Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room scheme - Question

Options
  • 08-12-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

what way does this work?
    i was always under the impression that if you went over the annual allowance you then had to pay tax on the entire amount but i was speaking to someone during the week and they said if you go over the allowance you only pay tax on the rent collected after the allowance.
    could somebody clear that up please?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

You are right, you pay tax on the whole amount. Allowance went up in the budget though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

thanks Sarah.
    yeah,i seen that it went up in the Budget allright......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ooter- the other thing to be aware of is that its total income that is counted- that is rent+ any contributions towards billshares of any nature. So- if you have a joint food kitty and share the ESB, Gas, NTL/Chorus, Internet, Contents insurance, TV licence etc- the whole lot is counted- not just the rental income for the room. The "tenant" is also allowed to claim rent relief- and could potentially be asked to prove the amount they claim (which they can do retrospectively after they have left the house) so there is no point in only declaring part of the income.

S.

Advertisement