Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Relevant topics in Bargain Alerts.

Options
  • 08-12-2007 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if perhaps the mods of Bargain alerts could be a bit more vigilant on product request or "where can I buy x?" threads.

Examples of such threads are: here and here where the OP isn't actually looking for a bargain, but looking for a product instead.

I fear that in the run up to Christmas, the forum will be inundated with more similar requests that only serve to ensure that some people miss out on genuine bargains that are posted.

A far-fetched solution to the problem could be the creation of a "Product Request" forum dedicated to the needs of users who've served high and low for something and can't find it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Adverts.ie is the place for that. Dunno how there allowed to post requests there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will have a work with my co-mods to see what we can come up with. I have noticed that people have been just using the forum as a 'find it for me'. Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was actually looking for a bragain and not just a location...

Your picking on me now Murderer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I have to say I agree with Murderer. I browse the BA section a good bit and I've noticed this getting progressively worse over the past couple of weeks. This thread for instance is as good as they get! Absolutely no information. Forum is becomming an absolute joke and I'd like to see some bannings if people keep doing it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Have to agree with that BA is changing and not for the better. I had to leave it today as the majority of threads satrted were req this or that. I will always do a search for older threads before posting a request in BA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

theres a thread in "forum" forum looking for a Request Bargain Alerts child section to the forum. not a bad idea imo. theres also an increasing number of requests threads with no request tags in the title, which is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I agree with the op, I was browsing Bargain alerts this morning and thought there were way too many REQ threads. However I would not like to see them removed completly as somtimes the replies to such threads contain intersting information. Maybe a single thread for requests or if theres too many posts for that a sub forum might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I agree, its the same guys posting all the bargains (fair play basquille) & all these newbies to BA being lazy & posting requests.
    I admit I bumped the DS lite one (but that thread is a popular request) as a friend needs one, came back a few hours later & it had been knocked to second page & there was some guy looking for cheapest xmas trees northside :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Why does the Christmas tree guy warrant a rolleyes and your own threadbump doesn't?

As far as I can see, you're both part of the problem.

The wanted section of adverts.ie is the only suggestion i can offer at present, but unfortunately it doesn't get as much traffic as it might.

Why does the Christmas tree guy warrant a rolleyes and your own threadbump doesn't?

As far as I can see, you're both part of the problem.

The wanted section of adverts.ie is the only suggestion i can offer at present, but unfortunately it doesn't get as much traffic as it might.

Hang on sec here pal, a christmas tree costs feck all & theres plenty availible, the nintendo DS is impossible to get therefore its a genuine request & if you look at the thread there are loads of people after them.
    Now some other guy has put a request in for a monopoly board!!
    Im not part of the problem, if you read BA at all you know i often post actual bargain alerts (what the forum is for) and very rarely (if ever) place a request.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Keith C wrote: »
    Hang on sec here pal, a christmas tree costs feck all & theres plenty availible, the nintendo DS is impossible to get therefore its a genuine request & if you look at the thread there are loads of people after them.

Well the guy was looking for a cheap christmas tree so at least that is kinda close to on topic (because he is looking for a bargain). You are looking for a product not a bargain which is why I would consider the christmas tree guys request more relevant to the forum than yours.

I believe requests like the ds thread are the one the op is complaining about so it would appear you are part of the problem, no offence intended.

Hi buddy, loving the attitude there,

A case of we're all equal but some are less (in this case) equal than others, then?

I could pick about ten holes in your argument, but I'll simply say that BA is not for wanted requests, whether it's a needle, an anchor, or a prybar to get the chip off your shoulder you're looking for.

Ripping into someone looking for a tree, and in the same breath saying, "well, my item is actually in demand loike" justifies nothing. Your "pal" could have bought his DS during the summer, like I did...

Like it or not, your threadbump muddies the waters as much as tree or monopoly threads.

I advised you to try the Wanted section on adverts.ie, which is the only option open to people at the moment.

The BA request forum proposal has merit, and would deal admirably with threads of this nature.
    Keith C wrote: »
    Now some other guy has put a request in for a monopoly board!!
    Im not part of the problem, if you read BA at all you know i often post actual bargain alerts (what the forum is for) and very rarely (if ever) place a request.

Well the guy was looking for a cheap christmas tree so at least that is kinda close to on topic (because he is looking for a bargain). You are looking for a product not a bargain which is why I would consider the christmas tree guys request more relevant to the forum than yours.

I believe requests like the ds thread are the one the op is complaining about so it would appear you are part of the problem, no offence intended.

None taken, but can you not see the difference between requesting a DS which is impossible to get & requesting a christmas tree or monopoly board which are readily availible in shops/net?
    Ive no problem with the DS thread cause if any are found it really will be a bargain, how much of a bargain can be had on a tree or monopoly board??

PS have you actually read the DS thread? in case you hadnt, I posted on it once & its the last post on thread out of 60.

BTW I havent started any [Req] threads, where it reads that you guys think i have, hence the "part of the problem" tag ye are putting on me??

Ah relax.

No one accused you of that at all, (even though you did ;))

For the record, a [Req] thread is a [Req] thread, simple as.

If you feel so strongly about this issue, and IMO it does have merit, support the proposal over on Forums.

:o hold my hands up to that!! damn my lack of not checking my own threads before putting forth an argument :D

;)

The search sees all.

I'm just lucky it only goes back 500 posts :D

Seriously though, I reckon finding a DS now will be very difficult :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Id certainly support the split of the forum, but Id suggest that we redirect all the wanted ads to the adverts.ie forum.

It may not have the through put right now, but if you build it, they will come....

the bargin alerts forum is the BA forum.

In fact, is it possible to put in a link as a sub forum that links directly to the wanted forum of adverts.ie?

Spot on!

I don't see why there can't be a link (the adverts subcategories are already in the drop down menu-if you get me).

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ah relax.

No one accused you of that at all, (even though you did ;))
    I enjoyed that :D

Theres now 2 [req] digital photo frame threads & theres only two other threads seperating them, people arent even checking the forum, they're just throwing around requests.
    Theres also a poster looking for someone in Cork to pick up a toy for here & she'll pay for postage. This shouldnt be in BA http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199730

Have mods decided if anything is to be done?

(Don't know how to make link smaller as roundymooney does, sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads one thing about adverts i've noticed is that I can unsibscribe from threads, it seems to be generating an error!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is after all the crazy season so things will probably settle down a bit in a couple of weeks.

Personally I wouldnt want to see the forum split as I view the "req" threads as often as the ordinary bargains and Im sure Im not the only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Agree with Muffler. It it'd be a knee-jerk reaction to do this over Christmas where obviously the number of Request threads would go up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Id certainly support the split of the forum, but Id suggest that we redirect all the wanted ads to the adverts.ie forum.

It may not have the through put right now, but if you build it, they will come....

the bargin alerts forum is the BA forum.

In fact, is it possible to put in a link as a sub forum that links directly to the wanted forum of adverts.ie?

Im sure im not the only one who has adverts.ie blocked in work, and only dial up at home, so i would never look at it there. I think its fine where it is, maybe just the time of year but as another poster said i look in the [req] threads as much as the BA ones.

One mans request is another mans bargain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I really think BA needs a cleanup!
    This thread just takes the biscuit and then it goes completely off topic... Beyond a joke!
    WTF

Call me what you like but pointing out a new Lidl opening and then asking does anyone know any deals! If the poster had posted deals I would have thought great some bargains but they did not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I also agree with muffler as I would check the [req] quite regulary to see if someone has come up with a bargain, even though I don't need it and shouldn't buy it yet I do:rolleyes: actually split the feckers it will save me money. just remember one man rubbish is another man's gold (well except for garfield)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I think the DS and Wii threads aren't bargain requests, they're specific requests where people don't care how much they are, they just NEED one.

If someone's looking for a BARGAIN on something that is readily available I think it has more merit than someone looking for something that's not available at any price...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just to clarify, I too look at all the [REQ] threads, but a lot of them are just asking for items and there's no real effort on behalf of the OP to find prices.

An example of a thread I'd find ideal would be:

I'm looking for item X. Shop 1 is selling it for prize A, Shop 2 is selling it for price B, Shop 3 is selling it for price C. Has anyone come across any place cheaper?

This, "I need a....." rubbish does nothing for the forum./

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

muffler wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt want to see the forum split as I view the "req" threads as often as the ordinary bargains and Im sure Im not the only one

im not sure what the difference would be by moving one type to another forum?

but, im sure the mods in there will sort it out, but if the forum is specifically for one sort of thing (and to be honest, i thought it was specifically for alerting other people to bargains) then the rest of the stuff should go somewhere else.

I dont see it as a huge hassle to have BA in one forum, and requests etc in another, but thats me. perhaps the forum mods should ask the users in there what they think and get an idea what may be a runner, if anything.
    It may be that nothing should change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sully wrote: »

I was actually looking for a bragain and not just a location...

I would have thought this is what ever one would be looking for.

The only differecne between what you posted and other people posted was the lack of {req}. I dont see the harm in it but it would be better if you put the request bit in

Advertisement