Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Sat Nav

Options
  • 08-12-2007 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at putting a couple in the vans for the new year. Which would you gentle readers recommend? Driving will be the island of Ireland, if that matters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'm looking at putting a couple in the vans for the new year. Which would you gentle readers recommend? Driving will be the island of Ireland, if that matters.

Garmin is the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Have to agree with Mick
    Garmin and TomTom are about the best!
    Ive used the Garmin and its EXCELLENT - especially with the bluetooth for the auld phone!
    Seen the TomTom in action and doesnt seem as good - the display is much clearer and easier to read on the Garmin! And for navigating the menu's Garmin wins again!!
    Its a bit like compairing Nokia to other phones a few years ago for user friendliness - if thats a word - ya know what i mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oh, and don't forget the HALF PRICE SALE at some place in Dublin. Dixons, or some crap. May be worth your while getting them cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I tested both Garmin & TomTom and opted for the TomTom One. Both as good as each other. Whatever your preference is

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Great advice chaps - given that opinion is split it'll probably be down to price.

Where's the sale?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I think its Halfords .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Was just in Halfords, everyone is crowding around the GPS section, and some of the popular ones are sold out. However, the sale price isn't great on some models. The good ones are still dear. For example the Garmin 650T is €459.99 in Halfords, it's €299.99 on Komplett.ie.
    I'd recommend the Garmin Nuvi 250, it has European maps, and while the discounted price in Halfords is not bad at €239, it can be got from pixmania for €169, which is fantastic value. Granted it doesn't have bluetooth for the phone and all that, but the cheapest one with all the extras is nearly double that. All you need is for it to find where you're going!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

We bought a Garmin as a promo for cars, i think it's was around >500€... And it was excellent, bluetooth included and touch screen... Would higly reccomend

Edit: It was puchased in Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ecocabbie

just stumbled upon this thread, very handy... forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage of the Sat Nav being bluetooth enabled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

You can connect your phone to your GPS and make and recieve phone calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Ecocabbie wrote: »
    just stumbled upon this thread, very handy... forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage of the Sat Nav being bluetooth enabled?

Penalty Points, or rather, no penalty points.

What else on your person is bluetooth enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ecocabbie wrote: »

With Bluetooth, you can communicate between your mobile phone and the GPS. So for instance on the TomTom GO 720 (and other makes/models), this allows you to use the GPS as a full hands-free kit - taking and making calls, receiving texts on the GPS screen (which it can then read to you), etc.

Some models may also allow you to use bluetooth to broadcast the GPS audio to your car stereo (assuming it has bluetooth too).

In some countries, it be used to communicate with your phone to receive traffic updates - but this service isn't available in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Portables are ok but never as well featured as a fixed unit.

For the best of both worlds this one is the bizz...if you can fit it in your dash.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/eu/en/avn/AVN2227P_overviews.html

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

phutyle wrote: »
    Some models may also allow you to use bluetooth to broadcast the GPS audio to your car stereo (assuming it has bluetooth too).

Other models have a FM transmitter that works like the iPod transmitters so you hear the satnav instructions and your phone calls over the radio speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ecocabbie

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Biro wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Garmin Nuvi 250, it has European maps, and while the discounted price in Halfords is not bad at €239, it can be got from pixmania for €169,

I was looking at this on pixmania, was also looking at Nuvi 250 W which is €222, am I right in saying youd be paying €50 extra for an extra inch of screen??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Keith C wrote: »
    I was looking at this on pixmania, was also looking at Nuvi 250 W which is €222, am I right in saying youd be paying €50 extra for an extra inch of screen??
    Pretty much. Although you could buy this bundle and you get a mobile phone for only €1!

Keith C wrote: »

believe me, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Portables are ok but never as well featured as a fixed unit.

For the best of both worlds this one is the bizz...if you can fit it in your dash.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/eu/en/avn/AVN2227P_overviews.html

Will these only fit in double-din dashes??

Saucy price I'd say??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

testicle wrote: »
    believe me, it's worth it.

The slightly bigger screen is nice to have alright, but to be honest, I find the 250 screen fine as it is, and it fits neatly in my pocket also! More so than the wider screened ones do. Something to ponder over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Make sure that the database in the Sat Nav is up to date. Last thing you want to do is buy one that has been in the shop for a couple of months with an outdated database. Garmin and Tom Tom will charge for an updated one also

Make sure that the database in the Sat Nav is up to date. Last thing you want to do is buy one that has been in the shop for a couple of months with an outdated database. Garmin and Tom Tom will charge for an updated one also

Garmin won't if you buy the device after a newer version has been released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

cantdecide wrote: »
    Will these only fit in double-din dashes??

Saucy price I'd say??

Depends on the model of car, a lot of cars that look single din only also take double dins.

In around €1,200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have a route 66 one. I don't think it has all the blue tooth stuff, but it can find anywhere, I mean anywhere. I surf, so I just name a beach and the thing will bring me there. When I am driving through the remotest places in the midlands or the West it knows the townlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

+1 for route 66 http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=1&ssec=0&prodid=3403

it has no fancy connectivity options, but the biggest screen and the best software in the business. If all you want to do is navigate ..get that.

It's also amazingly quick a re- calculating. Take a wrong turn (on purpose), ignore the warning to turn around and within 50 meters you'll have a new route calculated and displayed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

the only updates you have to buy with TomTom are the maps and they are not that often. I got my TT in the summer and already the operating s/w has been updated twice foc

Advertisement