and courage to wage a short sharp war against ALL tyranny in the world. Just take out the tyrants and let the decent folk live in peace.

fairplay wrote: »
    The point missed by many in this debate is that there is a vast body of evidence supporting an afterlife. This is casually swept aside by the anti-religion, "scientific" lobby...It would greatly help the situation if science would adapt to the need to investigate paranormal phenomona such as NDEs, astral projection, death bed visions, recollections of past lives, the work of reputable mediums (the emphasis here is one REPUTABLE).

To say this is to completely misrepresent science. History is littered with people attempting to approach the paranormal scientifically, and in every single case they're ended up empty handed.

All you or anyone needs to do is come up with a reproducible experiment that repeatedly shows any paranormal phenomena. Yes there will be resistance to it, but eventually someone will replicate it, then someone else and then you have have a new branch of science named after you and a Nobel. Very simple really.

Science isn't just done by 'scientists', it isn't agreed by committees or silenced by lobby groups. Science is a structured investigation into nature that anyone anywhere can participate in. Design an experiment, conduct it and write up the results. If the results are impressive then someone somewhere will try and replicate it.

If any of these 'reputable psychics' wanted to be tested in a scientific manner then I'm sure it would happen, however when push comes to shove I think you'll find it's always the paranormalists that make excuses and don't participate ("They know it works and have nothing to prove")

So, Eseban, keep asserting your views and beliefs. You have a great deal more truth on your side than those bigots who want to slience you.
    There is a substantial "wealth" of evidence that alien UFOs exist. Does not believing their validity make you bigot.
    All very well to attack Bush...but consider the alternative: a world where al Qaeda runs rampant...where religious nuts rule the roost.
    Religious nuts come in all shapes and sizes. Just because one wears a suit instead of a dishdasha...

pH wrote: »
    To say this is to completely misrepresent science. History is littered with people attempting to approach the paranormal scientifically, and in every single case they're ended up empty handed.

Complete and utter bull****.

Have you read D. Blum's "Ghost Hunters"? Empty handed...? I don't thinK so"

In dealing with paranormal phenomena we are dealing very often with subtle energies and activities. Yes, take stringent measures ti eliminate actual fraud and trickey...but bear in mind that this is not a simply a case of observing something through a microscope or repeating a CONVENTIONAL experiment.

The forces at work here may not lend themselves to conventional scientific approaches. Science needs to adapt to the special nature of the paranormal.
    Spirits cannot simply turn up "on cue" to repeat phenomena to suit some guy in a white coat who wants to write up a report for a scientific journal.

Science needs to come of its deep denial on this issue.

Yes, guard against fraud and charlatans...but don't dismiss results of experiments that don't conform to scientific expectations.

Consider medium Leslie Flint...he pass every test for fraud but hard nosed scumbag so-called "scientists" still try to discredit this decent man, whose only "crime" was to provide evidence that we survive bodily death.

Complete and utter bull****.
    says you.
    Have you read D. Blum's "Ghost Hunters"? Empty handed...? I don't thinK so"
    Why are there any repeatable experiments in there that prove paranormal phenomenon?
    In dealing with paranormal phenomena we are dealing very often with subtle energies and activities. Yes, take stringent measures ti eliminate actual fraud and trickey...but bear in mind that this is not a simply a case of observing something through a microscope or repeating a CONVENTIONAL experiment.

Science deals with very subtle energies and activities all the time, it's never been a problem where they actually do exist.
    The forces at work here may not lend themselves to conventional scientific approaches. Science needs to adapt to the special nature of the paranormal.
    Spirits cannot simply turn up "on cue" to repeat phenomena to suit some guy in a white coat who wants to write up a report for a scientific journal.
    Science is as Science does. You're pretty much saying that science can't study the paranormal so why are you whinging when it doesn't?
    Science needs to come of its deep denial on this issue.
    Science doesn't have a mind and cannot be in denial. Produce a repeatable experiment that shows any aspect of the paranormal and like I said, you'll eventually get someone to replicate, then word will spread, your name will be given to a new branch of science, you'll get a Nobel and be ranked up there with Newton and Einstein. Nothing stopping you at all.

Consider medium Leslie Flint...he pass every test for fraud but hard nosed scumbag so-called "scientists" still try to discredit this decent man, whose only "crime" was to provide evidence that we survive bodily death.
    Some really poor voice acting is hardly evidence that we survive bodily death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

there have been thousands of gods throughout human history. let's assume there have been 1484 gods. you don't believe in 1483 of them. we just go one god further. why is that so mind boggling to you?

+1

prove that you are right and we will close this forum. The important word being *prove*

Advertisement