Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Network Cable

Options
  • 08-12-2007 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of laying network cable at home and I have laid Cat5 before but I wanted to future proof things and possibly have a gigabit capable network. I know that Ive to get Ca6 cable but do I also have to get different connectors for Cat6 or can the same connectors for Cat5 be used?

Also just outta curiosity does anyone know where I can get a wall plate that has connections for Coax (satellite) and a network connection?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Maplin might have them......but unsure if such wallplates even exist! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

CAT5e will support Gigabit Ethernet just fine but there's no reason not to go with CAT6. Someone asked about this recently enough and CAT5 RJ-45 connectors will fit with a little difficulty because CAT6 cable is a bit thicker than CAT5. I think it was r02 that said Radionics stock RJ-45 connectors for CAT6 cable. They might also have the wall plates you're looking for.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

Cheers for the feedback :-) Unfortunately Im under the gun for time as the cable has to be laid before the floor is put down. I will go with the Cat5 for now and try to maybe use conduiting so I can upgrade in the future.

Dave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

if possible try lay the cable loosely and if it turns out you need 1gb + speed in time, you can attach cat6 cable to one end of the cat5 cable thats inplace and pull the other end trough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yes, use conduit for all that cable as things will change in the future. It is impossible (or near silly to even try) to future proof anything in relation to technology. Its better to focus on making it easy to replace/upgrade in the future instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement