Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil change

Options
  • 08-12-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I changed the oil in my 99 Renault Master 2.5diesel van last weekend..

I drained out the old oil, installed a new oil filter and put in 5 liters of oil. I'm just wondering should I put more oil in as the the low oil indicator lites up on the dash now and again since just depending on where I park..

Also when I take the dipstik out (think thats what its called) wipe it clean then put it back in and take it out the oil is a bit black at the bottom and doesn't apper to be up the minimum oil level on it???

Is this wrong.. I bought more oil yesterday but just want some advise before I put more into the engine...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your instruction booklet that came with the van (alternatively your friendly dealer) should tell you exactly how much oil your engine needs when changing, including filter.

Sounds like it's not enough at the moment.
    But as having too much oil in there is just as bad as not enough, try to get the right figure before you fill any more in ...and don't drive it as it is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

well the book that came with the van says 6.5 litres so should I put in another 1.5 litres? I have been driving the van all week.

sometimes the low oil indicator comes on and then goes after a min or two.... Most of the time it doesn't come on apart from a few seconds when I put the key in the igination turn it and wait for the plugs to heat up...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

well if the book says 6.5 then put in 6.5 :rolleyes:

If you want to be absolutely sure, put in 0.5 liter, wait 10 mins, check the dipstick and then repeat as necessary until the dipstick is at its top mark.

You do know which mark is which? If not, just pour in the missing 1.5 liters.

Yes I know what mark is which. The bottom mark is the min oil level and the top mark is the max oil level..

Just wanted to be sure thats all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

When you do an oil change, you drain out the old oil, then top it up to the max marker on the dipstick. However when you start the engine and leave it running for a minute and then turn the engine off, the oil level will drop off considerably as it gets pushed around the engine, soaks in the oil filter, clings to the parts etc. What I do then is let the engine sit for 20 minutes while im cleaning up, enough time for the oil to drain to the sump, and then I do my final top up. The oil level should be at the max on the dip stick when the engine has not been running for a while.

• Advertisement

Ok so would I be safe adding in another 1.5L of oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Just add .5 litres....check the level, add more....check the level....

DON'T overfill it. A little at a time is all you need.

Many people will aim to have the oil level halfway between minimum and maximum when they're done.

ok cheers for that lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

No fear it is leaking from the oil filter or the sump plug?

god dont think so. I used a filter wrench to take off and put the oil filter back on very tightly... Also used a vice grips tightend as tight as possible around the sump plug to take it off and put it back on tightly as possible.. So definetly dont think there is any oil leaking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Be careful you don't overtighten things as well. You should dip your finger in the old oil and run it around the rim of the new filter before you put it on, that helps the seal. The filter only needs about half a turn beyond what you can tighten it to by hand. Over-tightening the sump plug could damage the threads, so don't go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

god dont think so. I used a filter wrench to take off and put the oil filter back on very tightly... Also used a vice grips tightend as tight as possible around the sump plug to take it off and put it back on tightly as possible.. So definetly dont think there is any oil leaking...
    Looks like you are the kind of guy who has a full range of hammers. :rolleyes: Why are you doing this kind of thing? If you haven't a clue, get someone who knows what they're doing.

Not your ornery onager

well I do no the difference between thight and overthightening... I did to metal work for five years and do shop fitting for a living so guess I do have a full range of hammers....

Anyhow was told how to do the job, saves paying a mechanic... Just wondering about the oil level thats all..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyhow was told how to do the job, saves paying a mechanic... Just wondering about the oil level thats all..
    Whoever told you obviously didn't tell you very well i.e. use the amount of oil recommended in the manual.

And if you see the oil light coming on, and the level on the dipstick is at minimum..... well, it's not rocket science to know what to do next!

Not your ornery onager

ok well it's obvious to add more in I was just trying to be sure that's all as it's the first time I have done this...

Advertisement