Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

configuring media center extender over bridged wireless network?

• 08-12-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Alright heres the story.

1. Downstairs I have my internet cable connection connected to netgear wireless G router. default gateway is 192.168.1.1
    2. I have my 360 hardwired to this over ethernet - can connect to live no problem, open NAT all works fine.
    3. 2nd floor of house I have a linsksys WRT router running custom firmware to allow it to act as a range extender in bridge mode - default gateway 192.168.69.1
    4. PC 3rd floor running vista connects to 2nd floor router (needed to extend the network)
    5. when i try setup media centre extender my vista 3rd floor PC cannot see the 360. It can however connect to the router the 360 is connected to via 192.168.1.1 (even tho it is on the extended networks gateway)

Is this because I have the network bridged? Is there anyway to get around this?

I have managed to set it up if i connect the PC directly to the router wirelessly that the 360 is connected to but the signal strength is too weak to even allow music streaming or even a stable connection. I presumed extending the network in this way would solve the problem (it did actually solve my general network problems of internet connection dropping due to range)

Anyone have any ideas?

cheers,

sul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

From my limited knowledge of networking this should be working.

Why it may not work. Here is my 2 cents.

The linksys is being used as a repeater. Not sure about bridge mode but you know better. I assume it is bridging to router. But they are not in the same IP range. If you can access the net on Vista machine and you have only one real router/modem (One on 360) then everything is obviously on the same network.

Have you allowed all the wireless clients view each other over the network. It is an option on the eircom routers and must be there on netgear somewhere. I have 2 PC's and the 360 connected via wireless and they cannot view each other over network but I can see the 360 wireless connector (a wireless print server acting as a bridge) from anywhere but not the 360. The bridge needs to be accessable as yours does for security but not the hardware connected to it. Search for the setting on the router to allow all clients view each other over the wireless network.

Any network dude worth his salt will eat me up at this point and probably tell you this is all wrong. There are a few of these on the tech forum. But as I said it is just my 2 cents.

Finally try connecting via Windows Media player 11 under media sharing. Saw this on a few forums but never bothered to try it myself.

Advertisement