Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Polo, few questions...

Options
  • 08-12-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Well lads,

I need to find out a few things about a Polo 1.0L before i make the plunge for me first car... If any1 knows where i'll find spurious prices for parts and the likes, it would be greatly appreciated...

I'd more or less be looking for a clutch...

Also there's one other problem, when it's raining, or goes throught a puddle etc, the car sometimes judders. Any idea's what this could be?

Also for the record, the car is 99 1.0l with 105,000 miles.

Thanks
    LM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most motor factors will stock a clutch for a Polo.

As for the rain/puddle problem - sounds odd - but I'd begin by checking inside the distributor cap for moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks... Do u have any idea of the cost, includin rough idea of labour, for the whole clutch job...

Hmmm - depends on where you get it done and what labour rate they charge. Somewhere around 4 hours labour and maybe €150/€200 for the parts. I'm guessing to a certain extent, but I'd say there are other Boardsies who with Polos that have had clutches recently enough.

As your in Limerick, give Franklin Motors in Ballysimon a call, Robert will give you a price over the phone.

Will do, sound... I'm thinkin of buyin that Polo as a first... What u think of the value.... 2k as is...Although needs a bonnet respray(not too worried about){little white dots}, and of course the clutch. It's not gone, just need replacing. No power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Will do, sound... I'm thinkin of buyin that Polo as a first... What u think of the value.... 2k as is...Although needs a bonnet respray(not too worried about){little white dots}, and of course the clutch. It's not gone, just need replacing. No power steering.

Too expensive for a car that needs a clutch (Bill could be 800eur w/fitting ), take a look in buy and sell and there's plenty of better deals. If you got it down a few hundred think about it. Don't rush into buying the first car you see, i did and had awful bother :(

• Advertisement

Thanks eringobragh... I know a mechanic tha would do it cheap enough... It is more the part i'm concerned about... Price wise now?

2K seems to be the going rate for that car, there a solid enough motor as well.

If you got him down a few hundred i'd think about it althouigh the rain juttery , i think water/ damp is getting in at the engine spark plugs/distrib cap from some place.

Had a look theres a 99 Polo 77k in buy and sell for 2K.

A Clutch is something that will eventually die depends on the user, shouldn't be any problem getting a part. I've 178K on the car and still original clutch & clutch cable :) ... The first of everything is always the best in a car!!

FWIW, a workmate recently bought a 1998 Polo with 62K miles (t/belt done) for €2750. I don't know whether or not it has PAS. I'd be inclined to agree with eringobrath and do a bit more footwork.

I've been keepin an eye out for the last two months and alot of ****e seems to be coming up. A neighbour of mine is sellin a 1997, nct 02/08, 125k for 1850, which i think is madness... I have a budget of 4500, but that's includin insurance...

I'll take a look in the buy and sell and see what's about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You sure it's just the clutch that is at fault? AFAIK some of these Polos had gearbox trouble, and I know someone ('98, low enough mileage) and have seen a couple of people here who have had to replace the whole gearbox.

Personally, I think Polos are overpriced for what they are. You'll be able to get a Fiesta, Micra or something else of a similar age with lower milage, PAS, an airbag (dunno if that '99 you're looking at has one but older ones won't) or two, a more powerful engine and a decent clutch for a similar price.

• Advertisement

You sure it's just the clutch that is at fault? AFAIK some of these Polos had gearbox trouble, and I know someone ('98, low enough mileage) and have seen a couple of people here who have had to replace the whole gearbox.

Personally, I think Polos are overpriced for what they are. You'll be able to get a Fiesta, Micra or something else of a similar age with lower milage, PAS, an airbag (dunno if that '99 you're looking at has one but older ones won't) or two, a more powerful engine and a decent clutch for a similar price.

Ya i'll definitly agree with u there... I might go for a fiesta, i couldn't go for a micra, just for its...er...micra-ness... Although i might try stretch the budget and go for a 00 new model Polo...

Don't knock the Micra there a well built engine, but i wouldn't drive one myself ;)
    Suzuki Swift are an OK from a reliability end.

You'll get a 99 00 fiesta between the 2 & 3k margin and they've a pretty good selection of extras.

Do you have an engine size limitation??

I could push it out to 1.2-1.3... Depends if i can get my way into garage insurance then i'll be getttin an Impeza:D... But no, 1.3 would be a max... Althought the lesser the better in my case..

There'll be little difference in your insurance between a 1l and a 1.3l so get as much as you can!

Neatly 600-700 is alot on a small budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Oh no dont pay 2k, i paid 800 for a 98.You can find bargains in buy and sell.I then sold that in mint condition for over 2k but yours has too much time and money involvement in it.Dont bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to put the overpriced Polo your looking at into perspective, you can get something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=801875

It's a year newer, has a better engine, comes with nice standard features such as power steering, air conditioning, etc and probably doesn't need a new clutch.

Just my 2c.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just to put the overpriced Polo your looking at into perspective, you can get something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=801875

It's a year newer, has a better engine, comes with nice standard features such as power steering, air conditioning, etc and probably doesn't need a new clutch.

Just my 2c.

I just spotted a 98 red 5 door fiesta in a stealership... I enquire tot eh price but i bet it'll be upwards in 3k... Has 58miles on it... Look ok... Will se how things go tomorrow... Will let ye know... In the meantime if any1 spots anything in the limerick area, or is sellin one, pm me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Anyone considering buying a VW should check ou this site first

http://vagdrivers.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

A friend of mine had a 00 polo which developed a clutch problem. It turned out to be the "pedal box" which is basically the metal bodywork around the clutch pedal itself!! Apparently this is a common problem with the polos of that age and is definitely worth getting checked out as it is a big job to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I just spotted a 98 red 5 door fiesta in a stealership... I enquire tot eh price but i bet it'll be upwards in 3k... Has 58miles on it... Look ok... Will se how things go tomorrow... Will let ye know... In the meantime if any1 spots anything in the limerick area, or is sellin one, pm me...

I got a '98 5dr with 67k miles for €2.5k over a year ago. I've seen newer, better specced Fiestas go for less privately. Regarding the 1.25 you'd probably be better off with a slightly higher mileage as the timing belt will be done (Ford say 100k but I don't think anyone believes them). 1.3 is a pushrod so only has a small chain (doesn't usually need changing).

I got a '98 5dr with 67k miles for €2.5k over a year ago. I've seen newer, better specced Fiestas go for less privately. Regarding the 1.25 you'd probably be better off with a slightly higher mileage as the timing belt will be done (Ford say 100k but I don't think anyone believes them). 1.3 is a pushrod so only has a small chain (doesn't usually need changing).

I rang them up that day, sold it for €4000. "You must of caught a fool" i said to the salesman, and that was that... I bought a Polo in the end anyway lads... The one i origionally posted about..Got it cheap too, very cheap:D

Thanks for the help
    LM

Advertisement