Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Pub in Ongar

Options
  • 08-12-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

First of all - I've lived in and around Ongar village for about a year now and I very nearly know nobody in the area so what a great forum! There's a bunch of information here about buses and trains etc. that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Anyway this leads to my question which is does anyone know what the deal is with that pub in Ongar village which faces the off-license and Dunnes? Not that I know anyone around here to go to the pub with anyway but I always wonder why it has never opened when I'm walking up to Dunnes or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The rumour doing the rounds was that whoever owns it was asking a too high rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

--

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Go on Ciaran, you can do it! :D

Welcome to the forum bracelets, I hope you'll stick around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bracelets

Ah I see, pretty strange, thanks ciaran.

+ thanks zaph!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

bracelets wrote: »
    Ah I see, pretty strange, thanks ciaran.

+ thanks zaph!

In truth its not, it would be financial suicide to operate it as a pub. Most people in Ongar seem to be from abroad. You hardly ever see foreign customers in the pubs around here, and anyone in Ongar who wants a local prob heads to the Clonsilla or Paddock. Soon you would end up attracting scobes from Huntstown who are maybe barred from the Clonsilla etc. I suppose you could try bring in foreign customers by showing live sport from their homeland, but it would be a gamble. And even at that, you are not going to get as much profit showing La Liga to Spaniards who might only have 2 pints for the duration of the match. Really can see the place being a ghostown unless they do some really good promotion, cheap drink etc (which, again, risks attracting the wrong crowd)

In short, if I was thinking of opening a pub, Id stay clear, Blanch is an area with a high foreign population who seldom if ever go to local pubs and a poor track record for recent start ups (The budabar and the nightclub at The Shanty that lasted for a few weeks due to crowd trouble being two notable ones)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

shane86 wrote: »
    Most people in Ongar seem to be from abroad. You hardly ever see foreign customers in the pubs around here, and anyone in Ongar who wants a local prob heads to the Clonsilla or Paddock.

Dear prejudiced Irish person, I can assure you there are quite a few foreigners who like going to pubs. Sure there are a few pubs in the D15 area where you might not see many foreigners, but it was probably because they were smart enough to know the pub is a rathole.

- Your local friendly foreigner who'd like to go for a pint at the pub in Ongar - if it ever opened - but not to see "their local sports on TV".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I dont drink in the usual suspect pubs. Im talking about the Clonsilla, The Bell etc.

Predjudiced? Yiv lost me, Im simply saying the reason it isnt open is because it would be disastrous business sense in an area where most people dont have a tradition of drinking in pubs, and therefore the only people you would attract are the ones barred from the Clonsilla/Paddock. I certainly wouldnt take it on, and it looks as if nobody else will, probably for the reasons above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The budha bar closed because the blakestown was demolished and the troublesome drinkier moved from there to the budha bar and the management there did not put a stop to the carry on such as underage drinking and people running about in the pub.
    A whole lot of people at that time were barred from the greyhound and started drinking there so it went down hill quickly. So really it was no surprise when someone was killed outside it and it lost it's lience.

The night club at that shanty was always a whole again the wrong element whent hee and caused fights and public order offenses so it got closed down.

Both of these suffered from local irish people frequenting the premises.

Have you been in a pub in poland, romainia ect ?

They have plenty of custom and none of the hassle and idiots compared to most of the pubs in the d15 ares.

We need more pubs but we also need owners and managers who will run a respectable premises and hire the security staff needed to maintain those standards.

I am hoping that the hotel when it opens will have a public bar.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I am hoping that the hotel when it opens will have a public bar.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've lived in littlepace for 2 years, use Ongar village daily and never noticed a hotel being built or heard of it.

Where is it ? Any idea when its opening?

;)Spy

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I presume Thaed is talking about the new hotel being built beside the Blanchardstown Centre.

• Advertisement

zaph wrote: »
    I presume Thaed is talking about the new hotel being built beside the Blanchardstown Centre.

Ahhh, I did guess that!

Have to ease up on getting my hopes up!!

Cheers Zaph!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Of course there's a market for a pub in Ongar - there's probably thousands of people within walking distance who have no other option. They're not all foreign, but then, as said above, not all non-Irish don't go to pubs, just as most Irish don't spend their lives in them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

there's a dunnes in Ongar??

as for the pub, +1 for that idea. am only down the road and would like a new local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes there is beside the dominoes pizza place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

really, never knew that! is it any good?
    I'm down towards Clonsilla direction but often drive through Ongar alright and have mates up there, Saying that though, I only found the xtravision up there recently! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

nurse_baz wrote: »
    really, never knew that! is it any good?
    I'm down towards Clonsilla direction but often drive through Ongar alright and have mates up there, Saying that though, I only found the xtravision up there recently! :)

Sorry to get your hopes up baz, there is a commercial premise in Ongar Village, that is reserved for use as a pub. However it is still vacant and doesn't look like it going to open soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

The Dunnes in Ongar is excellent. We're in Clonsilla and use it all the time. Got pretty much everything you'd need up there as it's a proper supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm also not impressed with the "pub" in Ongar still sitting vacant. It's been nothing but rumour about them finishing it off and opening it since I moved up to Ongar.

Also off topic but I don't find the Dunnes in Ongar that great at all. It's ok for little bits and pieces but very often you'll find a LOT of empty shelves in the meat sections and not enough staff restocking them quick enough. Lucky there's a butchers across the road from it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

FINALLY its opening!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ok thanks, but this thread is a few years old and we have another thread on the go about it already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement