Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of potato to use???

• 08-12-2007 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Can anyone tell me the best type of potato to use for mashed poatoes? Nothing fancy, just potato, milk, butter and salt!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hudie mcmenamin

You should use a potato that is floury, not waxy (which are better for salads). Floury potatoes include: Roosters, Records, Oilean, Maris Pipers, and there are probably lots of others. Also, steaming them is often better than boiling them, as they won't get so wet. If you do boil 'em, make sure you dry em off a bit before mashing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roosters are my favourite, and hudie's right about steaming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Thanks a million! Ill give it a go with Roosters tomorrow...practice run for Christmas dinner!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, I only use Roosters, after a lot of trial and error. I wish I'd a steamer too, boiling them is a bit crap, but it does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Queens or Kerrs Pinks are good floury potatoes.

There used to be many types of potato, each suited to different cooking methods - the Piper for chips, the Queens for boiling, Records for roast, the Golden Wonder....mmmm Golden Wonder, the best tasting spud of the lot, but low yield per acre means it's not much grown now.

The Rooster is a very popular potato with shops because it is relatively cheap for them to buy. Did you know, it is a very high yield potato first developed in Carlow?

I hate the "white potato" label you see now in supermarkets. I mean, wtf is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I hate the "white potato" label you see now in supermarkets. I mean, wtf is it?

I hate that! My flatmate calls me a potato snob because I give out to her for buying them. They're just some kind of generic, high yield, poor quality crap. Eugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Faith wrote: »
    potato snob

:D Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Thanks everybody for replying...appreciate it!

Advertisement