Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfirend Planning To Run Her First 1/2-Marathon...

• 08-12-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I would like to get a gift of a book related to running/marathon running for my girlfriend who is hoping to do a half-marathon next year. I know absolutely nothing on the subject and was hoping maybe to get some recommendations here. Ideally I'd like to get a book which is not too formal so may personal accounts of marathon running along with useful practical information on training regimes etc.

Can anyone help me out here and recommend such a book which you have read and enjoyed? Any other advice on running-related gifts!

Many thanks,
    jAH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Hi there,
    These are some books that I have bought in the past that my wife also likes.

Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running
    by Amby Burfoot

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David A. Whitsett, Forrest A. Dolgener, and Tanjala Jo Kole

Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-free Running
    by Danny Dreyer & Katherine Dreyer

The first two are good intros and not overly technical. Chi Running is an excellent book but the technique takes a bit of getting used to.

For inspirational reading you could get Paula Radcliffe's or Catherina McKiernan's biographies.

You could get a running watch or the Nike+ thing for the Ipod (for measuring distances run).
    I see you are in Cork call in to John Buckleys - he has a super running shop and is incredibly helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

hi tenandtracer

many thanks for all your tips, those books look good and should be easy enough to find hopefully. Yep I'm based in Cork city, can you tell me whereabouts John Buckley's shop is located?

cheers,
    jAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Just across the river from the Opera House on Camden Quay
    http://www.johnbuckleysports.com/contact_us/

Today is a proud day, a Dubliner directing a Corkonian in their own city. I cannot wait to tell my Cork mother-in-law!!:D

:)

thanks tenandtracer I know the shop you're talking about now.

and for the record I'm not a Corkonian but a Galwegian who ended up living down here for the past few years!

many thanks again,
    jAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

good book suggestions from tenandtracer. I haven't actually read the non-runners marathon book myself but a lot of people have given it good reviews. A few others that I have enjoyed include
    First marathons: Personal encounters with the 26.2 mile monster
    Marathon: the ultimate training guide - Hal Higdon.
    Another one that I haven't read but that does contain half marathon info is
    The marathon and Half Marathon: A training Guide but Graeme Hilditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

My wife ran for a while and found the book "Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running" somewhat helpful. A touch Western-Atlantic in its outlook but covers a whole range of stuff in very accessible language and layout. After a couple of years she finally decided running wasn't her thing (don't think it was the book tho') and swims like a fish instead.

Personally I found Bruce Tulloh's book "running is easy" better - its a pretty good to help people plan for longer distances and make appropriate lifestyle adjustments.

If she ever becomes a running anorak you have to get her 'Lore of Running' - jam packed with loads and loads of running history, training advice, injury avoidance and management. It's a bit intimidating if you're not enthusiastic about reading about running (nearly 1,000 pages).

Other gifts of use: gloves, hat, entry in the Paris Half Marathon (http://www.parismarathon.com/semi/2008/us/index.html) with flights and hotel. Might cost a bit more than a book, but if you really love her...

thanks for all the tips guys. after looking at reviews on the various titles I think I will probably go with Marathon: The Ultimate Training & Racing Guide by Hal Higdon. I was going to go with The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer at first but after reading some reviews it looks to be a bit on the americanised preachy side.

thanks again,
    jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The HH book is very good, it's the first marathon book that I bought and it's got lots of really good information as well as personal stories and experiences. It also makes the whole marathon thing seem very achievable (which of course it is!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Know a lot of runners who've read a lot of running books and the consensus would be that the Bob Glover book is the best 'first' book
    Forget the full name but it's something like the Bob Glover Competetive Runners Handbook. I got mine in Easons (O'Connell Street, Dublin).

Re other gifts - a lot of the running clothes are in styles and colours that girls like (!) and you might find that the wife goes for a run just because she wants to put on her running gear - so nice looking gear will put you in the good books present wise. Some Champion sports have a specific running section (in Dublin (Grafton Street) anyway). Otherwise JB is the place in Cork.

Advertisement