Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which console for xmas gift?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

blay1 wrote: »
    you started it! :D

:cool::cool::cool:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

listen i think this has gone on long enough, and ruined a good thread, i say

we call it quits and just accept each others different opinions, because its not

about the consoles anymore its getting personal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

blay1 wrote: »
    listen i think this has gone on long enough, and ruined a good thread, i say

we call it quits and just accept each others different opinions, because its not

about the consoles anymore its getting personal

And they all lived happily ever after. The End

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cully see what youve started

Tell me about it,fecking hell !

Ill read through full thread tomorrow and try pick out the useful bits :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Tell me about it,fecking hell !

Ill read through full thread tomorrow and try pick out the useful bits :)

theres no point its just mindless insults being thrown back and forth, no

substance

• Advertisement

Nah my insults were thoroughly planned and relevant, not mindless.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Nah my insults were thoroughly planned and relevant, not mindless.

jesus i thought we ended this, dont go seeking another row, stop being smart

Then why did you post again? i'm not looking for any arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

will one of you stop posting then ffs :D

ShaneU wrote: »
    Then why did you post again? i'm not looking for any arguments.

i posted in response to the OP's post,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

In my humble opinion, the 360 is a good bit better than the PS3. I'm sure the PS3 has heaps of potential, but I want to play decent games now damnit!
    Ratchet and Clank is fun, and Uncharted looks great, but apart from that there still aren't enough exclusive titles on the horizon to justify a purchase. Mass Effect and PGR4 have both helped reignite my love of 2 seperate genres this year, I have a feeling that it'll be a long time before I can say the same thing about any PS3 game.
    I also prefer my Wii to my PS3, but that's like comparing apples and oranges.

360 = nice crunchy granny smith
    PS3 = cooking apple
    Wii = ...erm... not sure where I'm going with this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have all three. For me the xbox 360 is by far the console I play the most. The library of games contains some wonderful games already and the online service is brilliant. However many of these games would probably best be played on your PC.

The PS3 has gotten about 12 hours of play time since I bought the thing 4 months ago. It just doesn't have any decent exclusives barring Uncharted which isn't the amazing game people are making it out to be. There are good games on it but they are all on the 360 and usually play slightly better on the 360. As for future potential all I can see thats on the horizon is MGS 4 that interests me.

The Wii is a great buy if you regularly have house parties or friends too stingy to buy a Wii for their own house parties. A really excellent party machine. For traditional games there isn't much at the moment but it's definitely improved immensely in the last 2 months. Metroid Prime 3 is great and Mario Galaxy is the best game I've played in years and worth the price of a wii alone.

I think for you the toss up is between a 360 and Wii. The 360 is a wonderful console but I think it may just give you an inferior way of playing the PC games you like. You should consider the Wii because it offers something different to the usual PC games you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

pc gamer?then probably a x360 then,lots of game and great online service(tho i havent really tried the online thingy;) at least better than ps3 and wii)....but beware...lots of game i said are kinda for core gamer of *video games*,so you may not find them that entertaining as pc games...?really depends on OP:)

a wii will be a complete new experience for you if you havent touch any tv video games:D at least i can ensure that you will have fun with your family/buddies...100% guarantee!so,this may become a console for all of ya family member tho *if you are not interested for those single player games*...

really depends on OP taste,have few friends have been merely playing pc games...failed to pull them into video game so far...except for mario football and wii sport:D:D

or maybe Op should get a DS tho...it's great!and you can let your wife play while you are playing pc games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Hi folks,i thought id post in here for a not biassed opinion if possible :) as there was no general console forum covering all machines.

Im a pc gamer with a kick ass gaming rig,mostly into online gaming.
    My wife is quizzing me about what i want off the big man this year but there is nothing i can really think of.
    I have all games and hardware for pc i need so all i can think of is a console.

Im not looking for a console war flaming thread just some honest advice on which i may enjoy the most or whether i should bother with a console at all.

360,PS3 or Wii?

Also if i may ask a few questions about the online capabilities of these machines as i admit to not been up to speed on consoles at all.
    Am i correct in thinking neither platform offers dedicated game servers for online games?

I'll address your first question last - the 360 doesn't offer dedicated game servers, while the PS3 is more open and varies by game. I know Warhawk and Resistance both have dedicated servers, not sure about others.

As for which is better, I'm in the minority here but I much prefer the PS3. Both consoles are great buys though because there are many great multiplatform games on both. So with that said I'll talk about exclusives.

For the 360, you have Mass Effect and you have Crackdown. They are the only two games worth owning that I can name which aren't also on PC and/or PS3. There is of course Halo 3, but if you're into PC FPS games you'll find the game awful, because it really is an average console shooter thats been hyped to ridiculous degrees. The release list for next year also looks to be really drying up for the 360 too, as I'm struggling to name any future must have exclusives.

On the PS3, you have Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk and Folklore which all came out in the last couple of months. All of these games are vastly different in terms of how they play, you've got a platformer, a fighter, an action RPG, an online shooter and a story driven third person shooter there. Singstar also came out this week if you're into that kind of thing, and Sony have a huge release list for the future continuing their spread into a wide variety of genres, led of course by Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, and joined by the likes of Gran Turismo, White Knight Stories, Infamous, God of War 3 and Valkyries of the Battlefield. This is something you don't get on the 360 where practically every game is about shooting stuff and blowing stuff up, great for that video games stereotype.

Also, Sony have had a great rate of bringing out really brilliant and creative little downloadable games for good value on their online store. If you don't love Loco Roco (look up videos), you have no soul. There's a bunch of other great games too. Microsoft have some decent stuff in this area too, and have a much higher quantity of games than Sony, but the quality isn't quite of the same standard.

Final point is that you said your a PC gamer. Does this mean you didn't own a PS2? If not, make sure to get a 60GB PS3 with backwards compatibility. The PS2 back catalogue has more great games than the PS3, 360 and Wii combined, and will for quite some time.

Thanks for input guys.
    I do admit that the power and potential of PS3 interests me,id like to wait 6 months or so to see whats released for it.
    The 360 is great but i had one when first released and just did not play it at all as there was just so much more better stuff installed on my pc back then.
    I realise now it has a huge library of games but again i keep asking myself will i play it with a high end pc sitting next to it with many great titles installed.

The Wii?
    Now this is a different kettle of fish and something totally different to anything i have on pc.
    Ive played it at friends and loved the tennis ,golf,bowlong etc but i did wonder whether it offers any games of real depth that will make me want to play more than my pc.

Decisions decisions :)

Thanks for all your input guys,i can see many positives and some negatives of all 3 consoles but the only real negative for all three is the fact i have this high end gaming pc in the first place.
    My biggest concern is whether ill really enjoy A CONSOLE at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

If you already have a good PC then as most of the xbox 360 exclusives will most likely come out for PC eventually as most of them are published by Microsoft Game Studios.

I got a xbox 360 and wii. The wii kinda sucks seeing as there is hardly any online play and only around 2 decent games for it. The xbox 360 is a great console but if you already have a PC like I said you might be better off with a PS3.

if you have played pc's all your gaming life, id say stick with it, stay with

what you know, iv always been a console gamer and never really took to the

pc side of things and people i know that are pc gamers dont go for the

console scene and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I've always been more inclined to favour console gaming, much less hassle than PC. There's never a need to upgrade, you will be fully capable of playing (almost) all the latest high profile games at an optimised level. Online is a breeze to enter and exit compared to PC.

Since you already seem to be contented with PC gaming, than there is little point in getting a PS3/Xbox360, they offer little that the PC doesn't. The Wii as I'm sure you know is about as far from PC gaming as you'll get with any console, the variety might keep you interested for a short while, but it's a one trick pony. I've had mine for 6 months and it's only ever been on when people are over.

Have a look around the game shop and see what games you'd liek to play and can't on your PC, then buy the console they can play on. Limit your choice based on the games you'd like to play and at least you'll be entertained while you play these few titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RyGaR

Get a Sega Megadrive lad!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Owning a 360 and ps3 id have to recommend the 360. I cant comment on the wii but quite franky that console doesnt appeal to me in the slightest. I know you had a 360 early on, i also had one early, and it was left untouched in favour of my PC to play stuff like far cry, bfv and cs:s on my rig but the 360's library has literally exploded this year, with amazing games (some of which are on pc too tho) but games like dead rising, the darkness, halo 3, DiRT, Gears, Crackdown, and the promise of upcoming titles like GTA4 really do make the 360 the most attractive console for a 'hardcore' gamer. Also great arcade games like street fighter 2, geometry wars, sonic, castlevania, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'd pick up a Wii if i were you. If you have a decent rig then most of the type of games you'd get on the Ps3 and 360 you'd already have on the PC. Especially with both machines trying their best to ape the PC by releasing a shed load of FPS games, each more average and bland than the last.

It Wii is actually something different to the rest, it'd offer you something that you won't get on the PC, or on the other two consoles.

Plus, the Virtual console means you can go back through a the last few eras of console gaming and play some of the best games ever. If LocoRoco Cocoreccho and Stardust HD are plus points for the Ps3, then Legend of Zelda: Link to the past and the sonic games are double plus points for the Wii.

And i say that as someone who loves locoroco (just wish i didn't have to buy sony hardware just to get at it)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

360 by far. Get a PS3 next year when it has more games. The Wii is a great companion console (ie, in addition to either a 360 or PS3). Try not to listen to fanboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

RyGaR wrote: »
    Get a Sega Megadrive lad!!!! :D

pfft.. SNES ftw.

I'd go with the 360 myself. Seems to have the better games and the lower price tag (over the PS3).

But if you already use your PC for most of your gameplay then maybe a Wii is the best bet. It's cheaper again and the good games for it really won't ever turn up on PC, or anywhere else.

Must have (non-'party') Wii games : Mario Galaxy, Zelda : Twilight Princess, Resi4, Metroid Prime3, Super Paper Mario. ...if you can see yourself playing these types of games, get a Wii.

Well if im being honest,right now the PS3 looks tempting to but but i might wait a few months to be sure.
    Its power seems more future proof to me and looking at the list of titles coming next year it looks like a big year for PS3.
    Then again i could be wrong and could still change to a 360 but for now i decided to tell the missus to hold off on any console till next year to see what interests m8.
    Right now between COD4,Gears of war,PES8,Race 07,WOW,RO,DODS,TF2,World in conflict im far too busy to even consider a console.

Thanks to all for input,ill bookmark this thread for when i do feel totally tempted by a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

If you love racing SIMS the 360 also has Forza 2, big community and a great racer, plug in the 360 wireless wheel and it feels great

Can i ask what cables come with the PS3 and 360?
    Ive got a 32" Panasonic Viera lcd that ill use if i eventually decide what to do.
    It has inputs for HDMI,are the ps3 and 360 compatabile out of the box?

Based on this list of games coming next year most titles will be on both 360 and PS3.

I have a slight concern about the reliability of the 360 tbh.
    I know 2 guys who suffer overheating issues on a regular basis,im always reading about the ring of death.
    It has amazing titles true but so will the PS3 soon.

Having said that i think id be missing out on mass affect and a few more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3 comes with ****ty composite so you will need a HDMI cable. The 360 comes with component cables so you can get HD out of the box. Not too surebut the elite might come with HDMI out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Neither console comes with HDMI cables but both are compatible, you can pick any third party one up for pretty cheap.

The 360 does come with composite cables tho which the PS3 lacks, only having standard definition cables. However the PS3 does come with built in rechargeable batteries and cable for the joypad while the 360 doesn't, so you'll be spending more on extra cables for the 360 either way.

Anyone who thinks that the PS3's supposed extra power future proofs the console should look at last gen. The Gamecube and Xbox was leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 but the PS2 ended up dictating how third party games looked on each console. There was only a heandful of GC games that utilised it's full power and even less on the xbox.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks that the PS3's supposed extra power future proofs the console should look at last gen. The Gamecube and Xbox was leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 but the PS2 ended up dictating how third party games looked on each console. There was only a heandful of GC games that utilised it's full power and even less on the xbox.

Very good point and a point i tend to go along with.

Ok so far there are games on all 3 i think i would enjoy.

360 - Mass effect [looks superb],Halo3 [seems an average fps],maybe PGR4 and Forza2

PS3 - Warhawk [seems the best console multiplayer title],Uncharted,Motorstorm,ratchet and clank [so long since i played a game like it], future titles like MGS,GT5

Wii - Great fun ive had with a friends wii and party type games but i just wonder if its a one trick pony.
    Ive decided to add a wii to my 5 year old boys xmas list if i can source it ,
    [lol we already got his stuff but the thought of him and my wife playing bowling etc brings a smile to my face :)]
    I think he is ready for a wii as he was messing around with his uncles 360 over the weekend and loved it so a wii for would be nice.

The PS3 seems to be working its way to the top for me,the 360s appeal is diminishing the more i think of no dedicated servers for online games [i recall when i got a 360 soon after realease i was playing GRAW online only for every game i joined ending as soon as i joined as the host was called for dinner or something,this is NOT online gaming imo]
    I understand warhawk and resistance have dedi servers.
    Also im concerned about the ring of death rubbish.

My immediate plan is to try get a wii for my son for xmas and if not then soon after xams.
    Ill hold off till early in the new year on the 360/ps3 ,ive got cod4,tf2,gears of war,wow and pes2008 to keep me busy over xmas :)

Again thanks to all for input,its proved very valuable.

Advertisement