Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which cpu of these 2?

Options
  • 08-12-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hello all
    im building a small server from parts laying around at home,
    ive got 2 motherboards and cpu's a pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz and a sempron +3400

which of the 2 would be faster and just by how much?(i.e a little or a lot!)
    thanks in advance sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

Pentium but not by much.....tiny bit of performance imcrease,isnt worth the heat/noise they give off though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're both so close it doesn't matter which one you use....either can be faster then the other depending on what you'd use to bench them so I wouldn't worry about it. The Pentium 4 probably has better resale value...so use the Sempron :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the p4 is miles better. it has 2 or 4 times the l2 cache of them sempron. but as said above, it will run alot hotter. If its just for a simple home server to stream media and the likes i would go for the p4.

Advertisement