Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV ad driving me crazy...what does she say?!

• 08-12-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

That ad for domestic abuse is driving me crazy...the one "Not infront of the kids". It's on radio too, which is where I hear it more.

Anyway, the guy comes home and asks for a beer.

What the hell does the girl say to him then? "When did ya last let off?" or something? Somebody please translate! It's been doing my head in for months!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"What did your last slave die of"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Cheeky sow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I thought it was obvious she says slave...

That ad (although it's for a decent cause and all) is dead annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"What did your last slave die of?" is a very 80s phrase - maybe the OP is too young to remember.

I find that ad absolutely CHILLING. Very powerful and affecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I thought she said "Slave" but I heard it again and I think she actually says "Maid" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Trine wrote: »
    ..."When did ya last let off?" ...
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pigman II wrote: »
    Cheeky sow.

Yeah, I'd a slapped that cheeky streak right out of here before she got to the next line. Know your place women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

that ad does my head in.

I'd beat the creators of it, their wives, and any other relatives in the area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if god didn't want us to beat women, he wouldn';t have made it feel so good.
    it's simple science people.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

There's another one on the radio for a childrens charity. I've heard it loads of times and I'm still not sure of the name. I'm guessing it's called 'Child Fund' because that sounds most likely but the way the fella pronounces it, it sounds like 'Child Hunt' which would make it a completely different type of organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

seanabc wrote: »
    There's another one on the radio for a childrens charity. I've heard it loads of times and I'm still not sure of the name. I'm guessing it's called 'Child Fund' because that sounds most likely but the way the fella pronounces it, it sounds like 'Child Hunt' which would make it a completely different type of organisation.

I had to hear that ad about 20 time before I realised what he was actually saying. It sounded like he was saying "Child cunt" :eek:

I had to hear that ad about 20 time before I realised what he was actually saying. It sounded like he was saying "Child ****"

It does! He says it several times during the ad and each time it sounds the same. You'd wonder how that wasn't picked up on when the ad was being made. I'm guessing the voice on the ad is of some director or boss of Child Fund and everyone is afraid to say anything. To his face anyway!

That ad for domestic abuse is driving me crazy...the one "Not infront of the kids". It's on radio too, which is where I hear it more.

Anyway, the guy comes home and asks for a beer.

I listen to the radio more than the telly. What I don't like about that ad is the strong impression that the man is the cause of the problem here.

The particular example is of a man coming home from work, tired and stressed. It all starts off politely; "hello dear" etc. The man asks the woman for a beer and she makes a sarcastic comment. He gets angry and then she starts acting like a victim and being concerned for the children.

I think it's a more appropriate ad for marraige counselling than domestic abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

That ad does my head in too, but I think it's more to do with the fact that I think the 'girl' in the ad is actually voiced by an adult female actress with the voice pitch-shifted.

More annoying though, is the Oxfam "Don't give junk this Christmas" campaign. Who wrote that awful tune?

More annoying though, is the Oxfam "Don't give junk this Christmas" campaign. Who wrote that awful tune?

I have to admit to liking that one. It's one of those tunes that burrows into your head and lives there. It's up there with 'Bada ba ba ba...I'm lovin' it'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I know domestic violence has to be highlighted, but that ad has been done to death at this stage.

Its on every year, on every radio station 24/7 and its doing my head in:(

And may i say its sexiest as well, implying its only men that do it...how about women who attack there spouses there's such a thing as battered husbands too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

philstar wrote: »
    how about women who attack there spouses there's such a thing as battered husbands too.
    It does indeed happen. Pity those who are highlighting it in this country (Amen, National Men's Council of Ireland, John Waters) are a bunch of misogynistic freaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I really think there should be an ad run at the same frequency addressing domestic violence towards men.
    It's equally as important and is never spoken about, which is sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Is this type of ad effective at all? I'm a bit sceptical tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

This ad makes me laugh everytime!!!!
    Not that domestic abuse is funny , but rather kids and the way they can mimmick adults.

• Advertisement

I really think there should be an ad run at the same frequency addressing domestic violence towards men.

It's equally as important and is never spoken about, which is sad.

While I agree that this is a problem I think it would be a little bit like political correctness gone bonkers to put it on equal terms with domestic violence against women. There is no way that it could be as common. It should be addressed in some way but a 1:1 ratio would be well out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Anytime they use kids in ads they all speak in these really annoying midatlantic accents.Can they use some normal kids for a change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

seanabc wrote: »
    While I agree that this is a problem I think it would be a little bit like political correctness gone bonkers to put it on equal terms with domestic violence against women. There is no way that it could be as common. It should be addressed in some way but a 1:1 ratio would be well out of proportion.

From Amen, a charity opposing domestic abuse against men:
    15% of women and 6% of men suffer severe domestic abuse
    29% of women and 26% of men suffer domestic abuse when severe and
    minor abuse are combined
    13% of women and 13% of men suffer physical abuse
    29% of women (1 in 3) and only 5% of men (1 in 20) report to the Gardaí
    The MRCS report (2001), based on a survey of 530 clients, found that, where domestic violence occurs, mutual violence accounts for 33% of cases, female perpetrated violence accounts for 41% and male perpetrated violence for 26%.
    Similarly, the ACCORD research (2003), based on a survey of 1500 clients, found that women were perpetrators in 30% of domestic violence cases, men were perpetrators in 23% of cases and mutual violence accounted for 48%. An interesting feature of this study, which involved couples attending counseling, was that 84% of women and 74% of men agreed with their partner’s response to this question, suggesting that the self-reported prevalence is quite reliable.

While not quite 1:1, its not far off.

Here's the website: http://www.amen.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

That ad gives me chills its so powerful

The way the shot goes to the mother and she has tears in her eyes and shes shivering with shock

amazing

Advertisement