Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing the right dog

Options
  • 08-12-2007 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I remember a while back I came across a website that would ask you specific questions on your life, etc and would come up with suitable receommendations of dogs to suit your lifestyle.

I can't seem to find it anymore, so just wondering if anyone had a link to such a site. I've come across one for Australia but the breeds are probably not available in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

there's www.dogbreedinfo.com

They do a search based on exercise/grooming/experience. It's an okay all around search, but do check into specifc breeds, read up on temperment, etc.

You can then go to http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=32 . This is the Irish Kennel Club Breeds Club contact list. You can see if the particular breed you are interested in has a base in Ireland, and ring the head of the club for further information on breeders. Some may have very long waiting lists, or perhaps the breeders are only in England.

Before you 100% decide on a breed, check up on all the information you can for it. Sometimes American breed info and English breed info can vary greatly (ex: In the states on some breeds they crop the ears, but this is not allowed in Europe). http://dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/back_issues.html - This is an English dog magazine. Every month they do in depth profiles on certain breeds called Fido Facts. You can see if they have details on the breed you want from an old issue and order on this website.

Good luck - I'm glad you're trying to research the breed that is right for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

there this one as well http://www.petplanet.co.uk/select_a_breed.asp

If your looking for a dog, you should try the rescues and pounds as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Personally, I wouldn't go near any of these questionaires, I recently did one, and just to see what they would recommend, I lied for all of the entries. I said I was over sixty, in poor health living in an inner-city flat, with little or no time to give to training / exercise, they recommended a Dobermann .... About the most unsuitable dog in that situation!!! Think yourself, what dogs do you like, then ask around, chat to friends and breeders, talk to the vet, consider your own circumstanced and then make an informed decision. Ask people on this forum what they think, Im sure between everyone, most breeds should be represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

In a way it's a good idea, a collie needs plenty of mental stimulation and exercise while a greyhound contrary to what most folks think need exercised obviously but can fit in to a sedentary household, I say that as my mother in law has a rescued grey, she is undemanding loves her walks but is just as much at home lounging on the settee, a more active demanding dog wold not have suited her lifestyle.
    Though folks think it odd she chose a grey and always ask how many races it has won :cool:
    PS she is also great with cats, the grey not the mother in law.:cool:
    In an ideal world there should be the right dog for the situation and see nothing wrong with trying to match owner to dog.
    seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

If you are unsure what breed of dog would suit you best, you could become a fosterer for a local rescue centre for a few months. That way, you could try fostering different breeds until you find one that suits your lifestyle best. A foster looks after dogs that have a rescue space / very good chance of being re-homes, but need a temporary home while waiting for their new home. The dogs in need of foster are often puppies, as their immune systems aren't as strong and they would get sick very quickly if left in the pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

May I just repeat for the n-th time that breed has very little do with behaviour, contrary to what all those flowery breed descriptions make you think.

A breed standard is very much about optics, defining the look and appearance of the breed and not about character.

A very broad and general behavioural description of your future dog may be derived from its type (ie, hunter / herder / sighthound / guard dog)

But most of it is down to the individual character of the dog, how it was raised and how it is being trained and kept.

And at the end of the day ...they're all just dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I want to make sure that the dog is suitable to the situation eg. A labrador is one I would stay away from as we live in a housing estate and 2 small boys (7&5). We had plenty dogs when we were kids ranging from jack russel to mongrels, german shepherd, labrador also in a small garden in housing estate.

The lab we had to get rid of as we were very young but we had the german when we were teenagers so he got plenty excercise daily with us.

A lot can depend on the kids age too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Why are you basing your opinion on Labradors on one individual dog? Labradors and Labrador crosses are the majority of the Guide Dogs and that is for a reason, they are good friendly dogs.

Advertisement