Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back Window Wiper?

Options
  • 08-12-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I am going for my full licence test next Friday and I am going to do it in my car. The back window wiper hasn't worked since I bought the car. I just read the "final checks for your driving test" the RSA send out and it doesnt mention that this would need to be fixed, although an instructor told me that it needed to work if it was on the car, but if it wasnt there it wouldnt be a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would dispute what your instructor says. There is no legal requirement to have a working rear wiper.

(In the NCT only the front wiper/wipers is/are checked.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Youll get away with it. They wont check it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

they wont check, but if it rains you might get a mark for not using the controls propperly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I am going for my full licence test next Friday and I am going to do it in my car. The back window wiper hasn't worked since I bought the car. I just read the "final checks for your driving test" the RSA send out and it doesnt mention that this would need to be fixed, although an instructor told me that it needed to work if it was on the car, but if it wasnt there it wouldnt be a problem?

That is an accessory doesnt have to work.

If your that worried take the wiper arm off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Thanks for the advise guys. But it looks like you's are only people saying that it wont be a problem. If I could take it off the car for the test I would be happy but I am not sure how to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Thanks for the advise guys. But it looks like you's are only people saying that it wont be a problem. If I could take it off the car for the test I would be happy but I am not sure how to do this.

Seriously i wouldnt be worrying, did the test last friday and mine is also knackered, you should only be concerned with the front ones. Sure allot of car/vans dont have rear wipers or a need for them, simply cos they cant see out the back window anyway. Unless it's pelting down down rain and then you cant see out your back window when reversing, the tester wont notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Be sure the back window is clean. After that, don't worry about it. It's not a requirement.

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Unless it's pelting down down rain and then you cant see out your back window when reversing, the tester wont notice.
    99% of saloon cars don't have a rear wiper.

How do their drivers manage when "it's pelting down with rain"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

LOL, I own a 01 skoda octavia 1.6 and am also doing the L driver thing. Not having a back window is a HUGE pain in the arse if you learned to drive in a car with one.

But you get used to using the wing mirrors more.

Just dropped into a garage there on my lunch. They tried to replace the wiper first but didn't have the right one. I asked were I could get it fixed and they said only down the Ford garage itself. At this time, I dont have the time or money to go too one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

cance wrote: »
    LOL, I own a 01 skoda octavia 1.6 and am also doing the L driver thing. Not having a back window is a HUGE pain in the arse if you learned to drive in a car with one.

But you get used to using the wing mirrors more.

Now it may have a small back window but to say the octavia has none is a bit harsh. I have an 06 and passed my test in it. I find no rear visibility problems with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Eh i dont know! You tell me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just dropped into a garage there on my lunch. They tried to replace the wiper first but didn't have the right one. I asked were I could get it fixed and they said only down the Ford garage itself. At this time, I dont have the time or money to go too one.

Is your rear demister working well? I had problems with my wiper before and it turned out the electrical contacts in my boot just needed cleaning.

cance wrote: »
    Not having a back window is a HUGE pain in the arse if you learned to drive in a car with one
    givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Eh i dont know! You tell me!!
    My point being that those of us who have never had a car with a rear wiper can reverse perfectly without one.

Stark wrote: »
    Is your rear demister working well? I had problems with my wiper before and it turned out the electrical contacts in my boot just needed cleaning.

The rear demister is working fine. I was speaking my friend who was the previous owner last night and she told me that she had tried to get it fixed too but it was completely blown out. She said that it would have been very expensive to get the whole system rewired and refitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Now it may have a small back window but to say the octavia has none is a bit harsh. I have an 06 and passed my test in it. I find no rear visibility problems with it

i meant wiper, no back wiper.

the little window warmer just doesnt clear it as fast as a wiper would.

Advertisement