Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Justify buying a diesel

Options
  • 08-12-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi every one.

I Drive 360 miles aweek does this justify buying a diesel car. and if it does,t what kind of miles would.

Thanks

mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes but wait until July 1st if you are buying a new one (the new rates will means some big savings on the annual motor tax for diesels).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Dont you mean VRT Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont you mean VRT Mike.

Assumign the op is buying new then Motor tax will be co2 based aswell.

There really isnt any mileage to have to be doing to "justify" a diesel. Assuming your not after a performance car diesel is pretty much the best way to go. It's often cheaper to buy diesel and will give better mpg. Plus now small diesels will generally be cheaper to tax than similar sized petrols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Under the new VRT scheme we will see many diesels working out to be cheaper to buy than their petrol equivalents, in a lower road tax braket, so it doesn't matter if you do 5 or 50,000 miles a year, a diesel will be cheaper. That's all the justification you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder if this will be the kick in the arse Universal Honda needed to finally start selling the 2.2 iCTDI Civic here? Its only 135g/km co2, putting it in the 16% VRT band and the €150 tax band.

*want*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Stephen wrote: »
    I wonder if this will be the kick in the arse Universal Honda needed to finally start selling the 2.2 iCTDI Civic here? Its only 135g/km co2, putting it in the 16% VRT band and the €150 tax band.

*want*

I must look at importing one come July :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I had a 1.4 Rover, putting up 400 miles a week

I bought a 320d, I put up the same miles, spend less on fuel and have a much more comfortable ride, with plenty more power available when needed.

No regrets, even paying the extra motor tax/insurance, I reckon i'm saving when you add up total costs over a year

I wonder if larger engined diesel sales will stall for the next 6 months?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I changed to a diesel car in 2003. Haven't look back. Best move I ever made. Both myself and the missus drive oil burners. She wouldn't do the same milage as me but we are definitely saving money in the long run with two diesels rather than 2 petrol cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

mike65 wrote: »
    I wonder if larger engined diesel sales will stall for the next 6 months?

Mike.

I've ordered a 2.4 litre diesel, (0-60 7.9s so performance isn't an issue), as I've put down a €1k deposit I'll go ahead, but there would only be a 2% VRT difference, plus I'll have the new car for a full year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

smcgiff wrote: »
    plus I'll have the new car for a full year.
    That's a very Irish way of looking at it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's a very Irish way of looking at it.;)

It is, and I don't understand it for the life of me. The year is just a number on a plate on the front and back of a car, it means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Price of diesel will likely go up with the growth in Diesel car sales due to the drop in VRT.

You'll start to eventually see a parity of price per mile between petrol and diesel.

The reason this hasn't happened at the moment is due to high cost of buying a diesel car in the first place. Although this isn't logically a good reason not to buy a diesel considering you'll save in the long run, its still putting people off.

Derv was up to 10c per litre more about 2 years back, it was a phase but none the less we've been there already.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Niall1234 wrote: »
    You'll start to eventually see a parity of price per mile between petrol and diesel.

Diesel is cheaper to refine, and it is a good bit cheaper in most EU countries where there are far more diesel cars than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

maidhc wrote: »
    Diesel is cheaper to refine, and it is a good bit cheaper in most EU countries where there are far more diesel cars than here.

Its cheaper than petrol alright, cheapest i could find in holland was in Delft, 1.10 a litre, whereas its 1.48 a litre for petrol.

Road Tax on a 1.9TDI is savage high though, 1075 for the year so its offest really against it.

Germany was 1.27 a litre for Diesel when i was there on Satuday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For those of you worried about performance sluggish diesels are a thing of the past. Modern diesel engines are the way to go for fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions.
    And for the ones who're going to argue hybrids : put a prius against let's say a 1.4 to 1.6 modern turbo diesel and see who burns less juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

craichoe wrote: »
    Road Tax on a 1.9TDI is savage high though, 1075 for the year so its offest really against it.

Dunno about that rate for motor tax? I pay €511 p@ on my 1.9tdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Moanin wrote: »
    Dunno about that rate for motor tax? I pay €511 p@ on my 1.9tdi

Yeh, you pay 511 for Irish Road Tax
    The Dutch calculate it based on engine type and vehicle weight.

It works out at 1075 for the year on a 1.9 TDI

Advertisement