Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which console for xmas gift?

Options
  • 08-12-2007 8:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,i thought id post in here for a not biassed opinion if possible :) as there was no general console forum covering all machines.

Im a pc gamer with a kick ass gaming rig,mostly into online gaming.
    My wife is quizzing me about what i want off the big man this year but there is nothing i can really think of.
    I have all games and hardware for pc i need so all i can think of is a console.

Im not looking for a console war flaming thread just some honest advice on which i may enjoy the most or whether i should bother with a console at all.

360,PS3 or Wii?

Also if i may ask a few questions about the online capabilities of these machines as i admit to not been up to speed on consoles at all.
    Am i correct in thinking neither platform offers dedicated game servers for online games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi folks,i thought id post in here for a not biassed opinion if possible :) as there was no general console forum covering all machines.

Im a pc gamer with a kick ass gaming rig,mostly into online gaming.
    My wife is quizzing me about what i want off the big man this year but there is nothing i can really think of.
    I have all games and hardware for pc i need so all i can think of is a console.

Im not looking for a console war flaming thread just some honest advice on which i may enjoy the most or whether i should bother with a console at all.

360,PS3 or Wii?

Also if i may ask a few questions about the online capabilities of these machines as i admit to not been up to speed on consoles at all.
    Am i correct in thinking neither platform offers dedicated game servers for online games?

I haven't played the PS3. But I have an Xbox 360 and I have no complaints. Especially for online gaming. Xbox Live is really good.

Plus Xbox 360 has way more games available right now. And almost all of them have online play. Almost all unbiased reviewers have said Xbox Live is by far the best online service available to gamers on any platform.

And a recent update that automatically downloads onto your 360 allows you to hook up any external hard drive filled with music and movies and listen to your music or watch your movies straight from the external hard drive through the 360.

I find this great because I have LOADS of divx movies and tv shows on my external hard drive and I can now watch them on my tv and they look super :D

I think this might help a little:

http://www.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/games-gaming-gear/?tag=cnetfd.dir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Get a PSP. TF with the PS3, WII, XBOX etc. Something that you can take to the zoo ftw!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

sand in the UMD drive yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you wont get a wii so rule that out.
    get a ds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

If you are into online gaming go for the X-Box 360 without a doubt :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

~Marky~ wrote: »
    If you are into online gaming go for the X-Box 360 without a doubt :D

yes, but if you want good games get a ps3- assassins creed, mgs4, gta4,

god of war 3, resistance fall of man 2, i could go on :D

seriously though get a ps3, i had an xbox 360, its now my foot rest when i

play ps3 hahah :D:D

:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Don't see how Asassins creed would be enticing. Xbox 360 for current great ganes, PS3 for the long term, Wii for the big kid in you and gameplay over gfx. There's my 2 cents.

Den_M wrote: »
    Don't see how Asassins creed would be enticing. .

have you played it????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

blay1 wrote: »

Assassins creed and GTA 4 are on xbox also, gta is out on xbox before the PS3 actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I have played all and would back the 360 because games are already there, good online set up and better prices and deals

• Advertisement

AdrianII wrote: »
    Assassins creed and GTA 4 are on xbox also, gta is out on xbox before the PS3 actually

i didnt say they were exclusive smart hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

god of war 3, resistance fall of man 2, i could go on :D

seriously though get a ps3, i had an xbox 360, its now my foot rest when i

play ps3 hahah :D:D

Assassins Creed and GTA4 will also be on the 360 so they arent PS3 exclusive.
    The 360 is brilliant online although you do have to pay for it. Plenty of titles available plus there is the marletplace for old xbox games,arcade games and soon to be movies as well i think.

BFassassin wrote: »
    Assassins Creed and GTA4 will also be on the 360 so they arent PS3 exclusive. .

read my previos post ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

read my previos post ffs

I was typing my post when you posted that. I only read it after. Its just the way you said it, it sounded like you were saying they were PS3 exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Oh god grow up you lot. I have all three consoles and I can safely say the xbox 360 is the best, no matter what any previous imbeciles have said to the contrary.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Oh god grow up you lot. I have all three consoles and I can safely say the xbox 360 is the best, no matter what any previous imbeciles have said to the contrary.

ill take it that is directed at me! :D

ill take it in good spirits and not stoop to your level

BFassassin wrote: »
    Its just the way you said it, it sounded like you were saying they were PS3 exclusives.

yeah it does actually, sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

have you played it????

Yep, a big letdown. :(

Den_M wrote: »
    Yep, a big letdown. :(

still good though, bit repetitive but, not the worst game iv palyed

ill take it that is directed at me! :D

ill take it in good spirits and not stoop to your level

did you even read the first post? He said he didn't want it to turn into a console flaming thread. He wanted people to suggest which console would suit him the most. then you post rubbish like "GTA4, GOD OF WAR 3, RESISTANCE 2, MGS4", none of which are even out yet.

• Advertisement

then you post rubbish "ZOMG GOD OF WAR 3, RESISTANCE 2, MGS4", none of which are even out yet.

i have to tell the facts, others were plugging the xbox, i had to plug the ps3,

on my own against about 5 people,

i have own an xbox360 and as i said previosly all it amounts to is an expensive

foot rest.

see how this doesnt contain any personal insults, you should try it :D

Show me where there's a personal insult in that last post. go on.

then you post rubbish like "GTA4, GOD OF WAR 3, RESISTANCE 2, MGS4", none of which are even out yet.

there!

that isnt rubbish, thats fact there games for the ps3,

you just called it rubbish because i was supporting the ps3,

and calling me an imbecile, that explains its self

No it was rubbish because you were just spouting off games that aren't even out yet and could be completely terrible for all we know, so how is that a good reason to buy a ps3? try thinking before you post, it does wonders.

if you did, you could have said that if he likes online gaming, the ps3 has resistance and warhawk. ratchet & clank and uncharted are good ps3 exclusives too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

AdrianII wrote: »

Eh? Where are you getting this from?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Eh? Where are you getting this from?

they're out the same day, don't mind him.

No it was rubbish because you were just spouting off games that aren't even out yet and could be completely terrible for all we know, so how is that a good reason to buy a ps3? try thinking before you post, it does wonders.

and didnt we all hear about halo3 for ages before it came out about how **it

hot it was meant to be , and couldnt it

have been terrible? it ****ing was!

name one mgs game that has been terrible? Hmm? no you cant!

you think before you post

I never said anything about Halo or MS. what the hell are you talking about? picking at straws. I'm not even going to entertain your kind anymore because you clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elimtgdtor42kid

did you even read the first post? He said he didn't want it to turn into a console flaming thread. He wanted people to suggest which console would suit him the most. then you post rubbish like "GTA4, GOD OF WAR 3, RESISTANCE 2, MGS4", none of which are even out yet.

la la la

• Advertisement

I never said anything about Halo or MS. what the hell are you talking about?

i didnt say you i meant the xbox360 afficianados

you said any of the games i named could have been terrible, which included mgs, there has never been a bad mgs and never will

Advertisement