Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which console for xmas gift?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well i thought i had made up my mind but after reading these two articles i have small doubts about the PS3.
    I thought the PS3 had the most power?
    I admit to only seeing 2 PS3 games in action ona friends machine,uncharted just blew me away with its visuals.
    Or is it a case of bad programming?
    Im reading a lot about the 360s superior scalability,anoyne know what this actually means?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88461

While im at it ,im very concerned about the rings of death i read about everywhere.
    Whats the difference in normal 360 and the elite version?
    Does the elite version suffer ring of death?

Sorry for all the nooby questions but ive been away from consoles for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Dcully wrote: »
    Well i thought i had made up my mind but after reading these two articles i have small doubts about the PS3.
    I thought the PS3 had the most power?
    I admit to only seeing 2 PS3 games in action ona friends machine,uncharted just blew me away with its visuals.
    Or is it a case of bad programming?
    Im reading a lot about the 360s superior scalability,anoyne know what this actually means?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88461

While im at it ,im very concerned about the rings of death i read about everywhere.
    Whats the difference in normal 360 and the elite version?
    Does the elite version suffer ring of death?

Sorry for all the nooby questions but ive been away from consoles for so long.

The 360 has a slightly better graphics card and the PS3 has a better processor, along with much more storage space on the disc.

Graphics are the primary thing you notice in multiplatform games however, especially ones that don't optimise for the console. For example, the PS3 version of the Orange Box uses only one of the console's seven CPU cores. It's a miracle the game runs at all.

In the case of games designed for the PS3 though, Uncharted and Gran Turismo 5 have outclassed anything that can be found on the 360, and it is possible we'll see more of that in future. It's very dependent on what the developers put into it though.

By the 360's superior scalability, I think you mean scaling, which is its ability to scale SD games up to HD, or scale 720p content up to 1080p. In the early days its superiority in this area was talked about a lot but I never hear it mentioned lately, I have a feeling firmware updates may have patched up this area on the PS3 but I've no first hand experience.

As for the rings of death, I bought a 360 in December 2005 and had sent it in for repair 4 times by this Summer when I sold it. I bought a new one a couple of weeks ago and going well though - newer models are meant to be more reliable. The Elite is the exact same console in a different colour with a bigger hard drive - I don't see the need myself but if you plan on copying a lot of video to it the hard drive could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I have only had one problem with 360 reliability, my original launch console failed after a few months, got a replacement and it never had a problem (and as you can imagine I use my 360 all the time). We have a second 360 too and it's never had an issue. We bought one for someone else and it has been fine too.

If you do end up getting a 360, as far as the difference goes, if you are set on black and think you'll want to download HD movies, check out the Elite. Otherwise Premium is just fine and now has HDMI too. At the end of the day I think it's best to own both a PS3 and a 360, but having both, right now my recommendation is still the latter. So get a 360 and then get a PS3 later next year and complete your console trilogy ;)

Oh and pick up Resi 4 for your Wii if you haven't played it already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I wasn't that interested in remote play on PS3 but I am now!
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&message.id=166903#M166903

"12-18-07 UPDATE: You can now play your PS1 downloadable titles via remote play. You can also play your PS1 discs via remote play!! This is HUGE news!"

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys.
    I read this on another article and it does also concern me if i decide to go with a ps3.

The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As an owner of both the PS3 and the 360, I'd have to admit that if I had to
    pick just one it'd be the 360. Sony's mantra when it comes to any European
    game releases for the PS3 is constantly 'coming soon'.

Whilst most games tend to be multi-platform, it's easier to pick up 360 games
    cheaper. Just look at Play-Asia.com, as most 360 games are region free
    you'll rarely pay more than €40 for a new release. Multiplatform games
    tend to get released on the 360 slightly before the PS3 as well,
    (The Darkness, Orange Box, etc) probably connected to the development
    issues mentioned in earlier posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Whilst most games tend to be multi-platform, it's easier to pick up 360 games
    cheaper. Just look at Play-Asia.com, as most 360 games are region free
    you'll rarely pay more than €40 for a new release. Multiplatform games
    tend to get released on the 360 slightly before the PS3 as well,
    (The Darkness, Orange Box, etc) probably connected to the development
    issues mentioned in earlier posts.

All games on the PS3 are region free (afaik), but most Asian sites refuse to sell them to EU customers due to Sony being a bunch of cocks. You can still get them cheaply from ebay and sites like VG+ and Movietyme (my personal fave)
    I'm beginning to warm more and more to the PS3*, but I'd still recommend the 360 over it.

*especially now with the updated divx support and remote play... Pretty cool that you can now play your ps1 games on the PSP without resorting to dodgy firmware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

tman wrote: »
    All games on the PS3 are region free (afaik), but most Asian sites refuse to sell them to EU customers due to Sony being a bunch of cocks. You can still get them cheaply from ebay and sites like VG+ and Movietyme (my personal fave)
    I'm beginning to warm more and more to the PS3*, but I'd still recommend the 360 over it.

*especially now with the updated divx support and remote play... Pretty cool that you can now play your ps1 games on the PSP without resorting to dodgy firmware

I'm well aware of the Lik-Sang saga and the issue with getting Sony games
    from Asia. Play-Asia are a great retailer and to me it's a major plus for the
    360 without having to worry about dodgy ebay sellers.

Well people i went for the 360 in the end.
    It was the library of games and the fact developers see it as their number one target that swung it.
    Ill probably get a PS3 when i see more titles as good as Uncharted added to its collection.

Picked up the pro system along with Forza2,Halo3,Mass Effect and some other freebie crappy game.

Really strugglking with the controls on Halo in particular,im too used to a mouse.
    Mass effect seems a really special game.
    Id like to get some sports titles for it soon.
    Anyone know how good Tiger woods golf is on it?
    I have PES2008 on pc already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sylver72

Hi,
    I was thinking of buying a ps3 in the u.s and was wondering if anyone knows of any issues with using it this side of the pond. eg region coding etc?
    also is it possible to mod the ps3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

sylver72 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was thinking of buying a ps3 in the u.s and was wondering if anyone knows of any issues with using it this side of the pond. eg region coding etc?
    also is it possible to mod the ps3?

Movies, PS1 games and PS2 games are region coded. PS3 games are not. So depends what you're using it for.

There's no PS3 mods that I know of but it supports Linux as standard so there's no reason you'd want to mod one unless it was for the purposes of piracy...

steviec wrote: »

There's no PS3 mods that I know of but it supports Linux as standard so there's no reason you'd want to mod one unless it was for the purposes of piracy...

Or to play imported PS2 games. Like you said yourself, they are region coded.

Advertisement